Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Apptio Integration - API set-up

Posted Aug 24, 2019 12:37 PM
    Hi - We just upgraded to 15.6.1 and I noticed that API Keys are in beta mode. I haven't worked much with APIs and was wondering if anyone has set theirs up to integrate with Apptio Financials? Any tips or information would be helpful! thanks!

• 2.  RE: Apptio Integration - API set-up
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 25, 2019 12:31 AM
    If you're referring to the API Keys settings in the System Options and/or modern UX either in the administration section or off the user menus, then these are api keys for accessing Clarity's own REST API from other sources.  I.e. you generate api keys for Clarity that other apps can use to authenticate via token based authorization.

However it is only currently available for internal use by some partners to help check that it works and can meet the needs; there would be no supported integrations occurring yet - keep your eyes peeled on the status of it for the next release.

• 3.  RE: Apptio Integration - API set-up

Posted Aug 26, 2019 10:48 AM
    An easier way to deal with this is just to extract data to CSV. Then have Apptio's SFTP for consumer service pick the file up and import it. We've been doing that for the last couple of years with great success.

Thanks,
    Josh

• 4.  RE: Apptio Integration - API set-up

Posted Aug 27, 2019 12:12 PM
    Thanks for sharing your process, Joshua.

For us, Apptio requires
    1.  Several key fields to be populated, such as Impacted Cost Center; Primary Impacted Service, Primary Impacted Application, and Investment Type.
    2.  If a change to the Project Name or Project Number occurred; we have to update all historical monthly snapshots w/ the updated name.

For (1); we didn't make these fields mandatory in Clarity because it's not required for all projects logged in Clarity.  It's only needed for the "large" projects we send over to Apptio.  For us, "Small" projects aren't fed to Apptio; therefore, don't require these mandatory Apptio fields to be populated.

Question:
    1.  Do you also have these requirements on your end?  I'm wondering whether this is an Apptio general requirement or just our configuration.
    1b.  If you have this requirement; how do you ensure that the conditions are met.  For us; I export our data to a spreadsheet, and perform a Data Quality assessment.  And when it passes; I forward the CSV file to Apptio for upload. 

I recognize this is not very efficient; hence, why I'm reaching out searching for a better way.  :)

Thanks.
    Gio

• 5.  RE: Apptio Integration - API set-up

Posted Aug 27, 2019 04:47 PM
    We generally only setup extracts that meet the quality for the final system.  If you have to eyeball them to make that determination that would be pretty difficult.

We would do as you did if project name changes occurred.

Thanks,
    Josh
    For us, Apptio requires
    1.  Several key fields to be populated, such as Impacted Cost Center; Primary Impacted Service, Primary Impacted Application, and Investment Type.
    2.  If a change to the Project Name or Project Number occurred; we have to update all historical monthly snapshots w/ the updated name.

For (1); we didn't make these fields mandatory in Clarity because it's not required for all projects logged in Clarity.  It's only needed for the "large" projects we send over to Apptio.  For us, "Small" projects aren't fed to Apptio; therefore, don't require these mandatory Apptio fields to be populated.

Question:
    1.  Do you also have these requirements on your end?  I'm wondering whether this is an Apptio general requirement or just our configuration.
    1b.  If you have this requirement; how do you ensure that the conditions are met.  For us; I export our data to a spreadsheet, and perform a Data Quality assessment.  And when it passes; I forward the CSV file to Apptio for upload. 
    Giovanni Sanchez,  08-27-2019 12:11 PM