Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

GEL Email Not Doing Line Breaks

• 1.  GEL Email Not Doing Line Breaks

Posted Feb 24, 2012 12:56 PM
    In v13, when creating a gel script that sends email, it is not putting the line breaks that I have set.
    I have seen a previous thread in this community where a poster said that gel should pick up the line breaks, but it is clearly not.

Is there anything different in v13 vs v12 that I need to set in order have a nicely formatted email message from gel?

• 2.  RE: GEL Email Not Doing Line Breaks

Posted Feb 24, 2012 01:55 PM
    Not aware that anything has changed in V13 for that, but haven't experimented with it yet...

In earlier versions I am using a string to throw a return in an email (where I am building up the email contents via data). Perhaps give that a try?

The string is;

Example in this thread https://communities.ca.com/web/ca-clarity-global-user-community/message-board/-/message_boards/view_message/16929487

• 3.  RE: GEL Email Not Doing Line Breaks

Posted Feb 27, 2012 10:57 AM
    Hi Rob,
    yes unfortunatelly this is something new that was introduced in V13 and line breaks are not respected in Email
    I have already opened a ticket with CA on this topic, and maybe you should as well. this will help get this issue resolved.
    I ended up using SQL Servers SMTP to send emails out via a stored proc that i call from GEL.

• 4.  RE: [Clarity XOG/GEL/WSDL] RE: GEL Email Not Doing Line Breaks

Posted Feb 27, 2012 11:00 AM
    Yes, I am doing the same.

From: CA Clarity Global User Community [mailto:CommunityAdmin@communities-mail.ca.com]
    Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 10:57 AM
    To: mb.10040449.97591948@myca-email.ca.com
    Subject: [Clarity XOG/GEL/WSDL] RE: GEL Email Not Doing Line Breaks

Hi Rob,
    yes unfortunatelly this is something new that was introduced in V13 and line breaks are not respected in Email
    I have already opened a ticket with CA on this topic, and maybe you should as well. this will help get this issue resolved.
    I ended up using SQL Servers SMTP to send emails out via a stored proc that i call from GEL.
    Posted by:fpena
    --
    CA Communities Message Boards
    mb.10040449.97591948@myca-email.ca.com
    http://communities.ca.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call 1.888.FC DIRECT (1.888.323.4732) or visit us on the web at firstcitizens.com today to take advantage of our great products and services.

This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that if you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

First Citizens Bank - Helping our customers achieve a lifetime of success. Visit us on the web at firstcitizens.com - Member FDIC

==============================================================================

• 5.  RE: [Clarity XOG/GEL/WSDL] RE: GEL Email Not Doing Line Breaks
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 28, 2012 05:18 AM
    Hi all,

The emails in v13 are composed as HTML now, and as such, HTML is notorious for converting and consolidating whitespace down into an individual 'space' between each word token. Earlier versions could only send emails as plain text.

To terminate a line, use the HTML element <br> (for line BReak) in your compositions.

This format does offer more capabilities (branding, descriptive URL links, emphasis/headlines/lists and other styling), so it should be a good thing.

-Nick

• 6.  RE: [Clarity XOG/GEL/WSDL] RE: GEL Email Not Doing Line Breaks

Posted May 23, 2012 09:34 AM
    First off, sorry to bump an old thread.

I was able to use HTML in my email by wrapping it in the
    <![CDATA[ line 1 <br /> line 2 <br />  ]]>
    code.

The question I have now is how can I email the contents of a xog? We have a number of processes that build and perform a xog on the fly, and for validation I have it emailing the input that the GEL script built. However since XOG is not really proper html, my email is simply blank. I'd like to be able to see the input and results of xog via email since the UI screen only shows so much.

(v13 sp 1)

• 7.  RE: [Clarity XOG/GEL/WSDL] RE: GEL Email Not Doing Line Breaks

Posted May 23, 2012 09:56 AM
    Possibly use <gel:serialize> to save the XML to disk, then use the attach="..." attribute of the <email:email> tag (of the jelly:email library) to include the information as an attachment rather than inlined to the email.

For processes likely to execute in parallel you would want to ensure no conflict/clash with the filenames - perhaps do as the sql trace filename convention does, and make a .xml filename out of the username and first part of the sessionId variable for the login you were using to avoid such conflicts.

Jelly's support of XML pipelining from one tag to another might even be capable of doing this without an interim physical disk save/file, but I'm not so great at making that work I'm afraid.

• 8.  RE: GEL Email Not Doing Line Breaks

Posted Oct 18, 2012 04:50 PM
    Federick

Were you able to resolve this issue with CA Support?

Rajnish

• 9.  RE: GEL Email Not Doing Line Breaks

Posted Oct 19, 2012 04:21 AM
    As per the other replies above, plain text line breaks are ignored by HTML, and the format of the email has changed in v13 from plain text to HTML.

So if you want line breaks now you have to provide them in a HTML format, like with the <BR> tag.

You can either use it wrapped in a <![CDATA[ ... ]]> block or provide it without those blocks if you first escape the less-than sign like this: &lt;BR>

The HTML rendering of email clients will then see that an explicit line break is required rather than just a general whitespace (space) character.

• 10.  RE: GEL Email Not Doing Line Breaks

Posted Apr 24, 2013 03:30 PM
    This post is a bit dated, but I don't see the specific answer out there. To Chris' point, what if you want to paste the contents of a XOG into an email? Prior to v13, we used this to give to our test team. Now, all XML files are showing up unformatted and unusable.

Here is my example:

<gel:parse var="dataload">
    XML Statement
    </gel:parse>

<gel:set asString="true" select="$dataload" var="Vdataload"/>
    <gel:log>
    <gel:expr select="$dataload"/>
    </gel:log>

<gel:email blah blah>
    ${Vdataload}
    </gel:email>

Prior to v13, that worked. Now it returns all the values with no XML markup.

I have even tried:

<gel:email blah blah>
    <![CDATA[
    ${Vdataload}

]]>
    </gel:email>

to no avail.

Any new insight on how to get a XOG file into an email without saving to disk and attaching?

Thanks.

• 11.  RE: GEL Email Not Doing Line Breaks

Posted Apr 26, 2013 06:56 PM
    Answers/replies posted to the new thread:

• 12.  RE: GEL Email Not Doing Line Breaks

Posted Apr 27, 2013 03:55 AM
    There is an error in the link and it does not work.
    http://https//communities.ca.com/web/ca-clarity-global-user-community/message-board/-/message_boards/view_message/16929487

The link text is OK.

Apparently nobody has tried to click the link before.

Martti K.