Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

AWI performance

• 1.  AWI performance

Posted Jun 26, 2019 09:26 AM
    Hi everyone,

We are currently on 11.2 and planning to go for 12.3 in Q3-Q4 this year.

I haven't yet decided if I should install the AWI on its own servers or install it on the AE server. My AE servers have plenty of resources (CPU+MEM) to handle the load of a HIGH end System, and my question is:
    Does the performance of the AWI benefit from being installed on the AE Servers?

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has experience with this.

/Keld.

• 2.  RE: AWI performance

Posted Jun 26, 2019 12:42 PM
    Following...

I'm in the exact same boat.  Our preliminary decision has been to run the AWI on the same server to simplify DR, and add a bit more RAM to the server.  But Keld has brought up a valuable performance consideration.

• 3.  RE: AWI performance
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 26, 2019 01:47 PM
    I separated the AWI and engine hosts as per install recommendations.
    Haven't see any performance issues doing this.

• 4.  RE: AWI performance

Posted Nov 19, 2019 09:05 AM
    Hi @Tony Ferraro, where in the Documentation is it recommended to separate AWI and AE ?

Our AE servers are quite powerful (plenty of RAM, CPU, Disk) and by placing the AWI and AE on the same servers we hope to boost AWI performance due to reduced network traffic between AWI and AE.

/Keld.

• 5.  RE: AWI performance

Posted Nov 19, 2019 09:40 AM
    ​The sizing table in the installation guide has always somewhat implicitly specified separate servers for Engine and AWI (by specifying them in a different line and with distinctly different amounts of CPU cores and RAM from each other).

Hth,

• 6.  RE: AWI performance

Posted Jun 27, 2019 04:05 AM
    ​Hi Keld,

We had issues with AWI performance when AWI was installed on AE server. Then we decided to separate it and installed AWI on a different server and the AWI performance has improved tremendously since then.

------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Bhagya

• 7.  RE: AWI performance

Posted Nov 19, 2019 08:24 AM
    Hi Kamthane,

We are also checking the posibility of using the AE server as AWI but are concerned about the performance issues.

What kind of issues did you have and how was your  server sized?

Mihail

• 8.  RE: AWI performance

Posted Jun 28, 2019 12:22 PM
    When I did my upgrade I created a new vm that has Tomcat installed with the awi.war file in the webapps folder. Started Tomcat.
    Then I updated the webapps/awi/config/uc4config.xml with my engine ip & ports

This has been working well for me for a year.

Developer
    State of Colorado

• 9.  RE: AWI performance

Posted Nov 19, 2019 01:27 PM
    Edited by Pete Wirfs Nov 19, 2019 02:38 PM
    We have only been on V12.3.0 for a few months.  We are running the AE and AWI from the same windows server.  There have been a couple of instances on the DEV server that we have maxed the CPU, and this caused all AWI sessions to hang, sometimes for several minutes.   We have added more CPUs to this DEV server and it seems to be a lot better now.  And of course we made sure these servers have plenty of RAM headroom.

Should the AWI be on a different server?  The HCL consultant we worked with recommended doing so, but I don't think there is any definitive answer.  I see pros and cons for both ways.   We are such a small shop though, that having fewer servers to manage is important to us.

Pete

• 10.  RE: AWI performance

Posted Nov 20, 2019 05:29 AM
    My impression has always been that the sizing guidelines are somewhat spitballed and mostly the result of a reverse ​Scottyfication. That's Scotty from Star Trek.

"I think people should have 24 gigabytes to be safe for all scenarios"
    "Would 32G make that even more safe?"
    "Okay, then it's settled. Write down 48G."

To some extend that's understandable since everyone's requirements are different and their recommended setup is just a guideline. It's also my experience that Automic has always tried to avoid making any truly binding statements when it comes to a recommended server distribution. Consultants have to have an opinion, they're paid and it would be bad if they didn't.

So in summary I do think people should feel free to deviate from Automics guidelines when they understand what that means. You already outlined the pros and cons already, it mostly comes down to

pro:
    - fewer servers to maintain, patch, power
    - better utilization of existing ressources (RAM, $$$).

con:
    - one runaway application affects the other one (though the GUI can often times affect the entire installation badly anyway, e.g. by blocking out all the CP even with two servers)
    - downtimes of one component affect the other
    - (possibly) some day some Automic rep might use it as a reason not to follow through on an issue of support

But I see no inherent problems with bunching it up on one server. In fact, while we separate engine and AWI for "prod", we have put both components on the same server for "test" and "dev" also.

Br,

• 11.  RE: AWI performance

Posted Nov 21, 2019 08:15 AM
    For having all components on one laptop for testing I can tell you that separating the AWI from other components is to consider.

Sometimes I have to kill the Tomcat because it goes to grab the whole available CPU without any reproducible operation. Seems anyway that some functions like search, autoforecast, large Process Monitor views are using a lot of resources on the AWI services. Plus activation of some java processes in the background, not known to be kind on RAM and release of it, is not helping. And I'm the only user connected (ok, in 5 or 6 clients at the same time).

So for me it would be safer to split AWI from the rest of the components and for a production system with more than 10 users connected, have at least two Tomcat on two servers to be able to have an access even if one is in trouble.

But it is $$$ that will finally decide, not the technical reason or user ability to work normally.

Alain

• 12.  RE: AWI performance

Posted Jun 25, 2020 11:38 PM
    Edited by Kenneth Hutchins Jun 25, 2020 11:42 PM

How was working with HCL? I reached out to them about 12.3. I recently built a 12.3 test sever using the Automic One Installer. Broadcom support told me I couldn't use the Automic One Installer for my production server build, and to reach out to HCL.

I am waiting to hear back from them. I am a small configuration shop. 2 windows servers which run the AE/AWI, one sql server for the automic db I run one AS400 (which was a bear to install/had to update the header for it to run with the 12.3 LIB) and 20 windows agents. 

DevOps Engineer
    ULLICO