Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  RA Nexus HA setup

Posted Aug 16, 2016 08:34 AM

We currently have both Active-Passive DMS pointing to a single remote RA Nexus repository server in nolio-repo.properties file.  We have 2 RA Nexus repository servers, however one of them is not used.

We are now planning to setup Nexus is HA configuration. 

Please suggest on how we can achieve this. Below listed is our understanding on way forward:

1. Both RA Nexus servers are in synch using Rsynch between them (Can you suggest the frequency on which the cron job performing the synch job should be setup to run)
    2. Load Balancer configured with RA Nexus repository servers in active-passive mode (Please let us know on probe url to be configured in LB to determine when the switchover should happen and at what frequency)
    3. Modify nolio-repo.properties file on both the DMSs to point to the Virtual IP which is configured in the LB.

• 2.  Re: RA Nexus HA setup

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 16, 2016 03:13 PM

Let me see if I have this right.

• You want to use a Nexus HA system, correct? But you are describing a Nexus Active/Passive implementation with rsync providing the necessary updates between the active Nexus server and the backup Nexus server.
    • You are using a load balancer to pass the virtual IP for the Nexus server, which could point to the active or passive Nexus server.

Now about updating the passive Nexus server via rsync, this will depending on availability requirements, I have seen it at 5 minutes (300 seconds) interval, but you have to determine what would be appropriate for you.

The same would apply in regards to the load balancer whenever you want to bring the passive Nexus server to an active status.

Please let me know, if this answers your questions.

Thanks

• 3.  Re: RA Nexus HA setup

Posted Aug 17, 2016 01:50 AM

Hi,

I believe that Nexus only supports Active-Passive implementation. Please correct me if I am wrong. Listed steps above was the approach we were planning to take to setup HA for RA Nexus component, but not sure if it is right approach. Also wanted to double check if DMS communication with Nexus VIP is valid and if Nexus can handle the active passive switchover at LoadBalancer, without any manual intervention. What would be the keepalive settings on the load balancer to ensure Nexus service availability on Active-Passive Nexus servers.

• 4.  Re: RA Nexus HA setup
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 18, 2016 11:34 AM

You are assumptions are correct in regards to setting up the Nexus software artifactory as an active/passive implementation. Now for the Nexus VIP, since this is being controlled by the load balancer, you can setup the VIP as your point of entry for the Nexus servers that make up this active/passive implementation.

Nexus can handle the switch over, you just have to determine what you would be the best time frame to update the passive Nexus server via rsync (this could be 300 seconds or the value that you would consider important).

I would strongly recommend that you test your Nexus active/passive implementation prior to making this system part of your RA installation. Please make sure that you can switch over the active Nexus server to the passive via the VIP that you will be setting up.

Please let me know the outcome of your setup.

Thanks

-Walter