Symantec IGA

View Only
  • 1.  Changing user attributes in BLTH handleSetSubject()

Posted Apr 08, 2020 03:20 PM
    Edited by Stephan vanBeerschoten Apr 08, 2020 03:42 PM

I have a very particular problem. I have a task that, when invoked, performs in a LAH that is hidden on a task screen. 

It's not your usual LAH code. The LogicalAttribute is present on the task screen, but hidden since the value of it does not matter.
    The toLogical() LAH method pulls data from IM and submits it to an external system. That's it. It's just used as a trigger.

On the resulting Task screen, after handleSetSubject() completes, is nothing but a html section and message that indicates that the data submission either worked or failed. If it failed we throw an exception in the LAH which is shown to the user.

Because there is nothing on the resulting Task screen that needs to be shown or filled in, there is no Submit button - just a close button.

And because there is no actual task submission, the handleSubmission() BLTH is never triggered - so user attributes cannot be manipulated and no emails are sent.

---

I tried manipulating a user object in handleSetSubject() but it doesn't seem to allow it. There is no error, but no changes to the user happen when I try blthContext.getUser().setAttribute() on the selected user object.

Is there any way in this submission-less task, to modify user objects in code or to trigger emails to be sent?
    I need a creative solution. 

• 2.  RE: Changing user attributes in BLTH handleSetSubject()

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 09, 2020 10:42 AM
    You can try creating a modify task that makes a submission with no actual changes.
    In the profile screen config of Modify User check the box "Always generate event even when no attributes are changed."

------------------------------
    Perhaps there are others in the communities who have experience in doing this and we invite them to comment here also.

Another option may be to reach out to our partner HCL Technologies to see in what way they can assist further. The Enterprise Studio team of HCL can be reached at enterprisestudio@hcl.com. https://www.hcltech.com/enterprise-studio
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Changing user attributes in BLTH handleSetSubject()
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 09, 2020 02:27 PM
    Hey Stephan,

I was reading over your situation and it seems pretty interesting.  I had a few thoughts, but a couple questions came to mind in regards to what it is you are looking to achieve and how you have your task configured.  So here goes...
    1. What is the Primary Object value of the task (i.e. User, Provisioning Role, etc.)?  I assume it is User, but want to make sure
    2. What is the Action value of this task (i.e. Create, Modify, View, etc)?
    3. What action are you actually looking to perform?  You had mentioned two distinct actions, Attribute Update and Send Email, curious if you are looking for one of these or both?
    4. Is having a submit button an option?