ESP dSeries Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  DE Series Make Restful Web Service Calls

Posted Mar 04, 2020 03:40 PM
    Hi Guys,

Can DE Series Make Restful Web Service Calls and handle their response codes gracefully?

I see a lot of SOAP which is a bit old hat.
    We know DE Series has interface for Restful to call DE Series to manage the running of an APPL, but I see no support for calling Restful web services externally.

Shame.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: DE Series Make Restful Web Service Calls
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 05, 2020 01:27 AM
    Hi,

In the recent Product road maps and the recent customer sprint review meeting , we announced that we are going to enhance the HTTP job and Web Services job to handle the REST API calls of external interfaces. We plan to have this feature in the next release R12.3

We will demo the changes in the customer sprint review meetings once the feature is completed. Here you can review the feature even before it is GAed and you can provide your inputs.

Can you please let me know what are the external interfaces that you want to automate using DE.

- Ravi Kiran

• 3.  RE: DE Series Make Restful Web Service Calls

Posted Mar 05, 2020 09:43 AM
    Edited by David Lock Mar 05, 2020 09:55 AM
    Hi Kunduri,

Well that's good news, except about 3-5 years behind other scheduling platforms.
    Sorry to sound off, but it is behind the times.

We build in house Restful Web Services here, and as part of our workload automation, I want to call those with ease and have the ability to manage according to the error code and message returned back.

The lack of this type of functionality puts pressure on moving off from CA DE Series to things like AirFlow.

We need more whistles and bells in DE Series.

When is 12.3 coming, can't come soon enough.   Feels like we're moving down the road with a ball and chain on enhancements.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: DE Series Make Restful Web Service Calls

Posted Mar 06, 2020 12:07 PM
    We find that what DE lacks in native functionality can often by added by running jobs that execute PowerShell.  For instance we schedule several PowerShell jobs that specifically use the Invoke-RestMethod command and pass response codes back to DE.

------------------------------
    Andy Reimer
    ------------------------------