Symantec IGA

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

DB Query Search Screen

• 1.  DB Query Search Screen

Posted Jun 06, 2016 02:31 PM

Please provide guidance on How best to implement an Identity Manager search screen to search database table, instead of user attributes within ldap.

I'm sure this has come up before, but can't find anything on it.

Working to develop a solution to search service requests defined by a user by their unique_name, within the fwservices request table. This information is only in the database and not within the user defined attributes or Well Known attribute set of the user object class. 

Thanks,

Chris.

• 2.  Re: DB Query Search Screen

Posted Jun 07, 2016 01:33 PM

Perhaps this would be an enhancement and / or require manipulating OOTB JAR's within IAM EAR file?

• 3.  Re: DB Query Search Screen

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 08, 2016 12:59 AM

IM search screen doesn't provide option to write JavaScript or call Java class. It only provide space to write HTML.

You can always write custom JSP and have a custom search screen. 

• 4.  Re: DB Query Search Screen

Posted Jun 08, 2016 12:44 PM

Thanks, I did some more research on this, but can't find this technical document on this anywhere except here -Is this the procedure you're referring to?

I'm hearing rumors that this is possible via a PXP and screen logicals, but I think it cannot be done, please confirm.

• 5.  Re: DB Query Search Screen

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 08, 2016 01:16 PM

Yes this document shows how to configure custom JSP in the admin task. Now you can write whatever logic you want in the JSP. If you want to connect to external database you can configure it in your JSP and execute SQL queries. It depends what you want to do next after searching against external database.

• 6.  Re: DB Query Search Screen

Posted Jun 08, 2016 01:20 PM

I want to look up the unique_name within the fwservices_requests table (in the object store) and link to a Request Status Page linked to that unique request.

• 7.  Re: DB Query Search Screen

Posted Jun 08, 2016 01:24 PM

In IM Object store, fwservices_requests, Unique_name field will be the tracking number for each service request, which will be padded with zero's to make it 8 digits. After inputting the tracking number it should bring up the service request data from object store and present the status of the request on the screen.

• 8.  Re: DB Query Search Screen

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 08, 2016 01:26 PM

Yes you can search unique_name under fwservices_requests table from your custom JSP. I am not sure what "request status" page does. Can you please elaborate on this?

• 9.  Re: DB Query Search Screen

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 08, 2016 01:31 PM

Once you are able to search unique_name from fwservices_requests table then you can provide a hyperlink on custom JSP or put a redirection on custom JSP and pass this unique_name as dynamic parameter to "request status" page. Once IM loads "request status" page with unique_name passed from custom JSP, you should be able to see the status.

• 10.  Re: DB Query Search Screen

Posted Jun 08, 2016 01:48 PM

Service request status screen is the second screen shot in this post. I've already developed this PX Policy to dig it up and email it based on task session id, but now I want to extend it to use the human readable unique_name in the fwservices_request table. It's an easier tracking number to communicate over the phone etc. This interface will allow both the end user and support to quickly navigate to said service request status by the unique_name number padded with leading zero's to make it 8 digits.

• 11.  Re: DB Query Search Screen

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 08, 2016 02:25 PM

I think you can try custom JSP to search for unique_name from object store and pass it on to request status page. This might give you expected result.

• 12.  Re: DB Query Search Screen

Posted Jun 08, 2016 02:30 PM

Please confirm whether or not PX Policy solution (can or can't) perform db search and do the same UI redirect as the custom JSP you've proposed. 

I looked into it a bit, but here's what I've found there's no way to interact with the screen other than receiving data through lah and using action of display message. If we look up the data with sql statement based on the lah, all we can do is display the message : found record, but no way to redirect user to the view status page, unless we send them an email or possibly put a link on the screen that they click

• 13.  Re: DB Query Search Screen

Posted Jun 09, 2016 01:29 PM

I'm now reviewed a solution proposed using initialization and validation java scripts on screen logicals to do the lookup. Do you have any feedback on the two approaches for evaluating the pro's / con's of using either approach (Javascript or JSP). Essentially, rather than creating a custom jsp, we simply put the screen logical field to enter the unique_name in a simple profile screen and use validation javascript to do the lookup and return results to another screen lah, which was hidden before the submit with an initalization javascript.

• 14.  Re: DB Query Search Screen
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 09, 2016 01:36 PM

Yes of course you can connect to database using screen/attribute level JavaScript and it will require less development effort than custom JSP. Apparently its all Java coding. If you are able to do this using screen/attribute level JavaScript then it would be a better approach than custom JSP.