DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  UIM 8.4 MCS Default Disks - How to apply to all disks

Posted Mar 11, 2016 08:00 AM

How do I set up MCS such that all of my disks get the default configuration?  If I set up a default config, it only gets applied to disks that get added later, not disks that already exist when the robot is first added to UIM.

• 2.  Re: UIM 8.4 MCS Default Disks - How to apply to all disks

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 02, 2016 04:31 PM

Hi currently In order for Monitoring system disk settings to be pushed on to CMD probes, you have to add the Disk(s) in the Monitoring UI. The Default Disk(s) configuration works for new disks created later.

• 3.  Re: UIM 8.4 MCS Default Disks - How to apply to all disks

Posted Jan 03, 2017 09:18 AM

Now that 8.5 has been released, I am hoping to hear that the above answer is no longer correct and that the design has improved.  Has it?

• 4.  Re: UIM 8.4 MCS Default Disks - How to apply to all disks

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 04, 2016 01:12 PM

We believe this question was answered, if not please let us know

• 5.  Re: UIM 8.4 MCS Default Disks - How to apply to all disks

Posted Jan 03, 2017 05:35 AM

If you have waited around 4 years for policy based management like other products offer this is a major deficiency in UIM. How is this supposed to work in the real world we have upwards of 20k robots, this means we are unable to use MCS to configure any disk monitoring on existing kit. The only option would be for somebody to hard code every disk mount point in the template. The default disk setting also doesn't work anyway on the disks that exist when the robot is installed, it only works if a disk is added. The whole idea seems very poorly designed with no thought to how this will actually be used and no automation benefit at all.

• 6.  Re: UIM 8.4 MCS Default Disks - How to apply to all disks

Posted Jan 03, 2017 09:17 AM

We have found it works fairly well most of the time when we have the default disk and specific disks set up.  (We are on 8.47). 

• 7.  Re: UIM 8.4 MCS Default Disks - How to apply to all disks

Posted Jan 03, 2017 10:45 AM

So we are testing using the following combination using 8.47

UIM 8.47 included an MCS template update that allows CDM to capture disks based on the combination of Filesystem Type Filter (i.e. what File Systems to monitor on the host) and Ignore File Systems (i.e. what mount points to ignore). This combination seems to work across platforms also.

1. Create the MCS Monitoring Profile

2. Configure 'setup CDM' and configure the follow two fields:

a. Filesystem Type Filter  e.g. /(ext.*|NTFS)/

b. Ignore Filesystems  e.g. /\/(tmp|mnt|dev|boot|lib|media|cdrom).*/

3. Configure 'Default Disks' as you would like monitoring applied to the discovered disks.

Try this out if you are on 8.47.

• 8.  Re: UIM 8.4 MCS Default Disks - How to apply to all disks

Posted Jan 03, 2017 10:58 AM

The problem is a basic business process doesn't work, we are also using 8.47

1. Create dynamic group eg "Linux" systems

2. Create CDM templates on this group for default disk and cdm setup

3. Install a new robot on a Linux system

What we see is

1. The system is discovered in the group

2. cdm probe is deployed

3. mcs template is deployed

But crucially CDM starts and finds the disks before MCS deploys the templates so it doesn't do anything the filesystem filters and default disk config are basically too late. If you look in the ssrv2audit table you can see the order it deploys.

• 9.  Re: UIM 8.4 MCS Default Disks - How to apply to all disks

Posted Jan 05, 2017 07:44 AM

I had to configure the cdm.cfx file with my "template". Then CDM is deployed using my basic configuration.

The problem is when there are many different rules.

I think CA must create a solution for this issue.

• 10.  Re: UIM 8.4 MCS Default Disks - How to apply to all disks

Posted Jan 06, 2017 05:48 AM

If your using 8.47 or upgraded your system them take a look at this information buried away in the MCS release notes probe pages, look for the Upgrade section.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/mon_config_service-monitoring-configuration-service/mon_config_service-monitoring-configuration-service-release-notes#mon_config_service(MonitoringConfigurationService)ReleaseNotes-upgradetemplateUpgradeTemplates

If you upgrade the templates as noted via probe utility and then redeploy them from UMP its appears to correctly configure the default disk. On a large system this may prove a tedious and complicated process with a lot of templates.