DX Application Performance Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to display alias name, instead of hostname in Workstation?

• 1.  How to display alias name, instead of hostname in Workstation?

Posted Dec 27, 2010 10:36 AM
    Hi,

Happy Holidays to all. I'm trying to look for a way to display server alias name, instead of hostname in Workstation. Is this possible? Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: How to display alias name, instead of hostname in Workstation?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 28, 2010 12:19 PM
    Please refer to my previous post about this.

Your other options are to use a custom process name or agent name.

-Hiko

• 3.  RE: How to display alias name, instead of hostname in Workstation?

Posted Dec 28, 2010 12:46 PM
    Thanks for reply. Please forgive my ignorance as I'm still pretty new to Wily.

1. What is PS engagement?
    2. Can you explain more on custom process or agent name?

-...RegionA1003 <-- hostname
    :
    -...JBOSS
    :
    +...billingapp01-vm1
    +...billingapp01-vm2
    +...billingapp01-vm3

billingapp01 is the alias.

• 4.  RE: How to display alias name, instead of hostname in Workstation?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 04, 2011 03:06 PM
    The custom process name in your example would be JBOSS.

Change the following value in your agent profile:

introscope.agent.customProcessName=JBOSS

Replace JBOSS with your new value.

A Professional Services Engagement is what your company needs to do in order to engage CA to provide a resource to help fulfill a need. Your company and CA will work out a statement of work that outlines the rules of engagement and the cost. Your company should have already purchased PS hours which can be used for this purpose. The statement of work can be as generic or specific as you like. Examples are to help with major deployment or when you require and SME for a critical situation (CritSit). You can also request a resource who can development custom code for your environment.

-Hiko

• 5.  RE: How to display alias name, instead of hostname in Workstation?

Posted Jan 07, 2011 03:01 PM
    Per CA Support Team, "Cannot be done". Not good for companies that lease their servers. So when you have lease replacement of old servers, you will have to remember all new hostnames.

• 6.  RE: How to display alias name, instead of hostname in Workstation?
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 11, 2012 04:24 PM
    The host name can be overridden for an agent by adding the following property and assigning the desired value to the IntroscopeAgent.profile:
    [font=Courier New]introscope.agent.hostName=<desired host name>[font]

• 7.  RE: How to display alias name, instead of hostname in Workstation?

Posted Dec 13, 2012 09:08 AM
    Thank you, jakbulter! I been waiting and waiting on CA Supports to get back to me on this but you nailed it. Thank you.

• 8.  RE: How to display alias name, instead of hostname in Workstation?

Posted Jan 25, 2013 03:16 PM
    [size=6]@jakbutler - have you tried using introscope.agent.hostName=<desired host name> in the jvm setting? It does not appear to work.

So this is how we invoke the agent. We have this in our jvm settings and the agent comes up clean.

-javaagent:/agent_home/Agent.jar -Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile=/agent_home/core/config/IntroscopeAgent.profile -Dcom.wily.introscope.agent.agentName=<desired agent name>

What I want to accomplish is this. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Perhaps my jvm setting for desired host name is wrong?

-javaagent:/agent_home/Agent.jar -Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile=/agent_home/core/config/IntroscopeAgent.profile -Dcom.wily.introscope.agent.agentName=<desired agent name> -Dcom.wily.introscope.agent.hostName=<desired host name>[size]

• 9.  RE: How to display alias name, instead of hostname in Workstation?

Posted Jan 28, 2013 11:15 AM
    No, I have not tried adding that property as an argument to the JVM upon startup; I have only used it as a property in within the IntroscopeAgent.profile properties file (e.g. /agent_home/core/config/IntroscopeAgent.profile).

• 10.  RE: How to display alias name, instead of hostname in Workstation?

Posted Jan 28, 2013 12:38 PM
    Maintenance can very expensive for a large company. We have to keep track the hostname for every single servers. I submitted an enhancement request to have the ability to include this property in the jvm startup script.

https://caideation.secure.force.com/ideation/ideaView?id=087a0000000idsvAAA

• 11.  RE: How to display alias name, instead of hostname in Workstation?

Posted Feb 22, 2013 01:20 PM
    Just got off the phone with CA Support, you can use the following arguments in your startup script to dynamically pass in the agent name and hostname.

-Dcom.wily.introscope.agent.agentName=desired_agentname
    -Dintroscope.agent.hostName=desired_hostname

Alternative, you can also use these two properties in agent.properties but your maintenance over head will be tremendous. You will have to maintain each agent.properties per server.

introscope.agent.agentName=desired_agentname
    introscope.agent.hostName=desired_agentname

This is a sample of our jvm arguments to invoke the agent.

WILY_HOME=${JBOSS_HOME}/wily
    WILY_JAVA_OPTS="-javaagent:${WILY_HOME}/Agent.jar -Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile=${WILY_HOME}/core/config/IntroscopeAgent.profile -Dcom.wily.introscope.agent.agentName=desired_agentName -Dintroscope.agent.hostName=desired_hostName"