Test Data Manager

View Only
  • 1.  HASHLOV throwing null values

Posted Feb 21, 2020 11:41 AM
    Hi all,

I am masking a flat file using HASHLOV function and it is throwing null values in some rows. Is there a way to avoid those null values ?

I have unchecked keep nulls. 

I am masking address fields - street name and city . Thank you in advance

• 2.  RE: HASHLOV throwing null values
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 24, 2020 05:21 AM
    Hi Jaspal.

If you are using a regular HASHLOV and youo have an unchecked keep nulls value I can only imagine that your hash value is empty in the file (hash column) or there are null values in your seedlist.
    If you are using a HASHLOV1 then there is no value  corresponding with the given restrict value. To resolve this you can insert default values in your seedlist (rd_ref_value ='default'). 

Best regards,
    Klaas-Jan Lute

• 3.  RE: HASHLOV throwing null values

Posted Feb 24, 2020 09:58 AM

Thank you for your reply, Klaas-Jan.

Good to know something new regarding HASHLOV1.

I suppose you are referring to add a new column in the seed list with the name : rd_ref_value ='default'. 

I am assuming usage of : rd_ref_value ='default' column will be when I will have no value corresponding to the hash value (hash column)

For example, if I am masking street name using address seed list(hashed on street number). How will I make use of : rd_ref_value ='default'  (when no value exist in the hash column)?

Thanks,

Jaspal Singh

CA TDM Consultant
    Information Technology Cluster, WSIB 

Please let me know if you need this message in an alternative format or accommodation to access this email or its attachments.

Si vous avez besoin de ce message dans un autre format ou d'adaptations pour accéder à ce courriel ou à ses pièces jointes, veuillez m'en informer.

• 4.  RE: HASHLOV throwing null values

Posted Feb 25, 2020 01:08 AM
    Hi Jaspal,

The default value is returned for the HASHLOV1 when the 'restrict value' is empty. If you want to mask an address using a nearby address you can use the postal code (or a part) as restriction value. The replacement value will then be within the same range. If there is no identical postal code in the seedlist the default is used. I don't know what happens if your hash column is empty. That could be the cause of your problem.

Best regards,
    Klaas-Jan

• 5.  RE: HASHLOV throwing null values

Posted Feb 25, 2020 02:49 PM
    Jaspal,

If you want to use HASHLOV1, the value you are restricting on has to be the first column in your seedlist.
    Typically, the best values to use are province or postal code.

Also, when you are masking you should set keep nulls to 'N' for all fields except the hashcolumn and the restrict value. This will ensure consistency across the address.

------------------------------
    Test Data Management Architect
    Canada Life
    Toronto, ON

• 6.  RE: HASHLOV throwing null values

Posted Feb 25, 2020 02:58 PM

Thanks, Navin .

Thanks,

Jaspal Singh

CA TDM Consultant
    Information Technology Cluster, WSIB 

Please let me know if you need this message in an alternative format or accommodation to access this email or its attachments.

Si vous avez besoin de ce message dans un autre format ou d'adaptations pour accéder à ce courriel ou à ses pièces jointes, veuillez m'en informer.

• 7.  RE: HASHLOV throwing null values

Posted Feb 25, 2020 10:32 AM
    Jaspal, you should check if the IDs in your seedlist is missing any values.
    An easy way to do this is to see if the max value = row count

TDM Architect
    Canada Life