CA Client Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Sofware inventory - Oracle features enabled

Posted Nov 21, 2016 03:39 PM

Hello,

We will have an audit from Oracle. Probably they will run a script to discover all Oracle Databases installed. Until this point it is OK, because I can list all Oracle Database installed using and run reports from DSM Explorer or DSM Report.

But my main problem is not this. Oracle licenses are counted according features enables in databases. Eg, tunning or partitioning features enabled.

Does anyone here have an idea or have information how can we do that inventory using Client Automation?

Could you please send something that I can import to DSM Report ( or DSM Explorer) and have features from Oracle Database listed?

Best Regards,

Nelson

• 2.  Re: Sofware inventory - Oracle features enabled
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 22, 2016 06:52 AM

Hi,

Oracle Options and features is something that is enabled and disabled in the database, typically all options and Features are installed so you can not use software inventory and signatures for this.. It will give you much more than what you actually use. 

You essentially need to run  a couple of Queries against the Database, which also is what Oracle will do to get the enabled features. the script that you should look for is referered to as LMS scripts or ORASCAN. But basically this is where you need to look :

SELECT * FROM V$VERSION

SELECT * FROM V$OPTION

SELECT * FROM DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS;

SELECT * FROM V$LICENSE (Optional)

Then for collecting it via Client Automation you need to Converter the Output to MIF files that can be collected and reported into the Domain server for reporting.

There is a big advantage to do it from Client Auto as the agent typically runs as root/LocalSystem and that is normally enough privileges to run the above scripts. You could use a command like this:

SQLPLUS.EXE -S -L / As SYSDBA @"Script.sql" > "LogFile.log"

If you engage with Ca Services, they have a package to do this for CA Software Asset Managemenet.

I hope it helps a little

/Kim

• 3.  Re: Sofware inventory - Oracle features enabled

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 23, 2016 11:18 AM
      |   view attached

I found this very old script for Oracle inventory. You may be able to modify it to do what you want.

Attachment(s)

zip
    Oracle_Unix.dms.zip   7 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Re: Sofware inventory - Oracle features enabled

Posted Nov 13, 2019 07:57 AM
    I am trying to do something similar to this but i don't know where to put my mif file so that the agent collects it.
    I know in Windows i have to put it in "<DSM>\Agent\units\00000001\uam" but in Linux i dont have that folder, and creating it doesn't solve the problem.
    Do you know how can i achieve this in Linux?

• 5.  RE: Re: Sofware inventory - Oracle features enabled

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 13, 2019 08:21 AM

Try putting the MIF file in "/opt/CA/DSM/Agent/AM/data/transfer/"

Rgds,

Steve.

• 6.  RE: Re: Sofware inventory - Oracle features enabled

Posted Nov 15, 2019 07:26 AM
    It worked.
    Thanks!

• 7.  Re: Sofware inventory - Oracle features enabled

Posted Nov 24, 2016 08:46 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

we had exact the same problem for our license management. so i have included a oracle supoort sql script in a asset job (type script). i have attached the dms script and a screenshot, how the information are shown in the dsm explorer.

Please note:

• script is currently only for linux
    • script only tested on suse sles
    • it create temporary files under "/temp"; filenames beginns wiht "datascan*"
    • it can detect mulit instances of oracle databases (see screenshot)
    • the detected features can you see in the script

Regards

Bernhard

Attachment(s)

zip
    Oracle.zip   44 KB 1 version