Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  What is the best way to modify a process with initiated instances?

Posted Apr 11, 2017 05:14 AM

If you have a process with normal actions and initiated instances  you cannot set that in draft mode,

What is the easiest way to modify that?

Can you do that with XOG or do you have to delete the thousands of instances in a system that is not housekept?

Are there other options?

• 2.  Re: What is the best way to modify a process with initiated instances?

Posted Apr 11, 2017 05:16 AM

Hi

Good practices is "do not modify a process with running instances". So, you need to set the current on "on hold" and create a copy using "save as".

You modify the new version and then validate and activate.

Cheers,

Aurora

• 3.  Re: What is the best way to modify a process with initiated instances?

Posted Apr 11, 2017 05:33 AM

Thanks Aurora_Gaimon 

You are saying don't do it, create new.

Is it possible?

I can understand that it is not good to modify process that have instances running, but are you saying it is not good to modify process that have instances initeated?

There is no problem to modify a gel script in a process when the process has initiated instances.

• 4.  Re: What is the best way to modify a process with initiated instances?

Posted Apr 11, 2017 05:38 AM

Well J there is always a risk, depending on what your GEL does, it could stop working if it's not modified properly . or a step may be missing something that GEL was supposed to do it.

My strongly advice is:

• You can technically modify the "GEL" code and re-validate it, process will "technically" work if you modify it properly and it does not affect process integrity. BUT.
    • You should not do it .. since every time you modify a process, a new version should be created and add some comments/annotations in order to document what's been changed.

It's a matter of keeping changes documented and easy way to rollback if new version of the process does not work, you can put it on-hold and re-activate the old one.

If you ask for a good practice, I will tell you, create a new one.

If you are looking for a technical trick, then, yes it's technically possible... but not recommended.

• 5.  Re: What is the best way to modify a process with initiated instances?

Posted Apr 11, 2017 12:48 PM

If you create a new version then still good housekeeping requires that the old one and the initiated instances are removed.

I do agree that you should document your configuration and have install files. However, I'd rather have my past configuration documented outside CA PPM for ease and security and not use CA PPM as version management tool for the same system.

Are you saying that there is a trick? Would you like to share it.

• 6.  Re: What is the best way to modify a process with initiated instances?

Posted Aug 23, 2017 02:06 AM

Hi urmas,

In case you really want to modify that process only without creating a new copy of that, then either you have to wait till all the initiated instances of that process is completed, or you have to cancel all of them. 
    Then you have to delete all those completed/cancelled instances so that you can again modify the Process definition. 

But however, a lot of risk is involved in this approach as you have to be very sure that you are not cancelling any processes that needs to be completed or something like that. If you are sure of that then I guess it is fine. Hope this helps. 

Thanks,

Abhisek Dhar

• 7.  Re: What is the best way to modify a process with initiated instances?

Posted Aug 23, 2017 03:55 AM

My conclusion was that modifying the existing process through deleting the instances is most feasible when you are testing the process and there are no production instances. If there are a new version is better and safer.