Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Days Late Calculation for Tasks

Posted Apr 25, 2017 06:05 AM

Hi All,

I am confused with the calculation of days late in Clarity project tasks. When I checked in Project Schedule OOB report query the days late is calculated by comparing the Task and Baseline start dates, not finished dates. Can anyone please let me know is that the correct calculation or do we need to consider Finish dates for calculating days late?

Thanks,

Justine

• 2.  Re: Days Late Calculation for Tasks

Posted Apr 25, 2017 07:16 AM

Hi,

Here's the description of Days_Late field from the DWH_INV_TASK table:

"

WBS record days late. The number of days the task is late given its progress and whether a baseline exists. For each WBS record, the average days late is calculated. If a baseline exists, then days late = task finish date - baseline finish date. A positive number indicates that the task is late according to the baseline. A negative number indicates that it is early according to the baseline. If a baseline exists and the finish date is the same as the baseline finish date, then the task is considered late if it is not completed and it was due before today. In this case, days late = today - task finish date. When no baseline exists, then days late is calculated if the task is not completed and it was due before today. In this case, days late = today - task finish date.

"

So, it actually depends on whether a Baseline is present on the Task or not.

• 3.  Re: Days Late Calculation for Tasks

Posted Apr 25, 2017 07:44 AM

Thanks for your reply. when I checked the query of OOB report Project Schedule, the SQL function [DWH_START_DAYS_LATE_FCT] is used to calculate the Days late. And Baseline Start date and Task Start date passing to this function. Do you know why the start date is taking here instead of finish date?

• 4.  Re: Days Late Calculation for Tasks

Posted Apr 25, 2017 08:48 AM

Looked through that function. The Days_Late in the DWH_INV_TASK and the Days Late being calculated by this function seem to be two different metrics. The function seems to be calculating the days that a task is late to start. Whereas the column in the DWH_INV_TASK table is documented to be calculating the days that a task is late to finish.

I haven't done a test to determine if that is indeed how it is..

Also, the documentation on that function is as below:

/* ****************************************************************************************************************************
    * If there is a Baseline and Start Date is not equal to Baseline Start Date, then Start Date - Baseline Start Date *
    * (This calculates days late positive or negative based on baseline). *
    * If there is a Baseline and Start Date equals Baseline Start Date and Project Progress (or Task Status) is 'Not Started' *
    * and the Start Date is before Today's Date, then Today's Date - Start Date (This calculates days late positive if the *
    * project/task isn't late according to the baseline, but it's 'Not Started' and it is has a start date before today's date). *
    * If there is no Baseline and Project Progress (or Task Status) is 'Not Started' and the Start Date is before Today's Date, *
    * then Today's Date - Start Date (This calculates days late positive if there is not any baseline and the project/task isn't *
    * started and it is has a start date before today's date). *
    ******************************************************************************************************************************/

• 5.  Re: Days Late Calculation for Tasks

Posted Apr 25, 2017 09:37 AM

Yeah, I saw the Days_Late column in DWH_INV_TASK table. It looks like even if there is days_late for sub tasks still the days_late of key task is showing zero in that table. While calculating the days late of a key task, should we consider the days late of sub tasks coming under that key task ?

• 6.  Re: Days Late Calculation for Tasks

Posted Apr 26, 2017 05:08 AM

Should we consider the days late of sub tasks also while calculating the days late of a key task? I am seeing in the Project Schedule report that the days late calculation of key task is not depending that of the sub tasks.