AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Two unwanted attributes automatically added to all jobs since upgrade

• 1.  Two unwanted attributes automatically added to all jobs since upgrade

Posted Jul 17, 2019 10:14 AM
    ​Hi
    We recently upgraded to CA WA AE 11.3.6, since then I have noticed all existing and new jobs have a couple of extra attributes added 

alarm_if_fail: 1
    alarm_if_terminated: 1

In my company we have never used alarms and don't plan to, so my questions are

how are these attributes being automatically added?
    are there setting somewhere as in a configuration file that I can change to stop this happening 

------------------------------
    Your help is much appreciated
    LeRoy

• 2.  RE: Two unwanted attributes automatically added to all jobs since upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 18, 2019 09:56 AM
    Hi LeRoy,

The alarm_if_fail has been there since the early days of AutoSys and the default has always been to set it to 1.  The alarm_if_terminated is new with 11.3.6 SP7 and was introduced from an ideation to separate a job fail from a job that is terminated, as many clients do not want to open a ticket for a job that was manually terminated or was terminated due to a max term time being hit as it was deliberate.  
    If you were not getting the alarm_if_fail in you earlier environment, I would suspect that you have a jil validation exit or some other method of setting it to zero when jobs are inserted.  

Regards,
    Mike

• 3.  RE: Two unwanted attributes automatically added to all jobs since upgrade

Posted Jul 18, 2019 10:22 AM
    Thank  you for your response Michael
    we have been manually changing alarm_if_fail: 1  to alarm_if_fail: 0 but we only so that when we have to make other changes to a job. Now I guess we will have to do the same for  alarm_if_terminated.

Is there isn't an option to turn them off then so be it.
    But IMHO it seems backward thinking by the system designer/developers. The default of these attributes should be "turned off" until such time a particular user want to make use of them and take steps to turn then on.   We could have option in the configuration file to turn them "on" or "off" globally and use them on individual jobs as we see fit,

Your reply is very much appreciated

LeRoy  

Your help is very much appreciated
    LeRoy

• 4.  RE: Two unwanted attributes automatically added to all jobs since upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 19, 2019 08:40 AM
    Hello LeRoy,

You do not have to manually set alarm_if_terminated attribute to 0 If alarm_if_fail attribute is set to 0 in your existing job. In this case, we are automatically setting alarm_if_terminated attribute is 0 after upgrade. 

Regards
    Nitin Pandey

• 5.  RE: Two unwanted attributes automatically added to all jobs since upgrade

Posted Jul 19, 2019 09:07 AM
    why don't you want all your jobs to alarm?
    and just the opposite it's backwards thinking to hide a failure which turning the alarm off does. 
    i am unsure of your current firm , but I would question how and who set up autosys there .. 
    just my 3 cents. 

Steve C.

• 6.  RE: Two unwanted attributes automatically added to all jobs since upgrade

Posted Jul 19, 2019 11:46 AM
    Well each shop uses it in the way best suited to their particular needs.
    long ago I was decided that all jobs would be UNIX script or windows executables and each job would create a log file and email said log file to the production team. when AutoSys 4.5 came along we continued using the same UNIX scripts and windows exes so alarms were never something we relied upon, we know when a jobs have an issue.

LeRoy

• 7.  RE: Two unwanted attributes automatically added to all jobs since upgrade

Posted Jul 19, 2019 09:40 AM
    Hi Nitin
    Our existing jobs did not have the alarm_if_terminated  before we upgraded. The upgrade added that attribute to all the jobs, we are now having to set them to alarm_if_terminated: 0

LeRoy

• 8.  RE: Two unwanted attributes automatically added to all jobs since upgrade

Posted Jul 19, 2019 10:18 AM

LeRoy,

If you read the upgrade documentation it would have told you what it would do. you didn't test the upgrade first?!

Sounds like you need to set up a sandbox proving ground environment. Very dangerous finding out in prod.

Steve C.

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.

• 9.  RE: Two unwanted attributes automatically added to all jobs since upgrade

Posted Jul 19, 2019 11:48 AM
    You are correct, I did not read it, but then I didn't do the upgrade​ either!
    yes we did upgrade our test environment first

LeRoy

• 10.  RE: Two unwanted attributes automatically added to all jobs since upgrade
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 19, 2019 10:32 AM
    Hello LeRoy,

You do not have to set  alarm_if_terminated value to 0 as AutoSys will take care of it automatically if alarm_if_fail attribute is set to 0 in your existing jobs. I understand that your existing jobs do not alarm_if_terminated as we released this feature in r11.3.6 SP7. 

In case, you need further clarification, please feel free to send me an email on nitin.pandey@broadcom.com. I will work with you on this.    

Regards
    Nitin Pandey