CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Microsoft ending support for ntext fields in MSSQL 2016

Posted May 02, 2016 09:47 AM

I opened a support case on this and was told to contact CA Services.  I contacted CA Services and they've never responded.  I asked during the CA Office Hours and they suggested I post the question here.

Microsoft recently published an article indicating that they are removing support for nText fields in the MSSQL 2016 release.  Deprecated Database Engine Features in SQL Server 2016   Does CA have a plan to address this since all of their long text fields are nText in MSSQL?

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Microsoft ending support for ntext fields in MSSQL 2016

Posted May 23, 2016 12:11 AM

Hello Andrea,

Please message me the Support case and I'll take a look a this. (Hover over my name, and choose "Message.")

Note that Microsoft support is NOT being dropped for the next release of SQL, but some version after, for 'ntext.'

Deprecated Database Engine Features in SQL Server 2016

- - - - -

Features Not Supported in a Future Version of SQL Server

The following SQL Server Database Engine features are supported in the next version of SQL Server, but will be removed in a later version. The specific version of SQL Server has not been determined.

CategoryDeprecated featureReplacementFeature nameFeature ID
    Data typesData types:Use varchar(max), nvarchar(max), and varbinary(max) data types.Data types:text, ntext orimage4
    text
    ntext

- - - - -

I'd like to answer "Yes, will be taken care of by then" based on past experience - for any of our faults, CA is actually pretty good on staying on top of changes like this one.

But if you message me the Support case, I'll see if I can follow up with our Dev. Team for a response.

Note though that as the change has not happened yet, the likely answer is "It will be reviewed when Microsoft announces the SQL version that this will come in."

Thanks, Kyle_R.

• 3.  Re: Microsoft ending support for ntext fields in MSSQL 2016

Posted May 23, 2016 09:51 PM

Hello Andrea,

CA Development have confirmed that they are tracking this.

When the change comes from Microsoft, our products will be reviewed for this specific impact.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

• 4.  Re: Microsoft ending support for ntext fields in MSSQL 2016

Posted May 24, 2016 09:33 AM

no problem, clarifying technically the answer .

NTEXT it's a binary data.

It's possible to use the same functionality using other MS SQL types.

Example: ,nvarchar, binary, varbinary, text, ntext ou image

Know more:

UPDATETEXT (Transact-SQL)

UPDATETEXT (Transact-SQL) - PT-BR