ESP dSeries Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Support for asynchronous web service calls?

Posted Apr 23, 2020 01:23 PM
    Does the DE Web Service plugin, and more specifically the Web Service Document / Literal job type provide the ability to make asynchronous calls to a web service?  Can it provide a callback endpoint at which it can be alerted when the web service is complete (or failed)?  If so, does the job take on a different status, or does it show as executing in the monitoring view?

I'm just doing some research at this point but we currently schedule jobs that use powershell to invoke web services.  This is not asynchronous, meaning powershell keeps the connection open an waits for the web service to complete its work and reply with a HTTP 200.

Because we are rewriting Cobol jobs as web services, and because many of these jobs can take up to 30 minutes to complete, it would be desirable to have these called in an asynchronous manner.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Andy Reimer

• 2.  RE: Support for asynchronous web service calls?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 27, 2020 12:22 AM
    Hi,

I dont think we have support for asynchronous calls to a web service. I will suggest you to raise this item in the ideation here - https://community.broadcom.com/enterprisesoftware/ideation

Ravi Kiran

• 3.  RE: Support for asynchronous web service calls?

Posted Apr 27, 2020 04:56 PM
    I've added it to ideation.  Having done some further research it seems the best way to approach this right now is to request a developer to write a C# service that manages the asynchronous web call.  The C# service, when called, would show as 'executing' in Workload Automation until it hears back from the invoked web service, and that suits our purposes.

Andy Reimer

• 4.  RE: Support for asynchronous web service calls?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 28, 2020 07:49 AM
    OK. Thank you.