Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrade from 14.2 to 14.4

Posted Jan 10, 2018 08:33 AM

Hello,

I want to upgrade my current version of ca clarity PPM which is 14.2 to 14.4. 

As a dry run, i have installed the 14.4 version on the same server on which i was running 14.2, but on the different folder. I was under the impression that the database would also be upgraded along. 

Now i have the upgrade the database from 14.2 to 14.4 version, how can i do this. 

kindly suggest,

Samad Abdul Aleem

• 2.  Re: Upgrade from 14.2 to 14.4

Posted Jan 11, 2018 03:23 PM

Hi Samad:

First of all, upgrading a CA PPM instance can very tricky if you skip recommendations of the main upgrade documents: Release Notes (CA PPM 14.4 Release Notes (On-Premise) - CA PPM - 14.4 - CA Technologies Documentation) and Change Impact & UpgradeChange Impact and Upgrade (On-Premise) - CA PPM - 14.4 - CA Technologies Documentation ). I assume you have an On Premise instance.

Did you backup your database before the upgrade? Did you perform the 14.4 installation in a non-productive environment? This is strongly recommended in order to identify and assess possible impacts of the upgrade.

What is your architecture? I can tell you some experiences on Windows and MS SQL Server.

When you installed the 14.4 version the command line should have asked you for the existing CA PPM instance (in this case, 14.2) and to decide whether you wanted to preserve the current folder or use a new one. This decision only affects the location of CA PPM in the application server's file system, but does not affects the database. In one of the first steps of the installation process, it performs a Health Check to validate the CSA (formerly NSA) parameters. If the database was not found or has a incorrect version, it will stop right there.

This validation is very important because it assumes that the base components of the architecture are already upgraded if necessary (specially the Operating System and the Database Engine versions). During the upgrade, the CA PPM executable will not change your SQL engine version (for example: from SQL Server 2007 to SQL Server 2010), but it will drop tables, create tables, add columns, Stored Procedures and any other database change that the new CA PPM 14.4 release requires.

Also, be careful when installing a second instance in the same server. The install executable should be able to detect the current CA PPM instance in order to perform the upgrade. If not, it will just add a completely different CA PPM instance (which is totally discouraged) without any relationship with the first one, and will not touch the original CA PPM database.

Regards

Juan

• 3.  Re: Upgrade from 14.2 to 14.4

Posted Jan 14, 2018 09:41 AM

Thank you Juan for your response, 

yes we have on premise instance

The mistake i did was that, i installed the application on a new folder and thus it installed the application successfully without upgrading the server. 

Today when i tried to upgrade it correctly, i got the following error;

1) The database version could not be validated as a member of the supported versions. Current database info: Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (SP4) (KB4018073) - 11.0.7001.0 (X64) Aug 15 2017 10:23:29 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.3 <X64> (Build 9600: ) (Hypervisor) . Check the checkinstall.log for connection errors. Refer to the Product Architecture Stack (PAS) for supported database versions.

Now i am struck here. Any idea how do i continue. Your help will be appreciated. 

Regards,

Aleem

• 4.  Re: Upgrade from 14.2 to 14.4

Posted Jan 23, 2018 12:17 PM

Hi AEC-CA,

I have noticed that your DB version is SQL Server 2012 (SP4)  (which is a supported version per the documentation).

You can continue with the upgrade by performing the below steps as a workaround:-

1.Open the file ${upgrade_directory}\checkinstall\scripts\check-db-version.xml

2. On Line 16 correct the value from: 

value="11.0.5*ENTERPRISE EDITION*||12.*ENTERPRISE EDITION*||11.0.5*DEVELOPER EDITION*||12.*DEVELOPER EDITION*"/> 

to: 

value="11.0.6*ENTERPRISE EDITION*||11.0.5*ENTERPRISE EDITION*||12.*ENTERPRISE EDITION*||11.0.6*DEVELOPER EDITION*||11.0.5*DEVELOPER EDITION*||12.*DEVELOPER EDITION*"/>

3. Save the file, close all the command prompts and re-run the upgrade  

I suggest you to please take backup of both database and application folder and first try this on pre-prod.

Let me know if it works for you.

Kind Regards

/Shubham

• 5.  Re: Upgrade from 14.2 to 14.4

Posted Jan 24, 2018 06:34 AM

See

Ca PPM Upgrade 

for other experience

• 6.  Re: Upgrade from 14.2 to 14.4
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 25, 2018 02:33 AM

Thanks Shubham, I have already upgraded my version to 14.4 Successfully two weeks back on my test environment.