Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Supported versions removed from downloads.automic.com

• 1.  Supported versions removed from downloads.automic.com

Posted Feb 09, 2021 10:52 AM
    Today I wanted to install a specific version (12.3.2) of the Automic Web Interface, but was getting an error when trying to start up the app using files I downloaded months ago. I went to downloads.automic.com to get a known-good copy of the awi.war file. No luck. Sometime in the past few weeks, 12.3.2 was removed from the list of versions available for download.

Please, Broadcom, do not remove recent versions just because more recent ones are available! We are still running an engine on 12.3.2, and we cannot upgrade it yet. We need to be able to download any component version that is still supported.

And before you ask, no we cannot use a newer version of the AWI, because you guys recently introduced a feature that breaks interoperability between different fix levels of the same minor version.

• 2.  RE: Supported versions removed from downloads.automic.com

Posted Feb 15, 2021 05:06 AM
    Hi,

I totaly support that. I can't imagine it would hurt to have those versions on the download server.

Matthias
    ​​

• 3.  RE: Supported versions removed from downloads.automic.com

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 16, 2021 05:20 AM
    Hi @Michael A. Lowry, all supported versions are available upon request from Support. We do not host all supported versions on downloads. I have shared with you the war file you require, please check your email share invitation.

Greetings,
    Tatjana

------------------------------
    Product Manager - Automation
    CA Technologies, A Broadcom Company

• 4.  RE: Supported versions removed from downloads.automic.com

Posted Feb 16, 2021 05:59 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Nov 04, 2021 03:00 PM

Broadcom is proposing that whenever a customer needs files older than a few months, the customer must open a new case with Broadcom Support and request the specific files. Presumably if the customer does not already have a list of available components and versions, he must additionally request this list before indicating which specific files he needs.

This is not a viable solution.

1. Opening a support ticket requires additional manual effort on our part, and adds unnecessary delay.
    2. Opening a support ticket adds unnecessary overhead for Broadcom Support, who already struggle to provide timely updates to cases.
    3. Our corporate web filters specifically block the file sharing sites that Broadcom uses to share files on a one-off basis. Getting an exception approved and implemented takes time, further delaying acquisition of the needed files.
    When we need to download a software component during a critical situation, a delay of even a few minutes can be very costly.

The Broadcom downloads site should host all currently-supported versions of the software.

I understand that Broadcom would like to streamline the download process for the typical customer, who may be interested only in the most recent version(s). Hiding most component versions and making customers ask for them specifically is the wrong solution to this challenge. A better solution is to add a checkbox, Show older versions. By default this box would be disabled. Customers who need to see older versions can do so, but most customers will see only what they need to see.

• 5.  RE: Supported versions removed from downloads.automic.com

Broadcom Partner
    Posted Feb 17, 2021 01:12 AM
    May I add the little side remark that most of the customers have no direct access to Broadcom support and are obliged to put such requests at their support providing Broadcom partner.
    That's probably a rather suboptimal approach for any party but Broadcom itself.

Consultant
    System Partners GmbH

• 6.  RE: Supported versions removed from downloads.automic.com

Posted Mar 26, 2021 07:33 AM
    Any news on this topic? Does Broadcom plan to restore old versions to the downloads site?

Ping @Pascal Osthus-Bugat, @David Ainsworth
    ​​

• 7.  RE: Supported versions removed from downloads.automic.com

Posted Oct 28, 2021 03:20 AM
    Any update on this topic?

• 8.  RE: Supported versions removed from downloads.automic.com

Posted Oct 28, 2021 03:26 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Nov 04, 2021 03:01 PM
    The Release Notes feature is crippled because with the removal of old versions from the database, it's no longer possible to see which fixes were included in older releases.

• 9.  RE: Supported versions removed from downloads.automic.com

Posted Nov 04, 2021 03:00 PM
    Broadcom has made a couple of changes to the Release Notes tool.
    • It's now possible to select any version from the currently installed version pop-up menu.
    • The release date is displayed for each release.
    So now it's at least possible to list the fixes included in old releases.

• 10.  RE: Supported versions removed from downloads.automic.com

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2021 12:50 PM
    Hi @Michael A. Lowry
    We are looking into this.
    We understand the requirement and the requirement does adhere to our software maintenance policy.

We will work with our team on a solution.

Cheers

David
    Head of Product Management | Automation | Broadcom Software

• 11.  RE: Supported versions removed from downloads.automic.com

Posted Nov 29, 2021 05:06 AM

It happen again! With no Information to the Customer V12.3.6 Hotfixes where removed from Dowloadportal. We allready have open Incident's for V12.3.6 HF3. We spent time to work with our support Partner to create Tickets. We Collect Information's Logs etc. We are working for round about a month to help detecting the root cause of the problem. Now the target version we planed to migrate ist no longer supported.
    I'm with Michael this procedure make no sense. In our Company we bind resources to provide our client's a reliable Workload Automation Plattform. The Broadcom support try to help customers to make this happen. We all spend so many time, an such an simple Information does not find the way to the customer.
    I think the Information Strategy has to be improved to save money an ressources for Broadcom an the users of the automic automation platform. 

1. An Information to the Customer why a release is no longer supported ist mandatory. The administrators must have all information to decide, what are the next steps to do. The easiest way was a website where i can inform.

2. The downloadportal is mostly visited by administrators. They know what they want/need to work. A simple filter for official supported or not supported versions should made it.

As Michael say's these Versions are in production. The production have to be online 24 hours a day, every downtime must be planed weeks or month in advance. We can not update on every change. As Administrators we must decide how the problems could effect the current production process and is it necessary to update, is it an emergency update or can we schedule it with the next regular maintenance window.

• 12.  RE: Supported versions removed from downloads.automic.com

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 06, 2021 05:19 AM

The particular hotfix V12.3.6 HF3 was removed for a good reason: it contained a regression that would potentially impact many other customers. This is why it was taken offline. However, by no means does this imply it is no longer supported. 

In case a particular hotfix is required, you can open a support ticket which would normally be processed the same day.

I do feel we should improve on how we communicate when taking a hotfix offline. Your suggestions are welcome.

Kaj Wierda
    Sr. Product Line Manager | Automation

Broadcom Software