CA Service Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

priorities selection based on category

• 1.  priorities selection based on category

Posted Dec 17, 2017 03:16 PM

Hello Everyone,

currently we have priorities (p1-1hr,p2-12hr,p3-24hr) which is selected based on the Impact and Urgency.priority is read only.

Now we have to add priorities (c1-1hr,c2-6hr,c3-12hr) for New Categories, which will be also based on Impact and Urgency.

Based on New categories, how to define New priorities(c1,c2,c3) and select priority based on Impact and Urgency.

Jon_Israel

napa08

sirha02

Regards

Sandeep kr

• 2.  Re: priorities selection based on category

Posted Dec 18, 2017 08:05 AM

Hi Sandeep,

As per our documentation, it specifically states that you can edit existing priorities, but you cannot delete existing, nor create new ones.  You can see this noted here on this page:

Priority Calculation - CA Service Management - 17.0 - CA Technologies Documentation 

To be honest, I think that you are attempting to use priority based on category, which is not a standard thing to do.  Since you have your priorities tied to a time frame, what you need to do is define one priority per time frame to cover your entire time-frame range, and then attach SLAs to those categories, that are priority dependent.   That would be the correct way to do this as you will not be able to add additional priorities and then calculations specific to those.  For information on using SLAs, see this section: Service Level Agreements (SLA) - CA Service Management - 17.0 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Thanks,
    Jon I.

• 3.  Re: priorities selection based on category

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 18, 2017 10:08 AM

Sandeep,

Please provide further clarification to what you are trying to do.  As Jon_Israel mentioned, it is not possible to add or remove priority table entries.  In this case, what effect would using 'p1-1hr" have vs. "c1-1hr" or why you are staggering priorities in two different ways based on different timing intervals.

Can you describe the business case, the scenario in play that would drive the priority utilisation?

• 4.  Re: priorities selection based on category

Posted Dec 18, 2017 03:33 PM

Thank u David for your quick response.
    Currently we are having..
    P1 resolution--1hr
    P2 resolution--12hr
    P3 resolution--24hr

Now for our New Infra we are having below mentioned Priority and resolution time.
    New Infra's CATEGORY and Priority will integrated with our existing setup...

P1 resolution--1hr
    P2 resolution--6hr
    P3 resolution--12hr

How to manage resolution timing with these priorities p1,p2,p3(as c1,c2,c3 priorities is not possible/standard) ?

Do I need to write conditions for New Infra category for the required resolution time in Events/Macros?

Regards
    Sandeep kr

• 5.  Re: priorities selection based on category

Posted Dec 18, 2017 03:34 PM

Thank u Jon_Israel for your quick response.
    Currently we are having..
    P1 resolution--1hr
    P2 resolution--12hr
    P3 resolution--24hr

Now for our New Infra we are having below mentioned Priority and resolution time.
    New Infra's CATEGORY and Priority will integrated with our existing setup...

P1 resolution--1hr
    P2 resolution--6hr
    P3 resolution--12hr

How to manage resolution timing with these priorities p1,p2,p3(as c1,c2,c3 priorities is not possible/standard) ?

Do I need to write conditions for New Infra category for the required resolution time in Events/Macros?

Regards
    Sandeep kr

• 6.  Re: priorities selection based on category

Posted Dec 18, 2017 07:27 PM

Hi Sunilpatel,

If the users that uses this categories is filtered, maybe you can use Service Contract

• 7.  Re: priorities selection based on category

Posted Dec 19, 2017 02:53 AM

Hi Sunil,

Based on your last response, I think your challenge has got nothing to do with Priority, but your rather it is related to the Service Type (SLA). You seem to assume Priority is the only field driving the SLA when actually there are more ways to 'skin this cat' 

To address your issue, you need to dismantle and remove the SLA's from the Priority and the map\link the SLA directly to the Category. This way, your priority list remains intact and can be used across the organization. The category will then drive and put the relevant SLA into the ticket as you desire. The only challenge with this is of cause maintenance, which then becomes a bit of nightmare depending on how many categories are in place.

Alternatively go with Service Contracts as per favendano.sonda advice which should also address your issue somewhat...

===

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 8.  Re: priorities selection based on category

Posted Dec 22, 2017 12:18 AM

Hello Brian,

Thank u

I Created the Service type with lowest Ranking and attached it with Categories, attached the required events in service type as per the SLA .

I got my expected result.

Thank u.

Regards

Sandeep kr

• 9.  Re: priorities selection based on category

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2017 10:09 AM

Hi Sunil/Sandeep,

It looks like you have two factors with Service Type.

P1-1hr
       c1-1hr
       c2-6hr
       p2-12hr
       c3-12hr 
       p3-24hr

You can have Service Type tied with priority and Service Type tied with request area (Category) at the same time if you use Ranking in Service Type.

Below is copy from menu Help >"Help on This Window..." of Service Type Detail page for Service Type Fields - Ranking.

"Ranking
    Service types can be associated with various objects, such as contacts, organizations, categories, and priority codes. If different service types are associated with a ticket, the one that is used depends on the value in this field, where the one with the lowest number has the highest priority. For example, if an issue is opened and the Affected End User contact has a 12-hour resolution service type, which is ranked as 2, while the priority code has a 4-hour resolution service type, which is ranked as 1, the service type for the issue is 4-hour resolution.

You must enter a value of 1 or greater; values of 0 or negative numbers are not allowed."

Now, the next question what happen when a request with c2 and p2 as it is 6hr SLA and 12hr SLA. It should go for the c2-6hr not p2-12hr. The Ranking may give you the answer if 6hr has lower number of ranking.  It also answers a request with P1 and c3. It should go for p1-1hr SLA not c3-12hr SLA if you have ranking setting accordingly.

Regards,
    Chun (Derek) Li

• 10.  Re: priorities selection based on category
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 22, 2017 12:17 AM

Hi Chun,

Thank u for the replu.

I Created the Service type with lowest Ranking and attached it with Categories, attached the required events in service type as per the SLA .

I got my expected result.

Thank u.

Regards

Sandeep kr

• 11.  Re: priorities selection based on category

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 21, 2017 09:22 AM

Hi Sunil/Sandeep,

Did you consider Service Type Ranking another way to use both priority and category with Service Type?

Regards,

Derek