DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

The migration of db is transparent for my CA UIM system?

• 1.  The migration of db is transparent for my CA UIM system?

Posted Jun 14, 2019 10:38 AM
    Hi everyone.

Right now we have UIM 8.51 with MSSQL 2008 R2.

The next week we perform upgrade UIM 8.51 to 9.0.2 and after the next month we want to migrate the MSSQL of 2008 R2 to MSSQL 2016. I do not know if the migration of db is transparent for my CA UIM system.

Anyone happen for this ?

King regads.

• 2.  RE: The migration of db is transparent for my CA UIM system?

Posted Jun 14, 2019 01:01 PM
    If the uim database is being migrated from one system running ms sql to a different system running ms sql 2016 the data_engine should be deactivated and reconfigured to point to the new server. If there are a lot of message consider stopping the nimsoft watcher service at the primary hub during the change so message build up at the second tier hubs instead of overwhelming the primary by everything building up there. Of course, take images of both the primary hub & the database prior to both the upgrade and db migration. Also prior to the upgrade update the robots and hubs to 7.97 which is compatible with 8.51 and help avoid problems once 9.0.2 is in place.

------------------------------
    Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: The migration of db is transparent for my CA UIM system?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 17, 2019 09:32 AM
    We Support the DB Migration:
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management/9-0-2/en/administering/move-the-uim-database-ms-sql-server

Senior Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 4.  RE: The migration of db is transparent for my CA UIM system?

Posted Jun 17, 2019 12:38 PM
    Hi David and Alex.

My question is, because a support Engineer indicated that a system UIM in producction enviroment not support to migration of MSSQL 2008 to MSSQL 2016. The support Engineer indicate that I need install CA UIM fresh, and this is not viable for me because I have in monitoring 300 servers, 1000 device network and we have many monitoring and we can not install CAUIM again.

I understand for the david comment's that we can migrate the db of mssql2008 to mssql2016 and we will don't have problems. Is that true? I need only change the Ip to database of data_engine? but what happen with other probe that connect with the db like WASP of UMP robot

I appreciate your comments because I need have all clear for to tall with the customer.

• 5.  RE: The migration of db is transparent for my CA UIM system?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 20, 2019 08:30 AM
    Hi, Here is one safe approach.

1. Built new UIM+UMP system with new database box.
    2. Dettach existing UIM+UMP system from playing with downsteam hubs/robots.
    3. Insert new UIM+UMP system into play with downstream hubs/robots.

Key points :
    With this approach, we are using both systems parallel for some period of time.

For data in the past, keep old UIM+UMP system until raw data in old DB gets purged out (based on data retention period)
    For live data, use new system.

Users supposed to access new system to get live data, while users supposed to access old system to get data in the past.

Best Regards, Yu Ishitani

• 6.  RE: The migration of db is transparent for my CA UIM system?

Posted Jun 20, 2019 10:16 AM
    Hi Yu

That is a great idea. In fact i am thinking in somethink like those, the problem that is that what happen with the dashboards, filters on UMP Alarms, the custom porlets, the look and feel of some user? The custom configuration in alarm_enrichment (rules)?. Is possible migrate this contiguration to the new enviroment UIM in 9.0.2 version

Best Regards

• 7.  RE: The migration of db is transparent for my CA UIM system?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 20, 2019 10:06 PM
    Hi, Thank you very much for reply.
    You are correct that some piece of data is portable while some are not.

eg. dashboard is portable via export/import.
    probe specific rules (suppose rule is being stored into cfg file) is portable by mirroring the same cfg file.

Unfortunately some part of config has to be re-configured manually.

eg. Device Grouping rule, Maintenance rule, UMP accounts/users, and so on.

• 8.  RE: The migration of db is transparent for my CA UIM system?

Posted Jun 25, 2019 11:26 AM
    Hi @Yu_Ishitani, you saw the comment of @David Michel. If i understand, it is possible to use ca uim of ms sql 2008 operational, to mssql 2016 !!! So just to migrate the db engine. ​​It's tru this affirmation?
    If that isn't correct maybe to move the db ca uim of mssql 2008 r2 to mssql 2012 after to 2014 and finaly move to mssql 2016. Is possible this?

• 9.  RE: The migration of db is transparent for my CA UIM system?

Posted Jun 25, 2019 11:41 AM
    My post was made with the understanding the migration of the uim database from one system to the other is being done by your dba.
    Much of ump is in the database so some of the customization will be there.
    It is also possible to copy the wasp folder over to the new system.
    Running both in parallel as Yu recommends will provide the opportunity for testing and fixing.

Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 10.  RE: The migration of db is transparent for my CA UIM system?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 26, 2019 03:43 AM
    @Miller Grisepe Echagarreta Parra ,​ which edition of MS SQL Server 2016 are you migrating to?Is it Enterprise edition  or Standard edition?

Regards,
    Dhanunjay

• 11.  RE: The migration of db is transparent for my CA UIM system?

Posted Jun 26, 2019 01:56 PM
    Hi @Dhanunjaya Rao Lakhinana we need to migrate from the version MSSQL 2008 Standard ​ to MSSQL 2016 Standard

We think that maybe this working with compatibility mode

• 12.  RE: The migration of db is transparent for my CA UIM system?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 26, 2019 04:56 AM
    Hi, We are not sure what method is available to migrate UIM database running on SQL 2008 based system into another SQL 2016 based system.

I think the below link is supposed to refer in under the senario where considering to move UIM database in between 2 database systems running the same release, same edition.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management/9-0-2/en/administering/move-the-uim-database-ms-sql-server

Best Regards, Yu Ishitani