Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Replacing Oracle with Postgres

Posted Nov 06, 2019 08:20 AM

Hi Folks

We are planning on moving to 12.3 early next year and have spotted that 12.3 supports Postgres as the underlying database.

Has anyone migrated from Oracle to Postgres and if so did you encounter any issues ?

Regards

Joe

Please note that Revenue cannot guarantee that any personal and sensitive data, sent in plain text via standard email, is fully secure. Customers who choose to use this channel are deemed to have accepted any risk involved. The alternative communication methods offered by Revenue include standard post and the option to use our (encrypted) MyEnquiries service which is available within myAccount and ROS. You can register for either myAccount or ROS on the Revenue website.  Tabhair faoi deara nach féidir leis na Coimisinéirí Ioncaim ráthaíocht a thabhairt go bhfuil aon sonraí pearsanta agus íogair a gcuirtear isteach i ngnáth-théacs trí r-phost caighdeánach go huile is go hiomlán slán. Meastar go nglacann custaiméirí a úsáideann an cainéal seo le haon riosca bainteach. I measc na modhanna cumarsáide eile atá ag na Coimisinéirí ná post caighdeánach agus an rogha ár seirbhís (criptithe) M'Fhiosruithe a úsáid, tá sí ar fáil laistigh de MoChúrsaí agus ROS. Is féidir leat clárú le haghaidh ceachtar MoChúrsaí nó ROS ar shuíomh gréasáin na gCoimisinéirí.

• 2.  RE: Replacing Oracle with Postgres
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 13, 2019 08:44 AM
    I can just give you some approaches on migrating from oracle to postgresql:

1) Use Unload in oracle / and Load in posgresql to migrate
    This can take quite some time and memory (on the utilities)
    Not recommended to unload / load with all statistics/execution data for that reason but only for definitions. Make sure you only export the last month of statistics by reorg/unload/... before starting the migration or only migrate definitions and skip all statistics records.

2) Setup a new system with postgresql and use transportcase or client copy to move project by project to this new system.

Hope that helps.

• 3.  RE: Replacing Oracle with Postgres

Posted Nov 13, 2019 09:32 AM

Thanks Tobias

I was hoping it was that straight forward.

We never brought the stats and reports with us when we migrated to a new oracle database , so these are  no loss.

Have you  encountered any issues with characters sets ?

Regards

Joe

• 4.  RE: Replacing Oracle with Postgres

Posted Sep 07, 2022 03:07 PM
    Joe, or anyone else!

Did you successfully migrate from Oracle to Postgres using unload/load? Or any other method?

Thanks!

• 5.  RE: Replacing Oracle with Postgres

Posted Sep 08, 2022 09:22 AM
    I migrated us from Oracle 12.x to postgres earlier this year.  There is a glitch in the lower versions of Automic 12 which consume a lot of db sessions, fixed in 12.3.8  I migrated as Tobias details, load and unload with a brand new system.  We do not care about statistics and old reports.  You should take special care to populate all of the sql variables with postgres query variants, some postgres functions change from oracle (of the top of my head sysdate is different).

I tried to load my prod postgres into an analytics database and this did not work, I will have to change the user on analytics to allow them to work together.  Analytics was installed as automic and has matching tables, just a bad conflict and needs to be avoided.

You will want to pay special attention to postgres networking and your pg_hba.conf file  postgresql.conf recommendations in the manual are good, I would turn on session logging if you want to troubleshoot connectivity out of the box. 
    log_connections = on
    log_disconnections = on
    I found those gems my second or third install when chasing connectivity, I set them before starting now.

------------------------------
    Scott Hughes
    Senior Automation Engineer
    Verizon
    Albuquerque, NM
    ------------------------------