Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Prompt set UC_DATATYPE_TIME fields displayed with AM/PM in AWI

Posted Aug 07, 2018 05:37 AM

While testing my Automation Engine tracing workflow in AWI 12.2, I discovered a heretofore unseen behavior.

At least in some situations, prompt set fields of type UC_DATATYPE_TIME are displayed with AM/PM, instead of in HH:MM format.We sometimes use UC_DATATYPE_TIME fields for durations rather than specific times of day. E.g, 03:45 will represent three hours and forty-five minutes, not three forty-five in the morning. This behavior, new in the AWI, prevents us from continuing to use these fields in this way.

Has anyone seen this behavior? Is there a work-around?

• 2.  Re: Prompt set UC_DATATYPE_TIME fields displayed with AM/PM in AWI

Posted Aug 07, 2018 10:02 AM

Do you have try to use the time display adjustment in the user settings of the AWI? This should change it from AM / PM to a regular 24 hours format. Actual I've no 12.2 running in 12.1.2 I get the format in the prompt set correct.

• 3.  Re: Prompt set UC_DATATYPE_TIME fields displayed with AM/PM in AWI

Posted Aug 07, 2018 10:24 AM

Yup, that was the answer. This data type is usable as a duration only if the AWI is set to 24-hour mode.

• 4.  Re: Prompt set UC_DATATYPE_TIME fields displayed with AM/PM in AWI

Posted Aug 09, 2018 05:51 AM

I did some testing, and confirmed the following:

1. In the JUI, the time format makes no difference. All UC_DATATYPE_TIME prompt set fields are displayed in HH:MM format, regardless of the time format setting.
    2. In the AWI, the time format determines how UC_DATATYPE_TIME prompt set fields are displayed:
      • If the time format is 24-hours, UC_DATATYPE_TIME prompt set fields are displayed in HH:MM format.
      • If the time format is 12-hours, UC_DATATYPE_TIME prompt set fields are displayed in HH:MM AM/PM format. The AWI’s field validation reports problems with such fields that lack the AM/PM suffix, and may not permit the prompt set to be submitted.

I opened an incident about this to ask it this change in behavior between the JUI and AWI was intentional. The official answer from Automic Development is yes. In other words, in the AWI it is not possible to use UC_DATATYPE_TIME prompt set fields to enter durations of time unless the time format is set to 24-hours.

#timeformatting #automicwebinterface

• 5.  Re: Prompt set UC_DATATYPE_TIME fields displayed with AM/PM in AWI

Posted Aug 09, 2018 05:54 AM

This raises an interesting question: because the batch developer & system administrator have no control over the user’s AWI time format setting, there is no way for the designer of the prompt set to prevent the user from running into the above problem, and being unable to submit the prompt set.

Is there a way to create a data type specifically for time durations?