Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  After upgrade CA SOI 4.2 (old v. 3.3) SNMP policy extention (now with ca catalyst) no longer creates the correct IC comes as "unknown"

Posted Apr 19, 2018 10:39 AM
      |   view attached

I installed new environment  CA SOI 4.2  (old v. 3.3), but the SNMP connector with ca Catalyst after upgrade to 4.2 does not generate IC correctly (unknown). I saw the architecture is different, I followed the documentation and nothing. The extension does not work correctly with catalyst. 

I have 2 extensions:
    - 1 (one) policy works with version snmp connector 4.2 without CA catalyst (when I install CA Catalyst it does not correctly generate the "unknown" IC).
    - The other policy only works when set to the default policy (snmp_policy.xml) in CA catalyst., Without the CA catalyst no longer working correctly becomes "unknown."

I made several tests and nothing to change the information in the console of events, always "unknown".

I need to work both extensions on a single SNMP server Connector.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

• 2.  Re: After upgrade CA SOI 4.2 (old v. 3.3) SNMP policy extention (now with ca catalyst) no longer creates the correct IC comes as "unknown"
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 20, 2018 03:11 AM

Hi Elen,

can you please share some more details about the upgrade:

- Did you move from the IFW version of the SNMP Connector to the Catalyst version?  If yes, why?

- Which Catalyst version do you use?

The policies for the IFW and the Catalyst versions of the SNMP Connector are not identical.  The behavior is slightly different.  This is due to the fact that the two versions are using different versions of the Global Policy.

And, the SNMP Connector is not compatible with Catalyst 3.4.2.  You must use the 3.4.1 version.

MichaelBoehm

• 3.  Re: After upgrade CA SOI 4.2 (old v. 3.3) SNMP policy extention (now with ca catalyst) no longer creates the correct IC comes as "unknown"

Posted Apr 20, 2018 07:38 AM

Hello MichaelBoehm,

The our customer requested the upgrade to the latest version of CA SOI (4.2).

version actual is :

- CA Catalyst 3.4.2

- SNMP COnnector 4.2

- CA SOI 4.2

1 years ago was developed a political SNMP(cacti) for this customer, which is designed to be used in the SNMP connector 4.2 and CATALYST 3.4.2 versions, but the our customer put the same policy with IFW CA SOI 3.3 SNMP connector 2.0 and it worked very well.

After uprade that same policy it only works on catalyst 3.4.2 and it sets as default policy SNMP  and no longer as an extension

I noticed that the versions are not identical :-) , I would like to know what has changed.

By matrix  compatibility informs that it is compatible, and this was the only test I did not perform, I will put the SNMP connector with Catalyst 3.4.1

Thanks for the tips, then return with the result!

• 4.  Re: After upgrade CA SOI 4.2 (old v. 3.3) SNMP policy extention (now with ca catalyst) no longer creates the correct IC comes as "unknown"

Posted Apr 20, 2018 03:28 PM

Hello MichaelBoehm!

It solved !!!

I did version downgrade ca catalyst  3.4.2 to 3.4.1 and the two policies worked as extensions and generated alerts and create the IC's correctly.

alert after downgrade catalyst to 3.4.1

Tks for your help!

• 5.  Re: After upgrade CA SOI 4.2 (old v. 3.3) SNMP policy extention (now with ca catalyst) no longer creates the correct IC comes as "unknown"

Posted May 01, 2018 03:16 PM

Hi Elen, so glad Michael helped you get this working.  Would you mind to mark his answer as correct, that would be appreciated - others may benefit in doing this. Thank you!

• 6.  Re: After upgrade CA SOI 4.2 (old v. 3.3) SNMP policy extention (now with ca catalyst) no longer creates the correct IC comes as "unknown"

Posted Apr 23, 2018 03:18 AM

Hi Elen,

I am glad to hear that it worked.

To comment on your previous post:

The Connector Compatibility Matrix only shows Catalyst 3.4.1 for the SNMP Connector: CA SOI Connectors Compatibility Matrix - CA Service Operations Insight Connectors - CA Technologies Documentation 

There were some changes in Catalyst 3.4.2 mainly related to the decoupling of the MQ Server to run as separate service.  Per my investigations, also a change in the global policy was performed, but I don't have further details on that.

The concept of running policies as extensions is identical for the IFW and the Catalyst versions, but you have to be aware that there is a special subfolder you have to make use of in the Catalyst version (depending on the version of Connector you install, that directory does not exist originally and has to be created manually).

MichaelBoehm