CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  how to skip a Task in the parallel Workflow

Posted Jul 02, 2019 04:15 AM
    Edited by Muhtashim Abdul Jabbar Jul 02, 2019 07:34 AM

Hello,

I'am using a Classic workflow in a parallel form and i want to skip a task. In my environment there are 3 task (task 1, task 2 and task 3) in a group and everyone gets the notification at the same time.My requirement is that I want to skip task 2 . when task 1 gets the notification he will decide that either the notification should go to task 2 or it will skip and move to task 3.

Can anyone help in this case??

#casdm17.1 #workflowapproval #changeorderworkflow #WorkflowDependencies #WorkflowPreconditions
    #casdmworkflowtasks 

Thanks,
    Muhtashim.

------------------------------

• 2.  RE: how to skip a Task in the parallel Workflow

Posted Jul 02, 2019 12:38 PM
    Obviously, to accomplish what you want, the three tasks can no longer be parallel.

I would design this so that the first task had included a special "complete" status that had a behavior and action that set an attribute in the ticket to a value to indicate that the second task is needed/not needed. Then in the second task the Pending status would have a condition to query the same attribute on the ticket and an action to set the task status to Skip.

Lindsay Estabrooks
    Principal Consultant
    IT-EDU Consultants

• 3.  RE: how to skip a Task in the parallel Workflow

Posted Jul 03, 2019 03:45 AM

thanks @Lindsay Estabrooks for the​ great idea. 

I'am thinking a macro something like this in my change workflow .Need your help as well.

1. if task "SYST" (wf.status = "APP")
    2. set task "UATM" (wf.status = "PEND")
    3. else
    4. set task "UATM" (wf.status = "SKIP")

here,
    "SYST" is a task code.
    "UATM" is a second task code

• 4.  RE: how to skip a Task in the parallel Workflow

Posted Jul 03, 2019 10:12 AM
    It is not so simple to reference the attributes of another object instance when there is no direct relationship. In this case the only common attribute of the two workflow task instances is that they reference the same ticket object (so the two workflow tasks are indirectly related).

If you want to accomplish this using your approach instead of mine you will need some additional SPEL coding (using the send-wait function and the sync_fetch method) to retrieve the value from the other workflow task. The following thread might give you some ideas:
    https://community.broadcom.com/enterprisesoftware/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=613fd6dd-a793-4f71-9827-41b8357f034b&CommunityKey=e2cd3188-49bc-4f38-88f1-74260f56fa66&tab=digestviewer#bm613fd6dd-a793-4f71-9827-41b8357f034b

Lindsay Estabrooks
    Principal Consultant
    IT-EDU Consultants

• 5.  RE: how to skip a Task in the parallel Workflow

Posted Jul 04, 2019 08:38 AM

@Lindsay Estabrooks

Please can you tell me the action macro using your idea.​

• 6.  RE: how to skip a Task in the parallel Workflow

Posted Jul 04, 2019 08:40 AM

@Lindsay Estabrooks

Can you tell me the Action macro according to your idea.

Need your help.

• 7.  RE: how to skip a Task in the parallel Workflow
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 08, 2019 11:31 AM
    Following the approach that I suggested, you would need 3 macros. First you need to identify an unused OOTB (out-of-the-box) attribute in the ticket object to use or add a custom attribute to the ticket object using the schema designer. Then you need 3 macros for the workflow object:
    1. An Action macro that modifies the value of the identified (or custom) attribute on the ticket object. You would attach this to the 'APP' behavior of the 'SYST' task.
    2. A Site-defined Condition macro that tests the identified attribute on the ticket. You will use this in the 'PEND' behavior of the 'UATM' task.
    3. An Action macro that sets the status of the task to 'SKIP'. You will also use this in the 'PEND' behavior of the 'UATM' task.

Lindsay Estabrooks
    Principal Consultant
    IT-EDU Consultants

• 8.  RE: how to skip a Task in the parallel Workflow

Posted Jul 10, 2019 09:15 AM

hi @Lindsay Estabrooks

please can any one assist me . how do i use below macro in change management wf.

macro::upd_val("cr_wf", format("cr = '%s' AND sequence IN (20, 30)", cr.persistent_id), // search over other tasks in the same parent request with seq 20, 30 1, 0, // delays "status", "SKIP" // new status );

thanks,
    Muhtashim