Test Data Manager

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

• 1.  Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Jan 14, 2020 08:21 AM

Hi, 

We're facing some issues with a masking job. The job is completed successfully but data is not being masked in Data Base.

We made sure DBUPDATES option is "Y".

The SQLFUNCTION we're using is working fine when we update the same DB using SqlServer Management Studio.
    Same credentials are being used to launch the FDM marking job and updating through with SqlServer Management Studio.

Could you please help on this?
    Thanks in advanced, 
    Jessica.

• 2.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 14, 2020 09:12 AM
    Hi,

Do you have some more details on the issue you are seeing? 

What version of FDM are you using?
       Can you share the masking rules you are using?
       Can you share the FDM logs?

------------------------------
    Regards

Keith Puzey
    Client Services Consultant | Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Jan 15, 2020 08:33 AM

Hello Keith,

We're using FDM 4.7.3229.0 version.

In order to simplify the research, I've executed same job again applying the FIXED clause instead of our own masking rules.
    Added also a WHERE clause to only update one record.

I'm getting the same result. Job is complete without errors but DB is not updated.

Please see attached log for more detail.

Any other suggested test will be welcomed.

Thanks again and regards,

Jessica.

• 4.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Jan 15, 2020 08:39 AM
      |   view attached

Hello Keith,

We're using FDM 4.7.3229.0 version.

In order to simplify the research, I've executed same job again applying the FIXED clause instead of our own masking rules.
    Added also a WHERE clause to only update one record.

I'm getting the same result. Job is complete without errors but DB is not updated.

Please see attached log for more detail.

Any other suggested test will be welcomed.

Thanks again and regards,

Jessica.

Attachment(s)

txt
    MASK_GMPH_DESA_log.txt   3 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Jan 16, 2020 01:25 AM
    Hi Jessica,

That is strange indeed. Is TB15_IDDOCUMENTO a unique column? If so, indicate this in the masking rule as Unique Column. That would help FDM to register the progress.

Best regards,
    Klaas-Jan

• 6.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 16, 2020 02:45 AM
    Jessica what is the data type of the column you are trying to mask?

• 7.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Jan 16, 2020 04:06 AM
    Hi Billy, 

The column i'm trying to mask is declared as (nvarchar(max), null). 
    Moreover, same result is happening while masking other columns and tables on the same DB. 
    Maybe it's something related to the DB definition but no clue about what could be happening because we masked other databases on the same server successfully. 

Thank you for your help!
    Jessica.

• 8.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 16, 2020 04:40 AM
    Strange as it might sound, it might be the data type.  Would it be possible to change it to varchar instead of nvarchar and try it again.

• 9.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Jan 16, 2020 06:32 AM
    Unfortunately, i can't change the column data type but we made a test just copying one of the tables to be masked to another DB on the same server and  masking worked perfectly. Nvarchar columns were also masked.

• 10.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 16, 2020 06:42 AM
    OK 
    Thanks for doing the test.  I would suggest creating a support ticket so that we can dig into the detail of the table that is not being masked correctly.

• 11.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Jan 17, 2020 04:07 AM
    We will do so. 
    Thanks for your help @Billy Keefer!​

Regards, 
    Jessica.

• 12.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Jan 16, 2020 03:56 AM
    Hi Klaas-Jan, 

I've tried to set TB15_IDDOCUMENTO as "unique column" in the masking rule. Same result. No errors but no updated in DB. 
    Please, see attached .csv and .log in case you find something wrong. 

Thanks for your help. 
    Jessica.

Attachment(s)

txt
    MASK_GMPH_DESAlog.txt   3 KB 1 version
    csv
    MASK_GMPH_DESA.csv   422 B 1 version

• 13.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Jan 16, 2020 07:25 AM
    Hi Jessica,

In the logfile I see that you have only set the LOGDIR and did not set the LOGFILENAME.
    You could try to add the COMMIT=1000 and DBUPDATES=Y options. Although the default should be fine, it might help.

Best regards,
    Klaas-Jan

• 14.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Jan 17, 2020 04:05 AM
      |   view attached
    Hi Klaas-Jan, 

I've made the test suggested. Getting the same result. See log attached please. 
    I've tried a second round setting the commit to 1 since the table has only 70 rows. It didn't work either. 

Thanks again for your help @Klaas-Jan Lute!
    Regards, 
    Jessica.

Attachment(s)

txt
    log.txt   3 KB 1 version

• 15.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Jan 17, 2020 04:36 AM
    Hi Jessica,

I see that you got the filename wrong. Don't know if this is of any influence but maybe it confuses the system.

DBUPDATES=Y
    LOGDIR=D:\MASKING\GMPH\DESA\PRUEBA3
    LOGFILENAME=D:\MASKING\GMPH\DESA\PRUEBA3\log

The logfile name should be something like:
    LOGFILENAME=log.txt

Best regards,
    Klaas-Jan Lute

• 16.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2020 04:40 AM
    Please use the latest FDM version as the current version 4.7.xxx.0 will not wor k against nvarchar type

Regsrds, Dahman

• 17.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Feb 14, 2020 07:57 AM
    Hi, 

We've managed to replicate the problem:

1. TABLE1. Only one row. FIELD1(PK,bigint, not null), FIELD2 (nvarchar(max), null)
    2. TABLE2. Same row as above. FIELD1(PK,bigint, not null), FIELD2 (varchar(max), null). 
    3. TABLE3. Same row as above. FIELD1(bigint, not null), FIELD2 (nvarchar(max), null)

FDM is not masking TABLE1. Other two tables are being masked. Not getting errors in log file. Job is completed succesfully.

Test made using FDM 4.8 version. 

It looks like FDM is not masking nvarchar fields if table has a primary key.

I guess we need to open an issue anyway but just to share some more info about the problem in case it has a quick solution condering it's easy to reproduce. 

Regards, 
    Jessica.

• 18.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 14, 2020 09:24 AM
    Jessica could you please provide the full FDM release.  4.8.???

thanks

• 19.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Feb 17, 2020 04:27 AM
    ​Hi @Billy Keefer,
    We're using 4.8.1 version.

Thanks again for your help.
    Regards,
    Jessica.​

• 20.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 17, 2020 06:15 AM
    Apologies Jessica but is this the version that shows up at the top of the FDM gui?

• 21.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Feb 17, 2020 08:03 AM
    ​Hi @Billy Keefer,

Not sure about if it's latest FDM patch. This is the version we're currently running:

4.8.100.10[S14]4.8.0.6​

• 22.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 17, 2020 08:16 AM
    That particular level is not the latest.  I think the best way forward is to create a support issue, briefly state the problem and say that you need the latest patch for FDM.  Support should take it from there.   Stick with us and we will get you sorted.  :-)
    Billy

• 23.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 17, 2020 07:01 AM
    Please make sure that you test with the latest FDM patch 

Regards, Dahman

• 24.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Feb 26, 2020 05:39 AM
    ​Hi,

Tested with new 4.9 version and NVARCHAR is successfully masked now!
    Same options, same Database. Just needed to change the original .csv because 4.9 has additional parms.

Thanks all for your help.
    Jessica.

• 25.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Jan 28, 2020 08:49 AM
    Hi @Klaas-Jan Lute

Sorry for the late reply.  
    I've tried with suggested OPTIONS but it's still not working. 
    See please "log.txt" attached. 

Regarding the nvarchar type column @Abderrahmane Zahrir, i made a test again. I've copied the same table to another DB on the same server. 
    Nvarchar column was succesfuly masked so it looks like it's something related to the database instead of the datatype. 
    Log also attached as "log_2.txt".

Thank you both for your help. 
    Jessica.

​​

Attachment(s)

txt
    log_2.txt   3 KB 1 version
    txt
    log.txt   3 KB 1 version

• 26.  RE: Masking job successfully completed but data is not being masked in DB.

Posted Jan 29, 2020 01:58 AM
    Hi Jessica,

Unfortunately I can not find anything else in the logfile that would cause your problem. This maybe stupid to suggest but are you sure that you are looking at the right database in SQL Server Management Studio?
    Note that the LOGFILENAME value is still not correct. Only the name of the file should be given.

Best regards,
    Klaas-Jan