DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Changing connection status of link according to received traps

Posted May 01, 2018 01:36 PM

Hi everyone,

I am implementing a DMVPN network and one issue with this is that GRE keepalives aren't supported on point to multipoint GRE tunnels. The routers being used are new Ciscos, and the routing protocol is EIGRP.

However I would like to be able to show a connection that is unreachable within Oneclick. When a connection between one router to another goes down, this can be seen on the router in a number of ways: an NHRP peer goes down, EIGRP adjacency goes down, etc.

When NHRP MIB is enabled on the Cisco routers, and the nhrp traps are enabled, it doesn't seem like any NHRP event is captured in Spectrum for the routers. EIGRP does seem to be recognized, even though as an unknown event, but only for losing an adjacency and not establishing one.

Any ideas how to make this visually obvious for Oneclick staff? Ideally when two routers in the DMVPN are no longer connected, their link should turn red, and when they are connected it should turn green.

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Changing connection status of link according to received traps

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 01, 2018 01:46 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Liliah,

If there’s a trap being sent, you may just need to map the trap in mibtools.  If it’s already mapped, make sure it generates an event and alarm.  If you don’t have the mib, you can manually create the mappings in the /custom/Events/AlertMap and EventDisp files.

Cheers

Jay

• 3.  Re: Changing connection status of link according to received traps

Posted May 01, 2018 01:51 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Would mapping a trap to a 3rd party MIB allow me to change the connection color between the routers for certain events/alarms? If so, mind explaining how?

• 4.  Re: Changing connection status of link according to received traps

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 01, 2018 01:57 PM
      |   view attached

Not that I’m aware of.   Spectrum would need to fully support the DMVPN implementation for that as the traps would have to affect the attributes that control portlinkstatus.

Cheers

Jay

• 5.  Re: Changing connection status of link according to received traps

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 01, 2018 03:01 PM

I'm probably going to raise more questions with this answer but you potentially could through the use of event procedures ( How to Use Procedures in Event Processing - CA Spectrum - 10.2 to 10.2.3 - CA Technologies Documentation  ).  The rough process, with lots of hand waving at details:

- Receive trap

- Use GetModelsByAttrValue/IsPortOf and CreateEventWithVariables on appropriate port model

- Use WriteAttribute to set Link_Status attribute to desired value

Very oversimplified and there was no consideration to the fact that Spectrum may change the Link_Status back based on polling physical link status.

• 6.  Re: Changing connection status of link according to received traps

Posted May 02, 2018 08:54 AM

I see. Is there a best practice for connecting point to multipoint tunnels within Oneclick? Perhaps a specific model type to connect all the tunnels to? 

I've tried connecting the tunnel interface to more than one destination interface, it just moves the connection to the new interface.

• 7.  Re: Changing connection status of link according to received traps

Posted May 02, 2018 09:29 AM

You should try setting up a connection with a dummy model of type SharedMediaLink. You can have multiple tunnels from different devices connecting to only one SharedMediaLink model.