DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Monitor NT Service only if exists

• 1.  Monitor NT Service only if exists

Posted Jul 18, 2019 04:16 PM
    Is there a way with ntservices probe to set a profile up to only monitor and alert if the service defined in the profile is present/exists and if not do not alert on it?

• 2.  RE: Monitor NT Service only if exists

Posted Jul 18, 2019 04:59 PM
    Don't understand this use case.
    It seems a profile is created from the list of services at the system.
    So is this for a case where a service is uninstalled, and the desire is for monitoring to stop after it is removed?
    Not sure what will happen in such a case.

------------------------------
    Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: Monitor NT Service only if exists

Posted Jul 19, 2019 08:30 AM
    So the use case is to create a package to monitor a service, be able to deploy that to a group of servers but if the service is not on the system do not monitor or raise alert.
    Other monitoring tools have this functionality to only monitor and raise alerts when the service/process/etc. exists but I do not see that as an option in the UIM probes.

• 4.  RE: Monitor NT Service only if exists

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 19, 2019 08:49 AM
    Hi Dane,

See Chris Duryea's reply below.  Using App Discovery to look for the service, to put the Server into a group that has the policy to monitor that service is the only way to do it.

Customer Success Architect
    Broadcom

• 5.  RE: Monitor NT Service only if exists
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 19, 2019 12:38 AM
    Hi 

Below options are available in case you want to Automatically add new services / Monitor new services

==========
    Automatically add new services: enables the probe to automatically detect any new service installed on Windows and
    create its profile. If you disable this option, you have to refresh the services list under Services tab to detect any new services.

Default: Selected

=======
    Monitor new services: allows you to monitor the newly added services.

Note: If you select this option, a New Services tab is added. For more information, see the New Services section.

=========
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/ga/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/ntservices-microsoft-windows-nt-services-monitoring/ntservices-im-configuration

• 6.  RE: Monitor NT Service only if exists

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 19, 2019 08:29 AM
    Hi Dane,

No, we have no way of doing that within the probe itself.

Now you could do it with Logmon via a command.  Windows has a "sc" command that you can run and parse the result set and alarm if the Service is found.

Hope this helps!
    -Jay

Customer Success Architect
    Broadcom

• 7.  RE: Monitor NT Service only if exists

Posted Jul 19, 2019 08:40 AM

This is a problem that is long overdue with the ntservices probe.  The probe should have been enhanced by now to include this functionality.  But I digress...

If you want to venture down the route of Application Discovery you could write a script to detect a service, attrib_publisher will tag the device if exists, a USM group can dynamically update based on this attribute value, a ntservices MCS profile can be applied to this USM group, then as devices gain X service they will be added to this group and MCS profile applied to them or as they are removed from the group the MCS profile is removed.

Honestly services it not what I would ideally use Application Discovery for as the ntservices probe should have enough logic built in to do what you want, but it's an alternative to get what you want done. 

• 8.  RE: Monitor NT Service only if exists

Posted Jul 19, 2019 08:44 AM

Before Knowles comes back about MCS ins and outs (putting that lite and politely), yes MCS has its issues but it is the direction everything is basically headed as we all move towards 9.x.  So be forewarned you may have to work through some kinks and strange behavior to get this working.

• 9.  RE: Monitor NT Service only if exists

Posted Jul 22, 2019 12:01 PM
    Not sure what Duryea is talking about... I love MCS... I also love root canals, hemorrhoidectomies, and stubbing my pinky toes on furniture in the dark. 

However, the solution that Chris suggests is a good one and will probably work for you once you figure out where all your furniture is.  ;-)

• 10.  RE: Monitor NT Service only if exists

Posted Jul 23, 2019 11:44 AM
    Hi. I created some shell scripts that did the same thing with processes probe. I had a list with the processes that I wanted to monitor (only if the process are present on the robot), so my script did the hard work with some PU requests (Probe Utility). I can help you, send me a e-mail (adrianomiranda@msn.com).