Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

navzjoshi00

navzjoshi00Apr 16, 2015 06:35 AM

Stephen_Slaughter

Stephen_SlaughterJun 13, 2017 09:46 AM

• 1.  Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

Posted Apr 16, 2015 06:24 AM

Hello team

just in case you struggle with starting Jaspersoft as a Windows Service as I did for the past few days... Here are the exact steps to make it work:

Download from apache.org the following file:

apache-tomcat-7.0.61-windows-x64.zip

Unzipped it in the following folder:

D:\apps\apache-tomcat-7-jp

Run the following command:

tomcat7 //IS//JasperTomcat7 --DisplayName="Jaspersoft Tomcat 7" --Install="D:\apps\apache-tomcat-7-jp\bin\tomcat7.exe" --Jvm=auto --StartMode=jvm --StopMode=jvm --StartClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StartParams=start  --StopClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StopParams=stop --Classpath=D:\apps\apache-tomcat-7-jp\bin\bootstrap.jar;D:\apps\apache-tomcat-7-jp\bin\tomcat-juli.jar --Startup=auto

Open up Windows Services (services.msc):

Right click on Jaspersoft Tomcat 7 service and select Start.

that's it

Typical errors I have encountered when trying to start Jaspersoft as a Windows Service

after running the tomcat7 comand line I got no error messages but then in Windows Service when I tried to right click and Start the service I got a pop up error message...

in the System Event logs I found the following message:

The Jaspersoft Tomcat 7 service terminated with service-specific error The system cannot open the file..

Solution: --Classpath argument was MISSING in the command line to create the service (see above for the complete synthax with the classpath included...)

so you will need to first remove your wrongly created service (service remove JasperTomcat7)

then run the above command with classpath in it

maybe some conflicting ports could also be causing problems like 8080...

Solution: modify %tomcat-folder%\conf\server.xml to change the 8080 port to 8089 for example  and maybe also 8009 to 8099

then try to recreate (first remove it though with service remove JasperTomcat7 and then run the above command) you service and start it.

Hope it helps a few persons on this planet!

Olivier

• 2.  Re: Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

Posted Apr 16, 2015 06:35 AM

Thanks for sharing this, Olivier

NJ

• 3.  Re: Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

Posted Apr 16, 2015 07:25 AM

Hi Olivier,

there is an even more convenient way is to simply call the service.bat in the bin directory of the Tomcat shipped by CA.

• 4.  Re: Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

Posted Apr 16, 2015 07:40 AM

ahhh much simpler then!

after reading the following on Tuesday (the other tip) :

"3. Ensure you install a separate Tomcat instance from the Clarity one which you can download from Internet. The one that comes with Clarity is not having the scripts to run as service. You can still use a copy of it, but you will have to have command prompt open at all times you wish to run it."

( https://communities.ca.com/message/241783601#241783601)

I decided to download my own Tomcat and set it up.

• 5.  Re: Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

Posted Jul 24, 2015 11:14 AM

So we are just getting around to testing 14.2.  I have installed Jaspersoft but am trying to get it to run as Windows service.  I ran service.bat install but this just seems to create a service to control starting/stopping tomcat as I get a 404 error if I try to navigate to Jaspersoft. 

What do you have to do to have the service also control the startup.bat file?

• 6.  Re: Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

Posted Apr 17, 2015 06:02 PM

Thanks for sharing this with the community Olivier!

Olivier Carrier wrote:

Hello team

just in case you struggle with starting Jaspersoft as a Windows Service as I did for the past few days... Here are the exact steps to make it work:

Download from apache.org the following file:

apache-tomcat-7.0.61-windows-x64.zip

Unzipped it in the following folder:

D:\apps\apache-tomcat-7-jp

Run the following command:

tomcat7 //IS//JasperTomcat7 --DisplayName="Jaspersoft Tomcat 7" --Install="D:\apps\apache-tomcat-7-jp\bin\tomcat7.exe" --Jvm=auto --StartMode=jvm --StopMode=jvm --StartClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StartParams=start  --StopClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StopParams=stop --Classpath=D:\apps\apache-tomcat-7-jp\bin\bootstrap.jar;D:\apps\apache-tomcat-7-jp\bin\tomcat-juli.jar --Startup=auto

Open up Windows Services (services.msc):

Right click on Jaspersoft Tomcat 7 service and select Start.

that's it

Typical errors I have encountered when trying to start Jaspersoft as a Windows Service

after running the tomcat7 comand line I got no error messages but then in Windows Service when I tried to right click and Start the service I got a pop up error message...

in the System Event logs I found the following message:

The Jaspersoft Tomcat 7 service terminated with service-specific error The system cannot open the file..

Solution: --Classpath argument was MISSING in the command line to create the service (see above for the complete synthax with the classpath included...)

so you will need to first remove your wrongly created service (service remove JasperTomcat7)

then run the above command with classpath in it

maybe some conflicting ports could also be causing problems like 8080...

Solution: modify %tomcat-folder%\conf\server.xml to change the 8080 port to 8089 for example  and maybe also 8009 to 8099

then try to recreate (first remove it though with service remove JasperTomcat7 and then run the above command) you service and start it.

Hope it helps a few persons on this planet!

Olivier

• 7.  Re: Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

Posted May 22, 2015 09:45 AM

Hi,

I am struggeling to configure Tomcat to run as a windows service.

I have tried with both the tomcat version which was shipped from CA and with the recent version (7.0.62).

I am able to setup the service, but for some reason Tomcat is not able to get JasperSoft up and running.

I get this error in the tomcat log:

KeystoreManager.init was never called or there are errors instantiating an instance

According to a JasperSoft community this seems to be a bug in Java 7. 

“KeystoreManager.init“ Error after Starting a Newly Installed JasperReports Server 5.5 | Jaspersoft Community

As explained in the solution above, I tried adding the -Duser.home Java Option to the tomcat service, but I am still not able to get it running as a windows service.

Anyone else which have had the same issue?

Thanks for sharing!

Knut

• 8.  Re: Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

Posted May 22, 2015 11:16 AM

Hi Knut,

I am still struggling with Tomcat but i am able to start the tomcat but unable to start the Jaspersoft due to memory issue.

I was getting the same error but running the tomcat service as same user you installed helped me to pass this step.

Check the below thread . Georg explained the issue with Solution.

https://communities.ca.com/message/241794689#241794689

-Gurjeet

• 9.  Re: Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

Posted May 22, 2015 12:01 PM

Hi Gurjeet,

Thanks for the tip. I think it's related to the service account.

I had some issues with memory as well.

I created my service using the "service install" command.

Then I edited the tomcat service by using the tomcat7w //ES//Tomcat7 command.

A dialog window pops up.

Here I set initial memory to 1024 and max memory to 2048, plus I added a java option:

-XX:MaxPermSize=512m

After these changes I had no issues with memory.

Every thing seems to run fine now, but I can't see any data in any reports.  Not sure why yet.. :-)

Knut

• 10.  Re: Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

Posted May 22, 2015 12:02 PM

See this article for more details on how to add and edit tomcat as a service in windows:

Apache Tomcat 7 (7.0.62) - Windows service HOW-TO

• 11.  Re: Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

Posted May 26, 2015 07:12 AM

Hi Knut,

have you already configured the data warehouse entity and run the "Load Data Warehouse" job as described in the installation guide?

Regards

Georg

• 12.  Re: Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

Posted Jun 03, 2015 03:57 AM

Hi Georg,

Thanks.

Yes I have run the job.  I can see that the DWH tables has been populated with data if I look in the DB.

Seems to be something wrong with the data source.  If I add a custom data source, I can see data.  With the out of the box data sources (for both Clarity and the DWH), I don't get any data in the reports.

Probably somewhere I made a mistake during the installation.  Need to go through each step once more.

Knut

• 13.  Re: Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

Posted Jun 03, 2015 04:41 AM

Hi Knut,

have you run the job "Load Data Warehouse Access Rights"?

With which user from CA PPM you have tried to see the data? With the admin user, you should be able to see something. Other users might only see investments/resources for which they have access rights.

Have you tried already to check the data with an Ad hoc Report? Please start with a simple table on a domain, e.g. Project Management and add the project name to the table: You should see your projects.

Please be aware that even if some tables in the DWH might be populated, an inner join to an empty table results in have no results.

Another option would be to build your own domain and select some data from the DWH to check if maybe the standard bean datasources might be the problem.

Good luck

• 14.  Re: Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

Posted Jun 08, 2015 07:54 AM

After running the "Load Data Warehouse Access Rights" the bean data sources works.

I think we got confused when we could not acces any of the data as administrator or localy with jasper "superuser", but could acces it by custom data source and domains.

Thanks

- Sigurd and Knut

• 15.  Re: Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

Posted Jun 02, 2015 04:53 AM

Hi Knut,

Jaspersoft works after setting max memory to 2048.

Thanks

-Gurjeet

• 16.  Re: Thursday Tip:  Running Jaspersoft as Service on Windows Server 2008

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 13, 2017 09:46 AM

For the visual learners in this community: