Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Availability, standard calendar & Resource Availabilty (Threshold)

Posted Jun 02, 2016 09:15 AM

Hi all,

Our company works a 7 hour day but when we were set up in PPM, our shifts in the calendar were left at the system default  of 8.  Our two questions are:

• Is this the reason why if a resource has 20 days allocated to various activities, that their Resource Availability (Threshold) shows 17.5?  In answering this, I would appreciate it if someone could either explain how this is calculated or point me to some documentation where I can more fully understand this.
    • We have experimented on Test with updating the calendar to a 7 hour day but the allocations  are always affected.  We were told that the steps to complete this were to change all the resources' Availability to 8 and then to change the standard calendar to 7 hours which would then change the resource's Availability back to 7.  The problem is that this also recalculates the monthly amounts of the resources.  For instance, if the resource had been assigned 14 days to a project, after the changes, they are now showing as having 16 days assigned to the project.  Our current assumption is that we will need to make the changes and then re-enter all the assigned allocations to all resources.  Is there a way to make the changes without affecting the Allocations by period?  If there is not, is there a way to automatically upload the Allocations or do they need to be entered manually?

Thanks in advance,

Gail

• 2.  Re: Availability, standard calendar & Resource Availabilty (Threshold)

Posted Jun 28, 2016 08:01 AM

Well, no one replied so in case anyone else has this problem, the only way we could see to proceed was to 1) export all the allocations to Excel 2) Updated all the availability to 8 hours  3) changed the base calendar to 7 hours and most painfully, 4) manually entered all the allocations back into CA

• 3.  Re: Availability, standard calendar & Resource Availabilty (Threshold)

Posted Jun 28, 2016 08:45 AM

Sorry no-one could help (I was away else I might have spotted this )

Resource allocations / calendars can get pretty complicated as there are a number of factors involved (as you have been finding out!) and the sequence that we set data up in the system can have a big effect - so not sure anyone would have given you an easy answer then.