Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

• 1.  Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Posted Jun 24, 2015 09:50 AM

Is there a recommended solution to set up temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in Clarity?  This would be needed if someone is going on vacation or an extended leave.  Another scenario is if there is a primary PM but he/she has delegated to another person.

• 2.  Re: Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Posted Jun 24, 2015 10:09 AM

Hi ,

Have you tried the option of setting up a proxy.

I have put in some information for you below.

I hope it helps.

Regards

Nitin

Designate Proxies
    You can temporarily designate another resource as your action items proxy using the Proxy page in Account Settings. As a proxy, the assigned resource receives action items such as your regularly scheduled or urgent actions items during the specified proxy period.
    During the period that an action item is due, the designated proxy sees the action item in their Action Items portlet on their Overview page.
    Important! Verify that the resource designated as your action items proxy has the appropriate access rights for the actions they must process. For example, if you designate a proxy to receive action items to approve timesheets, the proxy requires the Timesheets - Approve All right.

Follow these steps:
    1. Open Home, and from Personal, click Account Settings.
    2. Click Proxy.
    3. Complete the requested information in the Setup section, and save your changes.

View Your List of Proxies
    If other resources have designated you as their action items proxy, their names appear in the Resources field on the Proxy page of Account Settings. Any action items that become due during the proxy period display in your Action Items portlet on the Overview page. One or more resources can designate you as a proxy.

• 3.  Re: Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Posted Jun 24, 2015 10:42 AM

Sorry that I mistyped your name, Nitin.

- Mary Ann

Mary Ann Ledwith

Deputy Director, Program Management

Resource Planning & Management

Mobile:  1.518.560-2164

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Mary Ann Ledwith <

• 4.  Re: Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Posted Jun 24, 2015 11:12 AM

No worries Mary.

Currently the proxy settings happen at a resource level (individual resource) .

Apologies if I misunderstood this but are you wanting to set a proxy for "Project Manager" role for a particular Project ?

If that is the case , then it is not possible and you would have to set a proxy for the actual project manager (the actual resource)

• 5.  Re: Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Posted Jun 24, 2015 10:42 AM

Thank you, Nina - this is not a task level question.  I am looking for

delegates to security roles:  Resource Manager, PM, etc.

- Mary Ann

Mary Ann Ledwith

Deputy Director, Program Management

Resource Planning & Management

Mobile:  1.518.560-2164

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 10:09 AM, NitinAgarwal <

• 6.  Re: Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Posted Jun 24, 2015 11:46 AM

There is a ''Grant Access' right that could be used allow someone else, other than the PM or RM, to have ediit rights you might want to investigate.  This is different than the Proxy option.

• 7.  Re: Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Posted Jun 24, 2015 01:28 PM

The proxy feature only reroutes actions from the user to the proxy.  The feature also has some issues (e.g. circular proxy arrangements can be setup, and proxies aren't notified of their assignment as proxy - people still need to talk to each other!).

Granting access to an interim resource can be done by the user on an instance basis, only (go to project or resource, open "Access this project/resource" search for and add your interim delegate.  A real pain.

Our Workaround:  Typically, we are granting the same rights to the same level of resources.  This means, that a project manager in a particular group, can view and edit projects managed by the group.  That way, if a project manager A leaves, project manager B can pick up project manager A's projects - with no changes required in CA PPM by project manager A or admin support staff.  Also, groups at higher levels of management have superior rights than lower levels - so a project and/or resource manager's boss will be able to step in to manage, or reassign work as necessary.  It works, we trust our people, and so far have not been disappointed.

Ideas:  There are a number of Ideas regarding improvements to the proxy capability.  Please, look at them and vote them up.  This one, I really like - Selective Proxy.  Why?  Because it talks about an "advanced" proxy method, one that might recognize that not all of one's work will always go to one interim delegate.  Additionally, it is likely that one's project management and resource management responsibilities might go to different delegates.  Why?  One might delegate project management down to a lower management level resource, while some resource management rights must be exercised by a resource at the same or higher level of management.

Dale

• 8.  Re: Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Posted Mar 02, 2016 08:01 PM

For inquiring minds who want to know how we solved the problem in GLOBALFOUNDRIES - our IT team ultimately created a custom Proxy Project Manager field that allows multiple names to be input.  The field is set up so that anyone who is listed has the same edit rights as the Project Manager (PM) on the project.  When they are removed, as expected, their edit rights change accordingly.

• 9.  Re: Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 04, 2016 07:19 PM

Another option is to give Instance rights on the Project from the Project > Properties tab > Access to this project > Resource. Then grant the backup project manager any specific rights they need to manage the project.

NOTE: This does not give rights to action items or to view timesheet data if you are using the Project Manager Approval Process. The action items is via the Account Settings > Proxy, and the timesheet data view rights are only granted to the project manager in the Manager field. Changing that to the backup manager will allow them to see the timesheet data.

For Resource Managers, you can do the same as the project, Resource > Properties tab > Access to this resource > Resource. Then grant the backup resource manage any specific rights they need to manage the resource.

• 10.  Re: Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Posted Mar 07, 2016 10:56 AM

We set up a custom process and an attribute in the project. The attribute is called Alternate Project Manager. When a name(s) is/are added to this attribute and the project saved, the process is kicked off and grants specific instance rights to this project to those listed in the Alternate Project Manager attribute.

For Resource Managers, we have it set up as instance right are granted to an Alt-RM over a small portion of the Resrouce OBS that the real RM oversees.

MIke

• 11.  Re: Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Posted Mar 08, 2019 08:05 AM

Hello Mike, Do you have any idea what are the rights of project managers which are not listed in Project Edit rights. I need to provide those right to my Alternate project manager i.e. PM can see Timesheet Data of there projects/tasks..

Thanks
    Awadhesh

• 12.  Re: Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Posted Mar 08, 2019 04:52 AM

Jane_George - Is there a way we can give timesheet view rights to someone else who is not PM or say new attribute called as Alternate Project MAnager in Project Object to view timesheet of those projects... ?

• 13.  Re: Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Posted Mar 08, 2019 05:09 AM

Chris_Hackett - Kindly help me getting this answers.. Need to view timesheet of Project without having Project Manager assigned via Proxy Project manager or alternate Project manager concept people are talking here ..

• 14.  Re: Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Posted Mar 08, 2019 04:39 AM

Hello,

I know its very old post, but i am looking for similar solution to on board Proxy PM in project for specific time without removing the current project manager.. Any one have Idea what writes and how can i add to them so that they can have same right to specific project.

thanks

AD

• 15.  Re: Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Posted Mar 08, 2019 05:20 AM

Without reading the whole thread Michael Thibault's solution is something I have seen used also elsewhere.

• 16.  Re: Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Posted Mar 08, 2019 05:26 AM

Correct! But I am looking for "the process is kicked off and grants specific instance rights to this project "

What are those Specific Rights, I need Project manager (Auto) kind of like. They can see Timesheet Projects who's Alternate PM they are...Kind of solution. I added all Project Rights to the Alternate Resource but not able to see timesheet sheet values for that instance Project.. Any Idea..?

• 17.  Re: Temporary backups for Resource Managers or PM's in CA PPM

Posted Mar 08, 2019 06:19 AM

Sounds like timesheet and resource rights.

In CA PPM it is the resource manager that has timesheet related access.

To see timesheets and timeentries.

Think you would need Resource timeesheet approve and resource view rights added by the process to the members of the project tema.