DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  EPAgent: Is there any "type" of metric to handle decimal numbers?

Posted Aug 31, 2018 12:59 PM

Hello
    I am collecting data with "EPAgent v10.7", and trying to graphic metrics with decimal values in APM, without success.
    Is this possible?

EPAagent calls my bash script, which reads system load average using linux commands, and echo the output in any of these XML formats:
    <metric type="LongCounter" name="prcm1.multicanal.net.ar|t2k1-CATV|CPU:Load Average 15min" value="0.53" />
    <metric type="LongCounter" name="prcm1.multicanal.net.ar|t2k1-CATV|CPU:Load Average 15min" value="0,58" />

When EPAgent reads these outputs it logs these error in "IntroscopeEPA.log":
    8/30/18 03:38:22 PM ART [ERROR] [EPAgent.EPAPluginProcessor] Metric value from plugin 'Plugin CATV_LOAD_AVG' is invalid: For input string: "0.53"
    8/30/18 03:48:21 PM ART [ERROR] [EPAgent.EPAPluginProcessor] Metric value from plugin 'Plugin CATV_LOAD_AVG' is invalid: For input string: "0,58"

Is there any "type" of metric to handle decimal numbers?

• 2.  Re: EPAgent: Is there any "type" of metric to handle decimal numbers?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 31, 2018 01:12 PM

If it's just to display the value, use 'StringEvent'.

If you need to graph it, then no. You must round the integer. Consider using 'sprintf' to automatically round up or down the value.

• 3.  Re: EPAgent: Is there any "type" of metric to handle decimal numbers?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 31, 2018 01:19 PM

No, there's not a data format for decimal numbers.  Load average is a percentage, so you can just multiply by 100 to graph 53% and 58% in your above examples.

• 4.  Re: EPAgent: Is there any "type" of metric to handle decimal numbers?

Posted Aug 31, 2018 01:46 PM

The decimal numbers shows percentages (0.53% for example).

I will round up or down the numbers to solve the problem.

My doubt was resolved.

Thanks to everybody.