Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to exclude demand of non-project resources on the Capacity Overview screen?

• 1.  How to exclude demand of non-project resources on the Capacity Overview screen?

Posted Oct 31, 2015 05:03 PM

We recently added our entire ITS staff to Clarity for time reporting. Most project resources are assigned roles, which we are making less specific (today they are team based). We are looking to move to a more generic role, and leverage the staff OBS to drive demand to the correct part of the organization. The functionality of the Capacity Overview screen fits our requirements for having one place to view capacity and demand on the team with the one exception that we are unable to exclude the capacity of the non-project resources. If we filter on the roles, we can then see the capacity of the project resources, however we lose visibility to the demand on the generic roles. Has anyone else solved this riddle?

Thanks

Kim

• 2.  Re: How to exclude demand of non-project resources on the Capacity Overview screen?

Posted Nov 10, 2015 12:16 PM

Can you post a screenshot (would help) ?

NJ

• 3.  Re: How to exclude demand of non-project resources on the Capacity Overview screen?

Posted Nov 10, 2015 02:34 PM

Hi Kim. Can you clarify your "Non-Project Resources"?

- Are you saying you have dedicated project and dedicated 'non-project' resources (Admin Staff, Operations)? A binary state?

- Or do you run a blended model where resources will split time between projects and operations?

We run blended, but either way this approach may be close enough.

If you have a 'class' of Resources that aren't expected to be available for Project work - assign them a Primary Role that allows you to filter them out. In our organization IT Leadership and Admin staff have a Primary Role of 'IT Administration'. They do work on projects and are engaged in meetings, etc they're not the critical path 'worker bee' roles we're looking to schedule when we review Demand and ask 'what new work can we take on?'. While this isn't totally perfect, until we get to model Roles on Resources - it's the best we can do today. I believe Product Management is making their rounds reviewing customer Resource Management requirements. Making this activity easier I've been told has been heard loud and clear.

We...

1) Assign Primary Role of 'IT Administration' to the staff you don't expect to pick up much project work.

2) Add Primary Role to the filter, set it for Multi Select (power filter doesn't work for us on this portlet. A simple Power Filter would make this easier).

I can say "Show me all Resource Capacity, Non Project Commitment (Operations) and Remaining Project Availability for my Organization".

one.jpg

We're a small-ish Enterprise IT shop. 368 FTEs, 265 FTEs committed to non-project work, 104 FTE Project Availability.

Now I can add all Primary Roles, then remove the 'IT Administrative' Role - which gives me our version of your 'exclude the capacity of the non-project resources" use case.

two.jpg

Notice that excluding all Resources where Primary Role = 'IT Administrative' shaved 20 FTEs off  of Capacity but only 4 FTEs of Project Availability (like I mentioned, those Resources do keep a sliver of Project Availability - looks like cumulatively 20%).

HTH.