Rally Software

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Using Rally on mobile devices

• 1.  Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted Dec 03, 2019 11:23 PM
    So I can't seem to find any discussion or conversation since 2014 regarding the ability to use Rally on a mobile device.  I know I'm not the only one using the software (insert tongue in cheek eye roll here).... How are users supposed to be able to access rally screens from a mobile device? 

Even if no one is working on a mobile app, a user should still be able to access Rally via a browser but that has been problematic for years.  Lets take the Iteration Status page as an example. Any attempt to navigate around the page causes huge framing issues, and ultimately the page footer takes over and declares triumph over who owns the page.  I don't need to attach a screenshot as anyone who attempts this know exactly what I'm referring to.  And the browser doesn't seem to matter, it happens on Chrome, Safari, Firefox... It doesn't help to look at a lot of whiteness...although it could be calming except it's preventing me from getting the data I need in a timely fashion, so I end up being aggravated as well as uninformed.

Doesn't anyone from the test team try out their pages on mobile?  I know we do....

------------------------------
    Kim A

• 2.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted Dec 04, 2019 04:31 PM
    It would probably be helpful to define "mobile." iPhone? Pixel 3? 

I would suggest a full screen tablet i.e. iPad Pro, iPad Air (2048x2048), Microsoft Surface, or similar with a physical keyboard (bluetooth or docked).

SM, Agile Coach, Application Support
    Cigna

• 3.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 04, 2019 04:57 PM
    I have successfully demo'ed most of the functionality of the UI on a mobile device. As David Spalding says, a high resolution display, like a pad or tablet is the best way to go.

However, the bit that doesn't work too well, is the drag'n'drop functionality. The events that get propogated to the Javascript in the UI are different for touch based devices and sometimes are not be handled in the right way.

It seems complete madness that my Samsung tablet, which has higher resolution than many PCs still gets reported by the browser as a 'mobile device' and really screws up how 'mobile aware' websites serve up data - even when I am working on WiFi with 60mbits/s bandwidth.

What I really, really, REALLY want is a consistent experience between my Mac and my Samsung pad where Chrome recognises that it doesn't have to behave like a 480x288 pixel device on a  8core CPU, high speed connection and 2560x1600 screen.

So really, it isn't clear as to whether this is an application problem or a browser problem to me.

Rant over. Sorry!  :-)

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 4.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 04, 2019 05:16 PM
    Hey Kim, 

Thanks for the post!  

We do not currently have plans for a mobile app in our roadmap. Instead, we've made the decision to focus our resources on the web experience rather than mobile, as customer feedback has mostly been that users are mainly working from their desks. So, the web/desktop use case has been far more applicable to a majority of our users.

That said, the mobile use case is certainly a relevant one, especially in 2019! While some of our pages still aren't great (as you mentioned) on mobile, several of the newer pages and the pages we are updating soon in the new UI coming this month work far better in a mobile browser. For instance, loading Work Views is a much-improved experience in the mobile browser - the page is responsive and doesn't seem to have issues with the footer or nav-bar in the new UI. 

Here's some screenshots from my phone of a test workspace with the new UI - please disregard how unclean my PIs are!

John Streeter
    Customer Support Lead | ITSM & Rally Software

• 5.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted Jun 01, 2021 05:04 PM
    So here I am again 1.5 yrs later still hoping for some resolution on this. Just to clarify the original request, I'm asking about the ability to successfully view Rally in a mobile or tablet browser, not a mobile app.

Though I've heard from one other team member that they can view successfully on an iPad using Safari, I am still having issues with Chrome and Firefox on Android devices. As you can see by this iteration status page, the top menu is overlaying the top of the screen so I can't change the iteration I'm in. I can't drag the bottom view down either.  This is a brand new Samsung tablet. This is using Edge browser, but Chrome behaves the same.

I have the same issue on other screens with the inability to access the top part of the screen. It's problematic enough that I can't even close the QDP because I can't access the X on the right panel. Ignore the Full page view message - tapping that does nothing.  This is using Edge browser, but Chrome behaves the same.

I guess that the comment above from John Streeter about most customer feedback has been that users are mainly working from their desks, well that's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If most can't use it on Android mobile or tablet (more than 1/2 the market) then of course they will say they are using it on a desktop.  

• 6.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted Jun 05, 2021 01:05 PM
    Tried switching to the new Personalized Navigation? I find that "top-bar" nav UI to be old and clunky. ;) 

SM, Application Support
    Cigna

• 7.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted Jun 08, 2021 09:56 AM
    Maybe they are betting that mobile is just a fad and it's not worth adopting it in Rally.  I'm sure in a year or two we'll be back to using large tower-based computers again.

• 8.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted Jun 22, 2021 04:03 PM
    I'm  slow, took me awhile but I see what you did there, lol.

• 9.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted Jun 09, 2021 02:12 AM
    Tried that but it didn't affect anything from a mobile/tablet perspective. Did you?

• 10.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted Jun 10, 2021 01:57 PM
    Meaning, did you have any success with trying that on a mobile or tablet?

• 11.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted Jul 07, 2021 09:00 PM
    yeah I like being able to do quick touches using mobile, but the top part of views is always truncated when using Safari on my iPhone 11. I remember at one point rally worked a little better on mobile but not so much any more. here to hoping!

• 12.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted Aug 18, 2022 07:03 PM
    Holy smokes, yet ANOTHER year has gone by and Rally is still ignoring their mobile and tablet customers. I am not asking about an app, but simply about the ability to view Rally effectively in a mobile browser. I am shocked at this glaring lack of support.

FWIW, to anyone else that is following this thread, the only mobile browser that I've been able to get it to somewhat function on is Firefox.  Which is ironic since I've been told previously by Rally personnel that Chrome provides the best experience.  Come on guys, it's not like this is a new product!

• 13.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted Aug 18, 2022 09:26 PM
    Totally agree with you. I don't make a habit of viewing Rally on a mobile browser, but sometimes when I am offsite or on PTO, I need to look at something or handle something for my team while using my mobile phone. Just a giant UX gap here.   I also use Firefox on my mobile.  Also FWIW, I almost exclusively use Firefox with Rally on my laptop. I have not seen any issues with the site using that browser.  I prefer it, as it is not the resource hog that Chrome is.
    For the cost that this tool is per seat, I'm surprised that they really seem to operate a small team that is also slow at functional improvements.  To some degree, performance of the tool has declined over the last year or two. For example, filtering on tags is almost unusable now.

• 14.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted Aug 22, 2022 11:38 AM
    On safari, select the "hide toolbar" option in the 'aA' menu of the url bar. It makes a big difference and the rally ui is fairly useable on mobile for simple interactions like reviewing content, changing state or adding comments, navigating to other areas, etc.

Tyler
    This email and any attachments are only for use by the intended recipient(s) and may contain legally privileged, confidential, proprietary or otherwise private information. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, dissemination, distribution or other disclosure of the contents of this e-mail or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Neither this information block, the typed name of the sender, nor anything else in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

• 15.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 19, 2022 01:58 AM
    Edited by Rusty Lloyd Aug 19, 2022 10:02 AM
    Hello Kim!

Thanks for the message and the feedback. I am sorry that you feel ignored with respect to mobile functionality.

Unfortunately, we do not receive a lot of requests for a mobile version of Rally. We have worked on mobile prototypes in the past, and the cost of making a truly mobile app is cost prohibitive when compared to customer demand. Because of this, the priority for working on functionality like this is much lower than implementing other product initiatives. 

Rally can be used on iOS tablets. I am able to use Rally on my iPad Pro 10" with Safari by making sure I minimize the top toolbar, and Firefox as well (I do not have any Android tablets, so I cannot verify any capabilities here).

I would encourage everyone who wishes to use Rally on mobile devices in any capacity to submit feedback via the product megaphone. I can also be reached at rusty.lloyd@broadcom.com if you would like to communicate directly.

In addition, we are continually working on adding new functionality as well as improving overall performance. I would encourage you and others to attend our weekly office hours (https://enterprise-software.broadcom.com/rally-office-hours) to learn about new features and ways to use Rally, as well as opening a support ticket if you are finding issues that are hindering your usage of Rally.

Thank you for reaching out, and again - I am sorry for your frustration. 

Rusty Lloyd
    Rally Product team

• 16.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted Aug 22, 2022 11:13 AM
    I know this topic gets confusing and I've tried my best to clarify that I'm not speaking in regards to a mobile app, just the ability to utilize Rally on mobile browser. Unfortunately I don't have an iPad, I have an Android tablet. I was able to have it work much better on my iPhone using Safari by turning off the toolbar as mentioned by the previous poster. Through trial and error I have found that lately Firefox works better than Chrome. But that said, I don't believe your team should have the assumption that everybody is able to carry around a laptop or have a mobile workstation in order to conduct meetings that utilize Rally. It seems like there ought to be more effort in making sure that your platform works sufficiently well enough on mobile browsers.

• 17.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted Aug 11, 2022 05:34 PM
    2022 no progress. No need for a mobile app, but what does a mobile friendly view take to create in 2022?

• 18.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted Aug 11, 2022 05:50 PM

On safari, select "hide toolbar". makes mobile view much nicer. may be equivalent on other browsers

• 19.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted Aug 19, 2022 08:04 PM
    That def helped for my iPhone, but still struggling with my Android tablet, which would be my preferred option due to size.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• 20.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted May 11, 2023 05:18 PM

Here's another user who's waiting for iPhone Rally support for years. What about not waiting for getting "requests" and instead checking logs? I bet there are many tries and users drop of after loading first/second page. Maybe because it's not usable? Welcome Rally to a mobile-first world 

• 21.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted 16 hours ago

Hello Team,

1/4: It's surprising how there's been a lack of discussion about using Rally on mobile devices since 2014. Given its widespread usage, accessing Rally screens from a smartphone or tablet seems like a crucial feature. How are users expected to effectively manage tasks without mobile compatibility?

Thanks for responding!

• 22.  RE: Using Rally on mobile devices

Posted 15 hours ago
    What device are you using? Rally is reasonably user friendly on safari on iOS, especially for light touches you’d want to make while mobile. For the complexity of rally the main user context is certainly desktop where developers and engineers and working from so I don’t think any additional mobile user interface improvements warrants much investment.

Another reminder that you need to hit that “hide toolbar" button in mobile browsers to expose the full rally user interface.

Tyler
    This email and any attachments are only for use by the intended recipient(s) and may contain legally privileged, confidential, proprietary or otherwise private information. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, dissemination, distribution or other disclosure of the contents of this e-mail or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Neither this information block, the typed name of the sender, nor anything else in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.