Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Template limitations

Posted Sep 20, 2019 03:06 PM

I love the functionality of the template, however this is a huge limitation that make this feature almost useless.
    The template will only create children 1 level deep.  For example    If my template is created from a feature->story->tasks
    The template will only create a feature->story  no tasks are created. 

Likewise if I do this at the Initiative level and have an Initiative->Feature->Story->Task.     
    This will only populate a new Initiative->Feature;  No stories or tasks will be created.    

Unless I am missing something this limits the use of the template functionality and must rely on custom code to do a "Deep Copy" which is not always reliable.   Can we get this fixed? Or is there something I am missing to make this functionality available?

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Template limitations
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 20, 2019 05:30 PM
    Hey Burt. Have you tried using the Portfolio Item Copy app.

Also, this app was created a few years back, but I think it might give you the most flexibility to copy whichever level you need.
    https://github.com/RallyTechServices/custom-list-with-deep-copy/blob/master/README.md

------------------------------
    Managing Director Expert Agile Services
    Rego Consulting
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Template limitations

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 26, 2019 11:51 PM
    Hi Burt,

Check out the Work Item Template documentation. The template is meant to create the work item and will allow direct children, but it isn't intended to make a deep copy. See where it mentions: "Child Tasks in a Template" and "Child Stories in a Template" in that page.

Rob is correct, you shall use the Custom List with Deep Copy for that.

Sagi

• 4.  RE: Template limitations

Posted Aug 16, 2022 05:37 PM
    Hi Burt,

I agree, in this case, the best path forward is to utilize the "Portfolio Item Copy" which will do exactly what you need and is a great option.  This can be added from within your "dashboard" view within Rally.