Release Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Selecting java version while installing CA-RA Agent

• 1.  Selecting java version while installing CA-RA Agent

Posted Aug 14, 2019 05:37 AM
    Hi,

My sever has a default java version installed as java 1.5. When i try to install CA-RA agent 6.6 on this Solaris server, I get a message that it could not launch java. The installer could not even unpack contents of the installation binary.

There is a restriction that i could not change the default java that is being used. I have java 1.8 installed on the server. Is there a way, I could instruct the CA-RA agent installed which java to use? Can i pass some argument to the installer asking it to use java 1.8 and not the default java version available on the server?

Waiting for your reply.

Best regards,
    Amit Joshi

• 2.  RE: Selecting java version while installing CA-RA Agent

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 14, 2019 06:05 AM
    Hi Amit,
     I haven't got able to try myself but I can make some suggestions.

1: change the default java to 1.8 (however, it may impact other application dependent on lower versions)
    2: create a user with adequate access required for installation of Agent and in his profile configure the JAVA_HOME. Try to run the agent installer via this user and it should be picking the java configured in JAVA_HOME

Let me know if above help!

------------------------------
    Regards,
    Saurabh

• 3.  RE: Selecting java version while installing CA-RA Agent

Posted Aug 14, 2019 06:13 AM
    Edited by amit joshi Aug 14, 2019 06:14 AM
    Hi Saurabh,

Thanks for this suggestion. As stated earlier, I could not change the default java version installed, therefore, the only option that is left with me now is to try creating new user and use it for installation.

Just to let you know, I also tried this 
    export INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME=<LOCATION_OF_JAVA6>/jre

But the installation is still failing.

The exact error message looks like this. Please check if you get any other hints at the root cause of the problem.

"
    # ./nolio_agent_solaris-x64_6_6_0_b9640.sh

Unpacking JRE ...

Starting Installer ...

./nolio_agent_solaris-x64_6_6_0_b9640.sh: /opt/home/vdsfaae/ADS/nolio_agent_solaris-x64_6_6_0_b9640.sh.7488.dir/jre/bin/java: cannot execute
    "

Best regards,
    Amit Joshi

• 4.  RE: Selecting java version while installing CA-RA Agent

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 14, 2019 06:40 AM
    Hi Amit,
     Please refer to the document I find in my search to point to alternate JRE while installing agent.

https://ca-broadcomcsm.wolkenservicedesk.com/wolken/esd/knowledgebase_search?articleId=4628

In summary it is something like below, the variable name is INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME_OVERRIDE and not INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME

Bash:

export INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME_OVERRIDE=/path/to/desired/jre -- followed by executing the installer ( ./nolio_agent_6_2_0_b3010.sh )

ksh:

setenv INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME_OVERRIDE=/path/to/desire/jre -- then execute the installer ( ./nolio_agent_6_2_0_b3010.sh )

Regards,
    Saurabh

• 5.  RE: Selecting java version while installing CA-RA Agent

Posted Aug 14, 2019 06:53 AM
    I still get the same error message. Now, I would also like to recheck if i am using the correct installation media. Could you please share link for the CA-RA agent for Solaris 64 bit platform to download the installation media?

Best regards,
    Amit Joshi

• 6.  RE: Selecting java version while installing CA-RA Agent

Posted Aug 14, 2019 06:55 AM
    Also, please note, I am not able to access https://ca-broadcomcsm.wolkenservicedesk.com/wolken/esd/knowledgebase_search?articleId=4628
    It says some privileges missing.

• 7.  RE: Selecting java version while installing CA-RA Agent

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 14, 2019 11:24 AM
    Hi Amit,
     As per the documents the installers name is different than what you mentioned. 
    Solaris 9 x86 and SPARC Use the dedicated agent installation file.

For x86:
    nolio_agent_solaris-x86-jre6_b<build>.sh

For SPARC 64-bit:
    nolio_agent_solaris-sparc-32-jre6_b<build>.sh

Solaris 10 Update 9, 11, and SPARC Supports 64-bit. nolio_agent_solaris-sparc-32_<version>_b<build>.sh
    Can you please check for the installer once again on download center.

Also for the error please try to validate the shell you are using and check if the variable is actually getting set.

For accessing the Knowledge base, as you are having some permission issue, I will request you to please reach out to Global Customer Support as they manages those area of request.
    Contact Customer Representative

Regards,
    Saurabh

Regards,
    Saurabh

• 8.  RE: Selecting java version while installing CA-RA Agent

Posted Aug 14, 2019 12:38 PM
    Hi Saurabh,

I am not able to access the download centre either. The installation media that i have are :
    126598889 Apr 29 2018 nolio_agent_solaris-x64_6_6_0_b9640.sh
    110185597 Apr 29 2018 nolio_agent_solaris-x86-jre6_6_6_0_b9640.sh
    128898395 Apr 29 2018 nolio_agent_solaris-sparc-64_6_6_0_b9640.sh
    114289483 Apr 29 2018 nolio_agent_solaris-sparc-32-jre6_6_6_0_b9640.sh

It does not have installation media with name "nolio_agent_solaris-sparc-32_<version>_b<build>.sh" compatible with Solaris 10 Update 9, 11, and SPARC as you have mentioned. Please let me know where do i get that file from.

Best regards
    Amit Joshi.

• 9.  RE: Selecting java version while installing CA-RA Agent

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 14, 2019 03:12 PM
    Hi Amit,

I think there is a typo in the product documentation which is where the update about nolio_agent_solaris-sparc-32_<version>_b<build>.sh came from. 

For the intel solaris x64 based systems you should use nolio_agent_solaris-x64_6_6_0_b9640.sh.
    For the SPARC solaris x64 based systems you should use nolio_agent_solaris-sparc-64_6_6_0_b9640.sh.

Both of these embed a version of JRE. So they can't be used to install the agent when you want to use a version of JAVA already installed on the system. I see that you had problems accessing the knowledge base article that has more information on installing agents using an alternative JRE. Can you try this URL: https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=4628

There are two installers that don't embed a JRE (to my knowledge). They are.
    1. nolio_agent_6_6_0_b9640.sh; and
    2. nolio_agent_aix_6_6_0_b9640.sh

Since this is not AIX you'd want to try using nolio_agent_6_6_0_b9640.sh IF you're trying to install an agent using an existing JRE. Note there is no platform/os in this installer's filename. 

Kind regards,
    Gregg

• 10.  RE: Selecting java version while installing CA-RA Agent

Posted Aug 15, 2019 05:43 AM
    Hi Gregg,

Thanks for helping me out here. With the corrected installation media, the installation went through.

Best regards,
    Amit Joshi.

• 11.  RE: Selecting java version while installing CA-RA Agent

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 15, 2019 09:12 AM
    Great! Thanks for confirming! Thanks to you and Saurabh. You guys did all the hard work. :)
    Sorry for the inconvenience. 

-Gregg

• 12.  RE: Selecting java version while installing CA-RA Agent

Posted Aug 15, 2019 05:43 AM
    Hi Saurabh,

Thanks for all your help to solve the issue. 

Best regards,
    Amit Joshi