Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Is there any way to move department from one entity to another?

Posted Nov 22, 2009 03:45 PM
    Hi All,      I need some  help regarding Entities, is there any way to change/move existing department from one entity to another in clarity R12 Base version.  I have tried several options, tried to create a new entity and location and xogged in existing department with new entity and location name but xog error says “Changing of a department's entity is disallowedâ€? …      Is there any way you can suggest (The only solution I can see here is to update department from database)?      Dose anyone encountred similar problem before?      Please help.      Regards,  Sonal

• 2.  Re: Is there any way to move department from one entity to another?

Posted Nov 24, 2009 07:38 AM
    Hi All,  Any input here for Sonal?   If not Sonal may want to log an issue with Support to see if they have a quick answer.  Thanks,Chris

• 3.  Re: Is there any way to move department from one entity to another?

Posted Nov 24, 2009 10:39 AM
    Sonal:   Unfortunately I don't think you can "safely" move a department across entities.   You may want to ask Support for verification, but I know with r12 and the major design work that was done on the FOS (financial organizational structure), it is somewhat inflexible so that it keeps financials in-check.   You can move departments around within a given Entity, but not across.    I would advise against changing the Entity directly in the database, because honestly there are sooooooo many tables, views, stored procs etc. that have Entity and departments tied together that you are probably guaranteed to break something along the line.   :)   We have the Investment Financials ad-hoc Business Objects universe and as I was digging around in it trying to figure out where something was coming from, I got a first hand look at the ENORMOUS complexity of these financial tables and their linkages to other tables.  So I would drop a note to Support and see what they recommend as to next steps!!   :-)

• 4.  RE: Re: Is there any way to move department from one entity to another?

Posted Oct 10, 2010 06:36 AM
    Hi,

we have just rolled out our upgrade v12 SP 6 and just before rollout we found that 1 key issue is not handled that is Entity.we have multiple entity in
    clarity v7.5.2 (Really don't know why so many entity as it was created in Niku 6.1.4) and the plan is to point all the location to 1 entity and delete all other entity in 7.5.2 itself but unfortunately it is missed by us.(It is done in Test,dev,Uat) .Then come the Final movement after v12 upgrade we have
    35 entity and the key is we can't change the Department from 1 entity to other.An knife is hanging against my head, i know the only way is to handle via dB as we can't roll back the upgrade as very less time is left out and then i found all the tables which is using Entity and then prepared the DML statements (Hectic 2 Days) and then the next day i got the help of CA to get the approval of the scripts and then proceeded (But CA not provided the approval via Email but they said it is ok.I showed them via Live Meeting) and finally relieved that it worked(?).Now it is been 3 weeks it is fine.:grin:

cheers,
    sundar