Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  After upgrade to v12.3.6hf2: JWP crashed on autoforecast

Posted Oct 20, 2021 06:47 AM
    Edited by Bernhard Flegel Oct 20, 2021 06:49 AM
    We upgraded our testsystem from v12.3.5hf1 to v12.3.6hf2. After that we have encountered a problem with autoforecast:

We run the autoforecast for a 60 days intervall. After the update there is a memory-problem with the JWP: the process always crashes during calculating the autoforecast. Trying to increase the heapspace of the JWP to 6GB didn't fit the bill, it still crashes.

The suggestion from the support: run the Autoforecast for less than 10 days to avoid problems with the memory.

This can't be the solution. In our production system we have much more schedules and tasks to be calculated! Does anyone have a similar problem with autoforecast and maybe have a clue for me?

Greetings
    Bernhard

• 2.  RE: After upgrade to v12.3.6hf2: JWP crashed on autoforecast

Posted Oct 20, 2021 04:11 PM

We just upgraded to 12.3.6 HF1.  We are facing the same issue.

Based on your information, we also reduced the number of days from 21 to 10 day.  While the forecast does complete, the results are less than accurate.  Not all the objects in the forecast is completed as well as not expandable.  There are some objects showing the status as exceed Timeout. 

Lester

This message may contain information, including personally identifiable information that is confidential, privileged, or otherwise legally protected. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message without copying, disclosing, or distributing it.

• 3.  RE: After upgrade to v12.3.6hf2: JWP crashed on autoforecast

Posted Oct 20, 2021 06:23 PM

We are on 12.3.0 hf1, and consider autoforecast to be broken.  At first we thought it was working, but it was actually failing part-way-thru without any warning, so the results were always incomplete.

Consequently, we wrote our own forecast script.  We used it successfully last month for a major planned outage.  It has several design limitations.  It only forecasts for one day at a time (which is typically what we need to look at anyway), and only forecasts JSCH schedules.  It doesn't know how to forecast objects that automatically repeat. The results are saved in csv format.  Anyway, I share the code with those that private message me with their email address.

------------------------------
    Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 4.  RE: After upgrade to v12.3.6hf2: JWP crashed on autoforecast

Posted Oct 21, 2021 02:04 PM

Is there any chance that GENERIC_AUTO_FORECAST_LIMIT is taken into account at autoforecast generation time?

I don't think it does, and it shouldn't, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 5.  RE: After upgrade to v12.3.6hf2: JWP crashed on autoforecast

Posted Oct 22, 2021 02:30 AM
    Edited by John Birck Oct 22, 2021 03:35 AM
    Hi Pete,

We exported autoforecasts and the csv had almost nearly 20000 lines but never more than that. As notorious optimist I set the parameter GENERIC_AUTO_FORECAST_LIMIT to 100000 and got an autoforecast with the default of 5001 lines only (5000 lines output + 1 headline). Therefore I thought it might count. But of course asking is better. I would be really glad to know how to increase the forecast-range.
    Btw - thanks a lot for script & comments!
    Regards
    John

Technical Project Manager
    Avectris IT
    Switzerland

• 6.  RE: After upgrade to v12.3.6hf2: JWP crashed on autoforecast

Posted Oct 21, 2021 09:45 AM
    Edited by John Birck Oct 21, 2021 10:00 AM
    Hello Bernhard,

In version 12.3.3 we have not your memory problem but a problem in general with reporting (I would a forecast expect to be a "report in the future").
    Besides reports in the past which do not limit to the given time period (e.g. "get all jobs from April 2021" and get "jobs of April and moreover jobs till now") our forecast seems to be incomplete (a merry welcome to Lester and Pete) and even more limited in the range according to the GENERIC_AUTO_FORECAST_LIMIT in UC_SYSTEM_SETTINGS:
    Default are 5000 lines and even in version 21 the autoforecast-maximum remains 20000 lines. Due to the number of daily jobs this 20k-limit brings our forecast down to a maxium of roundabout 9 days.
    I had hoped to get rid of some of this trouble by updating to version 12.3.6 but your post makes me a bit uneasy.

Kind regards

John

Technical Project Manager
    Avectris IT
    Switzerland