Symantec Access Management

View Only
  • 1.  Copy Policy Server to a new machine

Posted Jul 27, 2016 02:41 PM

Hi,

I am upgrading from Siteminder 12.51 to 12.52.  On our test server, we uninstalled 12.51 and did a fresh install of 12.52.  (These all run as VMs and we use CA directory to store the policies)

Rather than doing the same process on the production server, would it be possible to just copy the VM.  Then load my production policy data into the CA Directory.

thanks

• 2.  Re: Copy Policy Server to a new machine
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 27, 2016 06:38 PM

Hi Chad,

There shouldn't be any issue copying  a VM image with PS installed to PROD. Once you have Policy Server installed, you just need to update the policy store settings -- refer it to the CA Directory instance with the PROD data.

• 3.  Re: Copy Policy Server to a new machine

Posted Aug 01, 2016 07:22 AM

Hi Sau Lai,

(Sorry if i mistakenly typed your name wrong. going from 3 year old memory at this point) Are you absolutely certain? i remember issues when the IP changed due to how the seeding of the encryptionkey.txt is done. has that been removed?

• 4.  Re: Copy Policy Server to a new machine

Posted Aug 01, 2016 07:39 AM

This depends on OS.

http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec559187.aspx

However, based on my understanding here we are talking about "moving" VM not "copying/cloning". If that is true, then most likely the mac address/ip wouldn't change anway. If we want to be absolutely sure I would recommend setting hostid by creating the /etc/hostid file.

• 5.  Re: Copy Policy Server to a new machine

Posted Aug 01, 2016 07:45 AM

Ujwol,

thank you for the clarification!