Symantec Access Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

how to show a message just before 2 minutes of SiteMinder Idletime out

• 1.  how to show a message just before 2 minutes of SiteMinder Idletime out

Posted Sep 08, 2014 01:03 AM

how to show a message just before 2 minutes of SiteMinder Idletime out?

• 2.  Re: how to show a message just before 2 minutes of SiteMinder Idletime out
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 08, 2014 02:07 AM

Hi Venga,

On doing a quick research on this it seems that your use case is NOT achievable by Siteminder configuration.

See the details below :

"Due to the Client-Server design and the HTTP stateless protocol, this is not possible unless the client and the server make a persistent connection.

Then the server will be able to send the alert to the client.

As the browser will establish a non-persistent connection to the webserver, the browser(client) should handle this situation.

In that sense, customer can achieve this by adding a custom code at the web content to monitor HTTP_SM_TIMETOEXPIRE header variable and compare it with the

current time then display the message.

This should not be SiteMinder functionality as a server will not establish a connection back to the browser to send an alert.

If customer wants to achieve this functionality, there are many ways to do it. For example, customer can use asp or jsp to have a frame and add a code to

calculate the time difference between HTTP_SM_TIMETOEXPIRE and the current time. If the difference becomes 2 minutes (or whatever configured value), customer can popup a message box to alert that the session will timeout.

13/7/2016: Please note,  HTTP_SM_TIMETOEXPIRE stores only the Max Timeout Value. There is no other default header to store the IDLE time out value.

Hope the information helps.

Cheers,

Ujwol

• 3.  Re: how to show a message just before 2 minutes of SiteMinder Idletime out

Posted Sep 08, 2014 02:21 AM

Hi Ujwol,

Thanks for your fast reply and this will help for my implementation. And I have another query also in Federation.

Is there anyway to kill the session at IDP(thirdparty) when idletimeout happens at SP?.here SiteMinder is acting as SP.

• 4.  Re: how to show a message just before 2 minutes of SiteMinder Idletime out

Posted Sep 08, 2014 06:51 PM

Hi Venga,

No Worries.

For your new question related to Federation, can you please post a new thread ? We will want to address only one question per thread.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Ujwol

• 5.  Re: how to show a message just before 2 minutes of SiteMinder Idletime out

Posted Sep 09, 2014 02:41 AM

Sure Ujwol,

let me create a new thread.

• 6.  Re: how to show a message just before 2 minutes of SiteMinder Idletime out

Posted Dec 28, 2016 05:17 PM

In my case, I used asp to read the realm name and put a condition to calculate the idletimeout from load when the realm name matches.

For example, I have a realm named "idle60sec".

In my asp, I will look for the matching realm name and have the browser refresh at 61 seconds so that my browser would get challenged.

if GetAttribute("HTTP_SM_REALM") = "idle60sec" Then
       response.write "<META http-equiv=refresh content=61>"

In your case, you would display a popup to either continue or expire.

• 7.  Re: how to show a message just before 2 minutes of SiteMinder Idletime out

Posted Sep 08, 2017 03:23 AM

Sung...the above code would reside in the respective IDP or SP where we want the browser refreshment or session extension?

Regards,

Deb

• 8.  Re: how to show a message just before 2 minutes of SiteMinder Idletime out

Posted Sep 08, 2017 03:29 AM

It will reside on the website on which you don't want session to idle out...in your case (based on the other thread) it will be on the IDP side..

• 9.  Re: how to show a message just before 2 minutes of SiteMinder Idletime out

Posted Sep 08, 2017 03:34 AM

Thanks Ujwol...This might suffice my requirement and the page will reside on web server.

Or will it be inside redirectjsp folder of SPS?

Regards,

Deb

• 10.  Re: how to show a message just before 2 minutes of SiteMinder Idletime out

Posted Sep 08, 2017 03:41 AM

Please note, you will need to implement this across all IDP resources however...

• 11.  Re: how to show a message just before 2 minutes of SiteMinder Idletime out

Posted May 25, 2018 01:53 AM

FY for anyone stumbling upon this , I have impelemented this with Active Response.

Details here :

Tech Tip – How to automatically redirect user to login page after idletimeout