DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  How to integrate CA APM with UIM using REST API

Posted Jan 24, 2018 08:34 AM

Hi ,

I know the snmptd method but i want to do it using REST API . Is there any document  regarding the same.

Thanks

Anmol

• 2.  Re: How to integrate CA APM with UIM using REST API
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 24, 2018 08:41 AM

There are no dedicates docs that I know of for doing this.

The rest api guides are below that provide you information on sending alarms via rest api.

Alarm Calls - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation 

hope this helps.

• 3.  Re: How to integrate CA APM with UIM using REST API

Posted Jan 30, 2018 07:12 PM

Hi Gene,

I was also looking for a solution similar for this question and wouldn't the best option be to use the "UIM Alert Action" on APM of as described below?

Define CA UIM Alert Action - CA Application Performance Management - 10.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Thanks

• 4.  Re: How to integrate CA APM with UIM using REST API

Posted Feb 12, 2018 06:52 AM

Hello Ariel and others,

As far as my testings went, i wouldn't recommend the "UIM Alert Action" feature as it doesn't work as advertised yet, i tried it 03 months ago with uim 8.5 and apm 10.5 without success. The alarm does go to UIM webservice, you can see it there but it doesn't show in UIM alarm screen (i could see it sometimes only on the uim thick client), alarm severity also wasn't ok and it doesn't redirect to the correct host. This is my experience with this integration.

My overrall experience integrating CA UIM and CA APM is restricted to SNMP integration so far, which every other product on the market can do it with some effort as the same occurs in UIM.

- caapm probe (graph data from apm to uim) - never left beta - awesome idea w/o requiring too much hardware to be implemented and it was really simple to use when worked. No support for UIM 8.5 and APM 10.5, stopped at UIM 8.4 and APM 10.2.

- apmgtw (graph data from uim to apm) - works at some degree - apm dashboards and reports are not that great but you can overcome with a designer. The problem doesn't really rely in that point though as i've tried to use it, probes with modified origins doesn't generate the item in apm console, the probe log shows it as a null host or value. So if you are monitoring a database remotely and modify the origin in CA UIM to show the alarms and graphs at the correct host, the integration won't understand that to parse it to CA APM as it should, thus you won't have your database locks graph for example in a single screen with CA APM metrics. This could've been so useful for the customer problem we had, but wasn't possible to demonstrate even though we found the problem using other means.

I believe the current integration level between CA UIM and CA APM is weak, but there is a lot of potential to be explored. If they all worked as intended it would give us tremendous advantage over the competition to defend the product or do cross-selling for customers who own one of the products, which happens with 50% of our customers.

• 5.  Re: How to integrate CA APM with UIM using REST API

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 12, 2018 09:15 AM

Hello,

I have also seen UIM-APM integration via logmon probe executing apmsql queries. Just adding another approach to bring data from APM into UIM in this case.

• 6.  Re: How to integrate CA APM with UIM using REST API

Posted Feb 12, 2018 02:38 PM

True Nestor, there is that one with logmon and queries from the UIM dashboard to apm also, which uses the same method (regarding sql), i forgot those! Thx for mentioning.

Customers usually don't want to get into these (as far as i've heard from ours), i know a few who did with some degree of success. For the dashboard one i know we had trouble with performance, though never seen the logmon one working. The integration probes could give insta value, 5 min setup at max, which is "piece of cake" compared to everything else.