Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  oidc flow secret key

Posted Oct 01, 2020 12:53 PM
    Edited by Sharath Yeramalla Oct 01, 2020 02:09 PM
    Hi There,
    When I use OIDC(openID) flow from angular/react for authentication on top of oAuth, initially I use response_type=code to get a code, during this first call it returns a code. Subsequently, in this call I use this returned code to get an access_token.During this 2nd call will send the secret_key along with the code obtained from the first call from the front channel, since angular doesn't have any backchannel to perform this. The question I intend to ask was that, as may you know this both calls will perform from the frontend(Angular). how would I mitigate this risk of exposing the secret_key which is visible from the browser agent, is there any mechanism to protect/hide secret_key visible to the browser agent? Pls advice.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: oidc flow secret key

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 01, 2020 03:18 PM
    Hello

this is what the OIDC Authorization Code + PKCE flow was design to address with public clients to avoid the need to have the shared secret exposed.

The OTK supports this flow :
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-api-management/api-management-oauth-toolkit/4-4/customizing-the-oauth-toolkit/configure-pkce-support.html

• 3.  RE: oidc flow secret key

Posted Oct 01, 2020 04:07 PM
    Is this PKCE feature present in OTK 4.0 CR01.242?