Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Export of data for metrics

Posted May 27, 2020 06:30 AM
    Hi guys,
    Our Data Analytics team needs to generate metrics to provide indicators, KPI's and dashboards.
    For that, they'd like me to export all the job reports.

What would be in your opinion a good way to do this?

------------------------------
    Best regards,
    Thierry

Banque de Luxembourg

• 2.  RE: Export of data for metrics

Posted May 27, 2020 07:43 AM
    Hi.

What do​ you mean, "all the job reports"? Like, all reports for all jobs? Only current ones or from now on until the end of time? I don't know, but that might be a respectable amount of data.

Either way, your best bet is SQL. I wouldn't bother with anything else tbh. RT table I think, job details from OH. Regular reports are stored line by line and need to be pieced together, e.g. by grouping it for runID or processing it with additional code downstream.

Hth,

• 3.  RE: Export of data for metrics

Posted May 27, 2020 07:47 AM
    Also: did you look into the Analytics product​?

We're not using it, but I was under the impression that indicators and KPIs is what it eventually spits out.

Just a thought.

• 4.  RE: Export of data for metrics

Posted May 27, 2020 08:16 AM
    Hi Carsten,
    Thanks for your feedback.

It was my thought also that exporting every single log would be way too much data. I'll try to redirect them to less data and maybe just export statistics, which makes much more sense. Could even use DB Reporting tool for that.

Analytics is of course a good idea but we are still using 11.2 for "reasons" :) .

Best regards,
    Thierry

Banque de Luxembourg

• 5.  RE: Export of data for metrics
    Best Answer

Posted May 28, 2020 02:58 AM
    Edited by Christopher Hackett Jun 04, 2020 03:31 PM
    Hi guy, ;-)
    do they really want the reports or have they simply seen values like start and stop time? Or similar stuff? The reports are definitely the wrong things to export.

For reporting purposes you should extract the relevant(!!) data and store it in another database. That's what Analytics is doing to reduece the workload on the main database. If you don't have this you will need to export the data by yourself. A couple of database jobs will do the trick.

The problem is to determine what is the set of relevant information. One approach could be to let them define the metrics they like to have and then to identify the DB table(s) that contain the data. The first thing is surely to build up some understanding of the data model behind Automic. Otherwise OH, EH and AH might confuse you. :-)

Regards
    Juergen

Juergen Lechner
    Senior Consultant
    setis GmbH
    Germany