Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  Portal Sync API high CPU

Posted Oct 15, 2019 02:54 AM

Hi,

Does anyone have any information about a bug/known-issue with the "Portal Sync API" Scheduled Task which causes it to sync ALL items and causes high CPU usage? (4.2 portal)

Regards

Vince

signature_1576556778

Vince Baker

Principal Architect

T:
    M:

E:

W:

+49 6162 8004 5167
    +49 172 130 7863

Vince.baker@apiida.com

www.apiida.com

signature_1300983738signature_1311365783 signature_547105082   
    signature_1942562 

email_signatur_NORDIC_APIS_Business_Lounge-01

APIIDA AG │ Marktstrasse 47-49 │ 64401 Gross-Bieberau │ Germany

Company Headquarters: Gross-Bieberau, Darmstadt District Court HRB 96368, Sales tax ID number DE282210791

Executive Board: Stefan Schaffner (Chairman), Sebastian Rohr, Markus Mueller

Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Gunter Kuechler

• 2.  RE: Portal Sync API high CPU

Posted Oct 15, 2019 05:26 AM

OK, so partly answering my own question here.

https://ca-broadcomcsm.wolkenservicedesk.com/wolken/esd/knowledgebase_search?articleId=137191

However, I'd like to know if anyone here has had the same issue.

Regards

Vince

------------------------------
    Senior Architect
    Apiida AG
    Https://www.apiida.com

• 3.  RE: Portal Sync API high CPU

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 16, 2019 01:51 AM
    Hi Vince.  This was definitely a performance issue in earlier releases when synchronization did all portal entities and not incremental changes.  That logic was changed so that it was more performant so it does not surprise me that it would cause a performance issue if syncing everything.  

Thank you for bringing this to my attention because it might be an issue another customer is facing after an upgrade that has remained unexplained up until this point. I will look into the defect mentioned to get an more detail and an update on fix for 4.4. 

Regards, Alex.

• 4.  RE: Portal Sync API high CPU
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 16, 2019 02:04 AM

Hi... I think that this particular case is really bad because the customer has some extremely large policies (one is 14MB)!!. They are also numerous. I do not believe that an initial sync has completed to be honest. I am going to force the SSPC to wait 30 minutes before killing and restarting the gateway in the hope it will finish and then afterwards successfully perform the deltas.

Anyway.. I will carry on with the investigations today.

Regards

Vince

Senior Architect
    Apiida AG

• 5.  RE: Portal Sync API high CPU

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 16, 2019 02:10 AM
    It may be that you need to increase the time between syncs if you have not already done that.  This is done on the gateway scheduled tasks and I believe there can be conflicts if one sync is not completed before the next sync is executed.  

Regards, Alex.

• 6.  RE: Portal Sync API high CPU

Posted Oct 16, 2019 02:29 AM

Hi, Thanks for the feedback...

I enabled the scheduled task, let it start and then disabled the next one via Restman (as I couldn't login via PM), so it's not the frequency. It's just the first sync which brings the node to its knees. More resource was thrown at it, but made little difference.

Regards

Vince

Senior Architect
    Apiida AG