Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  Service/Policy lifecycle issues

Posted Aug 25, 2019 09:11 AM

Hi all,

I have a requirement to find out the general challenges faced when migrating/releasing services into gateways.

If you have 5 minutes to answer a few  quick questions I would be very grateful.

1. What size environment do you have? (How many clusters with how many nodes?)
    2. Do you use ESM, GMU, a bespoke or manual method, or one of the third party L7 solutions for migration?
    3. If it's a 3rd party solution, which one?
    4. Whichever one of the above you use… What is the biggest issue with it? (e.g. process speed, staff resources, reliability, lack of features?)
    5. What what features would you like to see in the solution or product you use.

Many thanks in advance

Vince Baker

Senior Architect
    Apiida AG
    www.apiida.com

• 2.  RE: Service/Policy lifecycle issues
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 26, 2019 02:44 AM
    1.What size environment do you have? (How many clusters with how many nodes?)=> 4 with a Cluster for production
    2.Do you use ESM, GMU, a bespoke or manual method, or one of the third party L7 solutions for migration?=> GMU but encapsulated with an Orchestrator
    3.If it's a 3rd party solution, which one?Jenkins + Gitlab (API-DEV => (extract with GMU and push it on Git repo), API-INT/QLF/PRD => Pull from Git to Gateway Database with GMU Import
    We will migrate the Jenkins script to Gitlab CI as soon as possible
    4.Whichever one of the above you use… What is the biggest issue with it? (e.g. process speed, staff resources, reliability, lack of features?)
    It's Easy to use this way for beginner and not need special experience on GMU or Layer 7
    But in case of error, it's no so easy to retrieve information with GMU. It's not a lack of Jenkins but more for GMU which is not explicit
    5.What what features would you like to see in the solution or product you use.
    A Migration tool integrated with current CI/CD (plugin, script, etc ...) which manage Properties/Policies with RBAC

• 3.  RE: Service/Policy lifecycle issues

Posted Aug 26, 2019 08:12 AM

Hi Yannick,

Excellent! Thanks for that input it's very helpful feedback to help drive our own migration product.

As I thought this morning, your requirements are quite common, but I wanted to confirm with my peers that we already have most of these requirements on our roadmap for GA release later this year. This is the response from our CDO.

"Hi Vince,

Most of it is on the roadmap for our Autumn '19 release. We're working on some integration with CI/CD [command line utility that calls AAGM's API] with role based access control.
    We can output some dedicated information (more detailed than is currently contained in the logs) to the console, that way it will end up the CI/CD's build log."

Please Google "Apiida AAGM" if you are unfamiliar with our product.
    We are very keen to hear further requirements as we like to plug as many of these into our roadmap as possible.

If you need more info then please feel free to private message me.

Many thanks again

Vince Baker

------------------------------
    Senior Architect
    Apiida AG
    www.apiida.com
    ------------------------------