Automic Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

Object running with old version parameters

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Object running with old version parameters

Posted 07-18-2019 11:01 AM
    Hi all,

We're having a problem with our RA FTP objects in V12.

Any changes we make to these objects are not considered during runtime. For instance if we change a connection object or FTP command, when the object runs it always uses the config from version 1 of the object, even tho the parameters were saved.

The only option we have when we want to change something is to completely delete the object and start again (very frustrating).

I'm raising a support ticket for the same but was curious to understand if anyone else has experienced similar problems with FTP jobs or a different type of object and what they did to resolve it?

Thanks,
    Chris

• 2.  RE: Object running with old version parameters

Posted 07-18-2019 12:25 PM
    We have issues too in V11.2.  (And I'm sad to hear that this is still an issue with V12)

We never change connection objects, but we have similar issues with changing our file paths and file names.  I'm pretty sure this issue is caused by the workflow holding on to the old settings and overriding the job at run-time, even though we don't seem to have access to those stale override values.  We have found that deleting the task from the workflow and re-adding it usually fixes this.

------------------------------
    Pete (AE V11.2)

• 3.  RE: Object running with old version parameters

Posted 30 days ago
    Our solution to this (several years ago and still using it today on v12) was to just have a handful of  generic FTP jobs.  We never change them.  So the connection object name and path/file info is passed in using a generic Prompt-set, from all work-flows using FTP-RA.  Before we started doing this, we ran into all kinds of issues like what you're seeing.  No issues since.  For work-flows which need special options (like don't abort upon failure), we'll create a work-flow-specific FTP job - but that's pretty rare.

• 4.  RE: Object running with old version parameters

Posted 30 days ago

Hi,

I never have any problem with RA FTP in v11, but we have a problem in v12.

When we change any parameter in the FTP Job, we have to delete the FTP job in the workflow and reinsert it again in the workflow, otherwise the changes are not taken in account. Or we can change the parameter in the FTP job AND in the FTP parameter task in the workflow. 

Administrateur Ordonnancement
    Stef-It

• 5.  RE: Object running with old version parameters

Posted 30 days ago
    ​Hi.

I have a theory (and just that, maybe it's totally up the wong tree, but it's the best I have).

But first:

DISCLAIMER:
    Editing values in the Automic DB is strongly discouraged, may lose your support status according to Automic, and also causes global warming.

I know certain objects and their values are cached inside the running processes. I think it's the worker processes. So if you can, try changing the value, then try restarting your workers (you can stagger them, one after another) and see if that makes the system picks up the new values. If not, try the same with other processes, like JWP (this might have an impact on your sessions, so be aware).

If this helps, you can look at the database, there is a numeric value that, when incremented, causes the processes to flush their cache for that object and re-read the current values from the database. I think that is tied to OH.OH_MODCNT. So you could then change the CONN object in question and see if it's corresponding OH_MODCNT gets incremented. You can find it via OH_NAME. If OH_MODCNT for that object doesn't increment when you make a change to the object in the UI, you could try (but this is where the disclaimer comes in) to increment that single OH_MODCNT by issuing an update statement, wait a few seconds and see if that change gets picked up by the engine.

If so, that would be a bug.

I suspect Pete's thing might have similar origins - re-adding the object possibly updates something that causes a cache flush which changing paths and file names alone doesn't.

Hth,

• 6.  RE: Object running with old version parameters

Posted 30 days ago
    For the RA_FTP jobs it is also stored in the properties of the object when it is in a Work Flow.  you need to right click on the object and go to properties.  select the FTP tab below and you would have to modify that also.  That is where the job reads from in a WF.  Then save the WF.

[Sr Software Engineer]
    [ICW Group]
    [CA]

• 7.  RE: Object running with old version parameters

Posted 27 days ago
    You could also remove the object from the workflow and re add it.    Its true with any RA agent.  

I haven't had to do this is a while though but if you touch any field in the overrides in the workflow, then bets are off.

You might try exporting the object and examining the xml to see if you see you legacy values.   Might try it with the flow its in as well.  It might narrow down where the issue is.

• 8.  RE: Object running with old version parameters
    Best Answer

Posted 27 days ago
    Thanks everyone for the replies. It makes it easier to manage now I understand what's causing it.

A few months back we were running on V9. Making a change to an FTP task would also update the properties of any workflow using the same FTP job.

This is not happening with V12, and instead the older cached properties are used from a previous version of the FTP job.

Logged with automic so hopefully this can be fixed to prevent anyone else falling in to the trap.

Thanks, Chris