Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

• 1.  Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 20, 2020 07:43 PM
    If you are using Google Chrome, it's recommended to hold off on updating to the latest Google Chrome build released this week: 83.0.4103.61, as there is an issue with a pop up error 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server' appearing in multiple areas of the Classic PPM application.

This issue is not reproducible so far in the New User Experience (unless you are working in a Channel in the New UX that links back to Classic PPM)

A few examples where this is seen:

• Logging in to Classic PPM
    • Clicking Save and Return on a task in Classic PPM
    • Creating a new project and clicking Save in Classic PPM
    • Clicking add on the Task list in Classic PPM
    • Clicking Filter on a portlet/page list in Classic PPM
    This is under investigation with the Sustaining Engineering team as DE55191

If you have already upgraded and see the issue, below are a few workarounds:
    1. Click Close on the popup error window
    2. Use a different supported browser
    3. Use the New User Experience, if possible, as the issue hasn't been reproduced there aside from working in a Channel that links to a Classic PPM view

Link to KB: https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article?articleId=191277

Regards,
    Kristin Schroer

• 2.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 21, 2020 03:48 AM
    I tried a Classic instance ; got an error after I provided my credentials.
    However I noticed that if I navigated again to the login URL (in a new tab/window rather than refreshing the page) then I was logged in OK.  So perhaps a workaround?

• 3.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 21, 2020 05:17 AM
    Further testing seems to indicate that it is just the production of that popup error message that is the problem, whatever action you were taking when you get that popup (saving data, filtering on a portlet) actually does seem to take place (i.e. the saved data is saved, the portlet is filtered, the user is logged in (my observation above)).

• 4.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 21, 2020 05:46 AM
    The same applies to the latest (but also Chromium based) Microsoft Edge from the beta/insiders program.  I noticed it for a the last 2-3 weeks.
    Fortunately the classic / "official" (and Clarity-supported) version of Edge is still accessible on those machines, so that browser can still be used.

In addition to David's findings about the actions still taking place, mostly that is correct, although I have found sometimes that closing the popup box via the 'x' is better at preserving the current state, and sometimes clicking the 'OK / Close' button will instead act like a reversion taking you back to the unfiltered result.

Frankly though, the popup is so frequent and annoying it's usually best to remember you opened the link/etc. in the wrong browser and just switch to another, than having to constantly deal with it.

• 5.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 21, 2020 05:50 AM
    Good Edge:
    Microsoft Edge 44.17763.1.0
    Microsoft EdgeHTML 18.17763
    (c) 2018 Microsoft

Bad Edge:
    Version 83.0.478.37 (Official build) beta (64-bit)
    This browser is made possible by the Chromium open source project and other open source software.
    Microsoft Edge
    © 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

• 6.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 21, 2020 06:14 AM
    I seem to be getting best behaviour when I dismiss the popup (OK or X) and then refresh (F5) the screen.

Better behaviour by telling people to use a different browser of course :) !!
    But I've spent so long telling people to use Chrome, it all feels a bit dirty! :(

• 7.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

• 8.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 22, 2020 10:58 AM

Dear @Kristin Schroer,

may i know if Broadcom is already working on an Hotfix for that issue? ​

Can you share any insights about that issue here? Is it related to New Chrome security settings? Are you in contact with Chrome support? Will tehre be a Patch for Chrome Browser in the recent future?

Would like to know if it is more:

a) Please hold on for a couple of hours/days a Fix is on the way?

b) Stop using Clarity and Chrome from now on?

Any Information is highly appreciated.

Thank you
    David

• 9.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 22, 2020 11:07 AM
    We are already working on the fix and we will see how we can deliver on each version. I believe you should stay below 83 so you dont get this impacted

------------------------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Sr. Principal Support Engineer | Customer Success & Support, Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom

• 10.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 22, 2020 11:15 AM
    ^ Chrome will often auto-update though, so "staying below 83" is pretty impractical!

Any details about the "fix" would be interesting ; perhaps there is a chrome://flags/ that can be set/unset so the problem is not triggered?

• 11.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 22, 2020 11:27 AM
    Hi David 

Sure we understand and we started looking at clarity to see how we can fix this first. However will look into the chrome flags too

However chrome can still be controlled via administrator update

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Sr. Principal Support Engineer | Customer Success & Support, Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom

• 12.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 22, 2020 03:13 PM
    Hi!

Assuming this bug is a problem with Clarity and not with Chrome, do you know for which Clarity PPM versions the fix will be available?

Older versions could/will be patched as well? (15.2, 15.1, 14.4, 14.3, etc)?

• 13.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 26, 2020 09:15 AM
    Is there any update on this please?

• 14.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2020 09:21 AM
    Hi Sue

The fix is in progress and its a fix on clarity side, now we are working to see how we can deliver the fix. Can you confirm what version of clarity you are on?

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 15.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 26, 2020 09:27 AM
    We are 14.3

• 16.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2020 09:30 AM
    Hi Sue

Sorry to say, we are not longer patching or fixing anything on 14.3 and that version is end of life already

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 17.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 26, 2020 09:38 AM
    Hi Suman,

I had expected that would be the answer. 
    Is there anything we can do on our side to resolve the issue?

thanks
    Sue

• 18.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2020 09:54 AM
    Hi Sue,

Have tried out the workarounds suggested earlier?

1. Click Close or 'X' on the popup error window
    2. Use a different supported browser
    3. Use the New User Experience, if possible, as the issue hasn't been reproduced there aside from working in a Channel that links to a Classic PPM view

Link to KB: https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article?articleId=191277
    Regards

Vincent

• 19.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 26, 2020 11:46 AM
    I think what most people would want as a local solution would be a "change this line in this file on your server to this and the problem goes away"

Of course I realise that this 1) may not be possible and 2) would not be "supported", but we can hope! :)

• 20.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2020 11:53 AM
    Hi Dave

We have seen some additional issues too, we are actively working on the fix and we will see what best we can offer. Please allow us some time

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 21.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 26, 2020 12:12 PM
    Hi!

Those "additional issues" affects the user in different ways that the ones described in article 191277?

• 22.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 26, 2020 12:21 PM
    We working with a client that has an unsupported version too. As you, we are also expecting no support on that bug and we developed a quick fix for the problem. Is not beatifull but until now it is working on our tests. To do that, you have to modify at least one javascript file. It's not so easy because this file probably was generated automaticaly by a engine during Clarity development.

You must be very cautious doing that, because even a small change can have unexpected impacts in other functionalities. At least you will have to do an extensive test on the system after doing something like that.

• 23.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2020 12:56 PM
    its not just one java script but around 117+ files needs modification. it may have worked on certain user case but those java script files as you said gets generated based on browser

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 24.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 26, 2020 01:09 PM
    Will this fix apply to 15.5?

• 25.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2020 01:50 PM
    Hi Candice - Please go ahead and log a case, generally we patch only GA and GA -1 release

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 26.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 26, 2020 01:14 PM

For 15.5, can you confirm when this will be fixed? Or do we need to do anything internally to avoid getting this error?

Natalie Lozano

Project Portfolio Analyst 2

Office: 602.953.4526 • Mobile: 623.628.7098
    natalie.lozano@choicehotels.com

6811 E Mayo Boulevard

Phoenix, AZ 85054

ChoiceHotels.com

• 27.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2020 01:51 PM
    Hi Natalie- We fix only GA and GA -1, however please log a ticket with us and we can take it from there

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 28.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 27, 2020 01:57 AM
    Edited by Rico Fleischer May 27, 2020 01:58 AM
    Hello Suman, will there be a fix for 15.7.0? This version has not yet reached the end of its life, so we expect a fix for this version as well. Thanks.

--
    T-Systems Multimedia Solutions GmbH
    Demandmanagement
    Project Manager
    Rico Fleischer

E-Mail: rico.fleischer@t-systems.com
    Internet: http://www.t-systems-mms.com

• 29.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 27, 2020 04:40 AM
    Hi Rico

Please raise a support case and we will see the best possible way to help.

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 30.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 28, 2020 11:01 AM
    I've raised a ticket, but it was immediately closed. I was told it's a known defect, but this doesn't help us. I've been provided the workarounds, but not updating Chrome isn't an option for us.

• 31.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 28, 2020 11:03 AM
    Sorry for that, do you mind sharing the case number to me. We are actually working on the fix

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 32.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 28, 2020 10:13 AM
    I get this as well as of a month or so ago.We are on 15.5 and I am on an older version of Chrome.

Version 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Regards,

Neil Goodwin
    Clarity & Rally Product Owner
    Sabre

• 33.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 28, 2020 11:04 AM
    Hi Neil 

Did not see this on lower release, this error is pretty consistent with chrome 83

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 34.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 28, 2020 12:41 PM
    We've noticed that because this error is also impacting idea creation because of users filtering to find field values.  (i assume it would impact any object that entering fields using filters)

Here are a couple of scenarios:

Scenario 1:
    Navigating to Ideas > New
    Using binoculars open field selection window.
    Entering criteria into filter fields.
    Click filter.
    Receive error message, click X.
    (filter functions as expected).
    Click button next to chosen value.
    Click Add.
    (nothing happens)
    Click Return
    (nothing happens)
    Click X
    (screen is returned to started idea with selection)

Scenario 2:
    Navigate to Ideas > New
    Use binoculars open field selection window.
    Enter criteria into filter fields.
    Click filter.
    Receive error message, click X.
    (filter functions as expected).
    Enter additional filter criteria.
    Click filter
    Field selection window does not filter.
    Screen behind window reloads to fullscreen field selection with filter applied.

Click X on Filter Selection Window.
    Click button next to chosen value.
    Click Add.
    (nothing happens)
    No ability to return to started idea.
    Browser back button erases unsaved data.

We have submitted a help ticket, but wanted to make others aware of what some of our users have experience.  We're at version 15.6.1

• 35.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 28, 2020 04:11 PM
    Are you going to provide a patch for v15.4?

• 36.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 29, 2020 03:19 AM
    This looks liek a problem introduced by chrome and not clarity, have a look at the details below

Defect: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1084874

Fix Detailshttps://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/2211099

How to test our app:

You can download the raw Chromium https://download-chromium.appspot.com/

We will come back with additional details shortly 

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 37.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 29, 2020 03:54 AM
    "This looks like a problem introduced by chrome and not clarity, have a look at the details below"

That would be the best news! :) 

Thanks for the update - keep us posted  (I hope people of your side can read all that chat on the chromium site better than I can regarding this!!!)  

• 38.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 29, 2020 04:07 AM
    Hi David

Yes and we are testing with the new chrome build and so far looks much better. We will keep you posted. Even Microsoft has reported this to chrome too as Edge uses chromium engine too

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 39.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 29, 2020 08:12 AM
    Edited by Nick Darlington May 29, 2020 08:25 AM
    Edit: I should rephrase.. as it depends on pc refresh/update cycles.  Apparently since Jan the chromium edge is now the GA one, not just beta anymore.

Though to clarify, GA/production Edge isn't yet Chromium based, and is not affected.

The "New Edge" is Chromium based, and currently affected until fixed, if using the "stable" channel updates since May 21st or "beta" updates a while before that.

Ref: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-relnote-stable-channel#version-83047837-may-21

Users of the old/original Edge pre-January aren't affected.

I have the new Chromium-based Edge installed as a beta currently, and so can run the unaffected traditional one side by side with it.  So I use that for Clarity.

• 40.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted May 29, 2020 11:46 AM
    Edited by David Morton May 29, 2020 11:48 AM
    I tried the Dev build and Canary builds of Chrome - as of today 29/5 these were v84.0.4147.30 and v85.0.4159.0 respectively.

Problem still existed in Dev but Canary was OK.  :)

The discussion on that bug report https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1084874 I think says ( jarhar ) it might be a bugfix for v83 in a couple of weeks (I may be reading all that wrong though, I don't really follow Chrome release cycles much!).

85 isn't due until August so hope that's true (ref comment #19 and #24 on that link)​​

• 41.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 29, 2020 02:55 PM
    Hi All

We have updated our KB with additional information and workaround. Have a look at the link https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article?articleId=191277

Hope this helps to overcome this major defect introduced by browser

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 42.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted Jun 02, 2020 03:16 AM
    The Chromium bug report linked above now says;

"The fix has been merged to 83 and 84.
    The next rollout of 83 include the fix, look for version 83.0.4103.96 or newer."

I will take that as very good news!

• 43.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 03, 2020 05:58 AM
    Chrome has another build based on Defect 

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 44.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted Jun 03, 2020 07:11 AM
    ^ do you have any insight into when v83.0.4103.97 gets released "into the wild" - the vague comments on that bug report don't really indicate when it might appear.

• 45.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 03, 2020 02:37 PM
    Edited by Christopher Hackett Jun 12, 2020 02:57 PM
    OK - hot off the press - I have just been able to update my normal desktop Google Chrome version to 83.0.4103.97 and this appears to fix the issue. 

(just updated by going to Help -> About Google Chrome and letting it do its thing)

Happy days! 

• 46.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 03, 2020 02:38 PM
    Hi Dave

Sorry about late response on chrome release. We are testing it too with the new build. Stay tuned

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 47.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted Jun 04, 2020 08:37 AM
    Hello All,

Updated today : the check has been deprecated to warning.

[Deprecation] Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. For more help, check https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/

XMLHttpRequest Living Standard - Last Updated 4 June 2020

David

Consultant
    CoPrime

• 48.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 08, 2020 06:01 AM
    We have tested the issue on Chrome and latest version of Edge and all uses cases works perfectly fine. We tested since 15.4 to 15.8 

Chrome : 

Edge :

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 49.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted Jun 08, 2020 10:37 AM
    Hi Suman & support team,

Am I right that if we upgrade Chrome to version / release 83.0.4103.97, we are fine again?

Diederik

• 50.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 08, 2020 01:26 PM
    Yes thats right Diedderik

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 51.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Posted Jun 08, 2020 01:30 PM

Thanks Suman!

I ask the Windows guys when the next update is scheduled. Edge still works fine here so we have a workaround.

Diederik

• 52.  RE: Known Issue with Latest Chrome Release: 83.0.4103.61 - 'Unable to communicate to the PPM server'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 09, 2020 01:34 AM
    If Edge is still working, you might not be using the Edge version based in Chromium but the old Edge version, or your version is older or newer than the affected one. Microsoft Edge 83.0.478.45 has the fix for this issue.