Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

• 1.  DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 10, 2021 05:45 PM
    Edited by Pete Wirfs May 10, 2021 06:34 PM

I've been given the opportunity to rename our AD security groups related to this product, but am struggling with what to call them.  Our legacy groups have "UC4" in their names, but I'm not sure this litteral should be used going forward. What do you call your AD security groups?

And what do you call this product in general?  

1) UC4
    2) AE (Automation Engine)
    3) AWA (Automic Workload Automation)
    4) Something else?
    5) Some combination or minor derivations for different use-cases?

It seems to me that "AE" refers specifically to the scheduling engine, where "AWA" is referring to the broader collection of tools that this platform supports.  In this context, I'm thinking I should choose to use "AWA" in my AD group names.  But no one here ever calls it that, and I fear the vendor could change this name down the road?

(I believe I've seen similar discussions in these forums before, but am having a difficult time locating it.)

------------------------------
    Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 2.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 11, 2021 02:00 AM
    Edited by Toni Waechter May 11, 2021 02:01 AM
    Hi Pete,

we use UC4 as main part of any kind of names. It´s easier to use this known name as to change it every few years to follow Automic/CA/Broadcom marketing.

And it´s short and easy to remember.

Best regards,
    Toni

Administrator and Developer Jobautomation
    BNP Paribas S.A. Niederlassung Deutschland

• 3.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 11, 2021 02:19 AM
    Good Morning,

similar in our company, UC4 was and is the name for the whole product with all kinds of sub-tools.
    (AE is used as well for the AE itself from technical staff)

So all components, security items, databases, users etc. have at least UC4 in its names and its well known within our company.
    It would cause much misunderstandings, troubles, .. to rename it every 2 years ;-)

Last week a colleague asked someone if he knows something about AWA. No, never heared about it.
    I am talking about UC4!
    Ahhh you mean UC4 - yes we use it......

;-)

cheers, Wolfgang

Support Info:
    if you are using one of the latest version of UC4 / AWA / One Automation please get in contact with Support to open a ticket.
    Otherwise update/upgrade your system and check if the problem still exists.

• 4.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 11, 2021 04:45 AM

Good Morning,

we are calling it UC4, the Name is to old to Chance :-)

All call it UC4 - AE is for our application development in German.

• 5.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 11, 2021 05:45 AM
    Hi,

It's the same here, the pattern "UC4" is everywhere include, for example:
    *) technical UC4 Users
    *) any Groups related to UC4
    *) UC4 DB Schema
    *) Mailbox used for UC4
    *) …
    *) … and peers and customers call it "UC4"

Best, Josef

• 6.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 11, 2021 10:40 AM
    UC4 -- Forever!  ;-)

• 7.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 11, 2021 10:47 AM
    UC4.

For fun someone should create an Ideation item to rename the product back to UC4, I suspect it will be the most upvoted idea ever ;)

• 8.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 11, 2021 01:27 PM

Hi Pete

I recommend to use neutral names.

No one knows what a supplier plans to do with a product (selling, renaming, ...).

Best practice should be using the function or an abbreviation of it (like "SCHEDULER" or "SCHED") in your group names.

If you need to split the groups in smaller sections, you could use "SCHEDULERENGINE" and "SCHEDULERGUI" or "SCHEDENG" and "SCHEDUI" and so on.

We made good experiences with these kind of use, when names or vendors change.

Kind regards

Peter Gross

Senior System Engineer IT

Raiffeisen Schweiz

Genossenschaft

Raiffeisenplatz

9001 St. Gallen

Telefon +41 (0)71 424 1660

www.raiffeisen.ch

peter.gross@raiffeisen.ch

This e-mail may contain confidential material. It is intended only for the person or entity which it is addressed to. In case you should not be supposed to get this e-mail we ask you to delete it without taking notice of its content. Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and do not necessarily coincide with those of The Swiss Raiffeisen Group. Therefore this e-mail does not represent a binding agreement nor an offer to deal. E-Mail transmission can be insecure and can contain errors. Information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, incomplete or may contain viruses. Neither The Swiss Raiffeisen Group nor the sender can accept any liability for any kind of damage as the result of viruses or transmission errors.

• 9.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 11, 2021 02:05 PM
    We were late adopters of Automic (2015), so we weren't impacted by earlier names, but we noticed the product changed its name so many times that we wanted to have a "nickname" for it instead. Just like @Peter Gross mentioned, we stuck to something generic: "AUTO" for "automation". I think AUTO does more justice than SCHED and it is one letter shorter too :)

Cheers,
    Leonard

• 10.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 12, 2021 02:02 AM
    Regarding "Scheduler",

that does only work if you have only one scheduler in your company ;-)

cheers, Wolfgang

Support Info:
    if you are using one of the latest version of UC4 / AWA / One Automation please get in contact with Support to open a ticket.
    Otherwise update/upgrade your system and check if the problem still exists.

• 11.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 12, 2021 01:21 AM
    Good morning,

In our company it is still over all the years "UC4", as others said before: With this name, nearly everybody in our company knows wich product is meant.
    side note: also the nickname "Uschi" (a german female name) is used from the main users ;)

best regard,
    Katrin

Production Planer
    Centris AG

• 12.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 12, 2021 10:31 AM
    In our company, it's mostly known as One Automation or sometimes even OA. 
    I have been trying to get them to call it Automic or at least AWA 
    It is difficult to get folks to change what they have called it for years.

• 13.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 12, 2021 12:17 PM
    Edited by Pete Wirfs May 12, 2021 12:18 PM

I had the opportunity to discuss this with some Automic staff and they seem to be using "Automic Automation" now;

https://www.broadcom.com/products/software/automation/automic-automation#:~:text=Automic%20Automation%20gives%20you%20the,the%20growth%20of%20your%20company.

A technician confirmed though that they are unlikely to rename any of the core software components, because doing so would disturb the products backward compatibility.

Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 14.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 14, 2021 12:52 AM
    Hi Pete,

most of the customers are calling the product "UC4", only a few "Automic".

Not only for folders but also for the Windows service user to run ServiceManager, Agents, etc. "uc4", "uc4batch" and "svc_uc4" is still in use.

BTW: even Broadcom uses the name "UC4" for the ServiceManager and entries in uc4.smd/.smc

regards,
    Peter

Capture Europe

• 15.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 17, 2021 11:04 AM
    UC4 or Automic interchangeably.

Architect, Systems Administration
    Treehouse Foods

• 16.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 17, 2021 10:05 AM
    Hi Pete,

I would stick to the names alreday in place. Most of our customers still call it "UC4". AWA and AA seem to be too near to some marketing stuff. So likely to change. :-) In your place I would only invent new names if you plan to introduce other automation products.
    I am just in the rollout phase of a big change in the rights management for Automic in a bank. But since this is one of the "UC4"-customers, we used it as part of the AD group names for the LDAP sync. Everyone knows "UC4" and it is nicely short.

Regards,
    Juergen

Juergen Lechner
    Senior Consultant
    setis GmbH
    Germany

• 17.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 18, 2021 09:45 AM
    Before Automic, FSU was using AppWorx, which is UC4.  Automic was the next iteration and still retains UC4 in documentation and the rest of its ecosystem.  That being said, we refer to the product as Automic as that is the name that appears when we were on the client.  My complimentary t-shirt from the 2016 US conference in Orlando says Automic 2016.  That was 2 years before they were bought by Computer Associates.

With all this being said, I would say, think long term in the naming convention.  For us, it would have been a more generic term that could be applied if the name changes again, or, if FSU decides to use a different product.

For me and my team, there are quite a number of objects named for vendors that we no longer do business with, yet the name remains the same as it is far more painful to change than to keep.  So we get "why is it named that" from time to time and have to explain.  So take that into consideration.

Cheers,

Gary Chismar
    Manager, Automic, PeopleSoft HCM/FI
    Florida State University
    Florida

• 18.  RE: DISCUSSION: What does your staff call this product?

Posted May 18, 2021 05:45 AM

We at COCC running our batch for Fiserv[Open Solutions] nightly batch for about 150+ banks and credit unions call this what we have since 2006, Appworx.

Software Engineer 2
    COCC [Connecticut Online Computer Center]
    Connecticut, USA