Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Product Announcement - Changes to QDP Work Item Templates

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 20, 2018 06:04 PM
    Please Note: In order to make these changes, we are going to be doing maintenance on Tuesday, November 27th from 2-4pm MT. During this time, we ask that you do not create or delete any templates. After 4pm on November 27th, just do a hard refresh on any browsers before creating any templates.

We have some exciting new updates to the Work Item Templates for QDP! In addition to some great new functionality, we are also going to be making it available to all customers on Monday, December 3rd.

On Tuesday, November 27th, we will be making some highly requested updates to templates:

Ability To Change Default Without Deleting Old Default

If you want to change the default at any level, just open the template modal, uncheck the current default and check the new default you want at any level. You can also see the asterisk on the template that will take priority.

Addition of Prepend and Append Template Content For Text Fields

When creating a template, you now have the option to choose if you want the content to prepend, append or replace the content of text fields.

Template Permissions/Defaults To A Project Hierarchy

When you are creating a template and choose to make it visible to the project, you can now choose to share the template with child projects. Selecting "Default For Project" in this case will also make it the default template for that project hierarchy. 

Child Stories On Lowest Level Portfolio Items And Parent Stories

Now when you create a template for the lowest level portfolio item (e.g. feature) or for epic stories, you can also include the top level of child stories in the template. The fields that will be included in child story templates are name, description and notes.

More Fields On Child Tasks

Since you can create story templates with child tasks, we've added a few more highly requested fields to the task portion of those templates. Child tasks will now include name, description, plan estimate and notes.

• 2.  Re: Product Announcement - Changes to QDP Work Item Templates

Posted Nov 30, 2018 11:01 AM

This is great stuff!  I've been playing with the new template functionality today.  

I love the ability to cascade a template to child projects.  Is that something that can be added to shared views?  For example, when I share a Work View with a project, I'd like the option to make it visible to child projects.  The same goes for views on the Team Board and views on lists like the Custom List, Portfolio Items, etc. This is one of the biggest frustrations among our users - that they can't share a view with their Release Train and all child Teams.