DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Needed: What are your top 5 favorite APM Supportability Metrics?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2018 06:11 AM

Dear Team:

One of the various efforts underway is to improve documentation on Supportability Metrics

1) What are your top 5 favorite APM Supportability metrics? How are you using them? What would you want to see better doumented on them?
    2) Are there other APM Supportability metrics that you want to see documented?

No Guarantees to be changed. But will pass the informal on to Documentation for consideration

Thanks

Hal German

• 2.  Re: Needed: What are your top 5 favorite APM Supportability Metrics?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2018 08:31 AM

Hi Hallet,

my five metrics:

Harvest Duration
    Smartstor Duration
    Overall Capacity
    Number of Historical Metrics
    Number of Live Metrics

We use the following two, in addition, as output of EPAagent (df -k, vmstat):

EM CPU I/O wait Percentage

EM FileSystem available space.

and this one as output of EPAagent logreader:

Skew time over thresold (we have a recurring problem due to VMWare configuration)

We built alerts on these metrics and we feed with metrics data and alerts an APM Infrastructure Dashboard displayed in 55 inch monitors in FLS/SLS Rooms. We have this kind of dashboard for each APM production environment.

For skew time over threshold we added a email notification to FLS/SLS groups.

In my opinion this document has sufficient information (but the information is't never enough...)

CA APM Performance Monitoring Using Supportability Metrics - CA Application Performance Management - 10.5 - CA Technolog… 

Regards,

Marco

• 3.  Re: Needed: What are your top 5 favorite APM Supportability Metrics?

Posted Apr 05, 2018 09:34 AM

Lynn_Williams

May top 5 Metrics are

Harvest, SmartStor and GC Duration.

Heap Utilization.

Number of live Metrics

Number of Historical  Metris.

Over all Capacity

I want to see Database connection metrics because it is now major part of creating map view in Team Center and if DB is disconnected the view is blank.

• 4.  Re: Needed: What are your top 5 favorite APM Supportability Metrics?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2018 10:00 AM

Hi janidwily,

we are using an EPAagent logreader that checks the DB error in MOM logfile and set an alert on APM Infrastucture dashboard.
    It's a custom solution and reports only the DB unavailability. It would be useful to have others metrics and OOTB. 

• 5.  Re: Needed: What are your top 5 favorite APM Supportability Metrics?

Posted Aug 20, 2018 03:29 AM

Hi Everyone,

Feel free to have a look at the Top 5 Supportability Metrics page in the APM documentation. Please don't hesitate to add comments to the page if you feel something is missing.

Thanks!