DX Operational Intelligence

View Only
  • 1.  SOI: WSSSAServiceCmdV2 causing "Web Request failed"

Posted Jul 13, 2021 10:57 AM
    Hi,
    I hope somebody has some ideas about the following issue:

I am exporting services from one SOI environment, using the WSSSAServiceCmdV2 command - all is working fine.
    I am doing exactly the same thing on a different SOI Server, and I am getting: 
      Response getting from Service call is:
      WSSSAServiceCmdV2() - Web Service request failed....
      Return code: 1

Any suggestion what to check is appreciated.
    It is not related to the password (that gives a totally different error).
    I am running out of ideas what else can be the issue.

Thanks
    Michael

------------------------------
    Senior Enterprise Architect
    MAXXYS AG
    Germany

• 2.  RE: SOI: WSSSAServiceCmdV2 causing "Web Request failed"

Posted Jul 14, 2021 06:08 AM
    Hi Michael, 

It's been a while but I do seem to remember a number of issues with this utility.

Is the second environment configured with SSL? I seem to remember this did not work with SSL.
    Have you tried exporting a single service and if so did it work. Again I seem to remember a memory issue when exporting large amounts of services in one go. Maybe there are some java memory settings in the cmd file you can increase. In the past, I had to do the following to transfer services from one environment to another.

1: Use a java utility (SOI REST API calls) to export the service structure (Parent-Child relationships etc.) of the services I wanted to export.
    2: I then used the wsssa command to export each service individually (using a batch script).
    3: On the new server, I did the import again using the wsssa command and the ordered list of services I got from step 1 above 

You may find that some services have special characters which the export/import cannot handle. Using the above approach made it very easy to identify the problem services.

Something else to note is that you may have problems with services that have percentage policies applied. When doing an import the utility expects to see a 4 digit percentage number ( two two-digit numbers). If a policy has 1150 it is fine but if the first half of the policy has a number below 10 then it will be exported as a single digit. So a percentage of 1 and 50 will be exported as 150 instead of the expected 0150.

You can query the database to find policies with this issue and fix them up before you do the import.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Alan

• 3.  RE: SOI: WSSSAServiceCmdV2 causing "Web Request failed"

Posted Jul 14, 2021 11:17 AM
    Hi Alan,

nice to hear from you.

Thanks for all the tips.
    Both servers are configured for SSL (identically).  Thus, it seems to work with SSL.
    I am trying to export single services only.
    The services dont have any special names (there is only one service in the second environment - where it fails - called "test").
    There are no custom policies in this service.

What I found out in the meantime is, that there are different Java versions on the two servers (the second one has an additional JRE installed, but that is the one being referenced in the Environment variables).  I am investigating further if that can have any influence.

Thanks
    Michael

MAXXYS AG
    Germany

• 4.  RE: SOI: WSSSAServiceCmdV2 causing "Web Request failed"

Posted Jul 14, 2021 11:45 AM
    If it's using e different JRE to SOI then maybe it's using the wrong truststore, cacerts file.

Alan

• 5.  RE: SOI: WSSSAServiceCmdV2 causing "Web Request failed"

Posted Jul 15, 2021 05:04 AM
    Hi Alan,

Thanks again for your reply.
    I modified the Java references to use the proper Java version, but no change.
    We finally opened a ticket at Broadcom to evaluate further.

We tried this in two new SOI environments, and it doesn't work in either of them.
    E.g. something must be different in these environments compared to the old SOI environments, where it works as expected.

Michael

MAXXYS AG
    Germany

• 6.  RE: SOI: WSSSAServiceCmdV2 causing "Web Request failed"

Posted Jul 27, 2021 03:55 AM
    Just to give an update:
    We deactivated SSL on one of the servers, and the export and import worked.
    BUT: in general SSL can't be the issue, because with identical SSL configuration (specific certificate) it works fine in two different environments.
    Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any clear reason why this is failing.
    Customer has an issue open to trace further, but there is no response yet.

Michael

MAXXYS AG
    Germany

• 7.  RE: SOI: WSSSAServiceCmdV2 causing "Web Request failed"
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 17, 2021 10:08 AM
    Latest update:
    A patch is available that is solving the issue with SSL.
    I performed tests in an environment where it was previously failing, and now all is working fine, Export and Import.
    Per Broadcom Support the patch will be included in the next cumulative release.

Michael

MAXXYS AG
    Germany